Managing Pain After AP Resection and Colostomy

Replies
Views
Allan69
Aug 16, 2024 9:44 am

Hi guys,

It's now nearly 5 months since my AP resection and colostomy. I am still in a lot of discomfort sitting and can only manage to drive for about an hour before it becomes too much. Has anyone had this slow recovery and can offer any advice? I have tried all types of donut cushions.

I have no problem with my colostomy bags or stoma.

IGGIE
Aug 16, 2024 12:12 pm

G-Day Allan, you have just told me why you still have pain; it's because you're using a donut cushion. They pull your cheeks apart and stop your butt from healing correctly. Throw the donut away and just get a flat soft rubber pad. They should have told you that when you had the operation. Regards, IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Aug 16, 2024 12:23 pm

Like Iggie said, a donut cushion is about the worst thing for you. Healing takes time and is very individual.

Mrivera8
Aug 16, 2024 1:08 pm

Hi Allan. I'm 3 months out from Barbie butt surgery and still have an open wound, but I did buy a nice pillow for when I'm able to sit on my butt again. It was a little pricey, but I've read it's well worth it.
thecushionlab.com

Login to see image

“Purple” is another seat cushion that post-Barbie butt patients have sworn by.
Purple.com

Login to see image

I hope you find some relief and comfort!

Staten island lady
Aug 16, 2024 1:47 pm

Hi, I had the same surgery many years ago. I also had that issue. Has anyone suggested a sitz bath? That's what they call it. You put a basin on top of the toilet seat and sit in there with warm water to ease the pain. You should consult the doctor regarding this issue. I hope you feel better very soon. Don't get discouraged; this too shall pass.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Staten island lady
Aug 16, 2024 8:08 pm

Hi, I forgot to mention asking the doctor if they still use the salve that has zinc in it. That's what I was recommended. It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Rancher
Aug 17, 2024 11:13 pm
Reply to Staten island lady

I am 8 weeks out of surgery and still have issues with my "Ken Butt." Still not good enough to go back to work. The doctor did say to put diaper rash cream on it last week. The stuff with zinc in it.

Mrivera8
Aug 17, 2024 11:42 pm
Reply to Rancher

I'm 12 weeks out and also nowhere near close to being able to return to work, which stresses me out immensely! I did get approved for short-term disability, but I'm supposed to return next week. I'll be putting in a request for an extension; unfortunately, there's no guarantee of job security though. I hope your job is understanding and offers these options for you as well.
Best of luck to you, Rancher!

AlexT
Aug 18, 2024 5:14 am
Reply to Mrivera8

Don't know what you do, but not having job security would be stressful for sure. I was almost at the max of my short-term disability when I went back to work. I'm very fortunate; my employer and union gave me short-term disability, railroad sickness benefits, paid my union dues, paid my health insurance for 6 months, etc. Plus, according to every healthcare provider I dealt with, I have top-of-the-line health insurance because all I've ever paid are copays for everything. After 6 months, my health insurance was only $100/month for up to 24 months of being off work, luckily I only had to pay for 3 months.

Mrivera8
Aug 18, 2024 1:43 pm
Reply to AlexT

Good lord! I wish that was the case for me! Our insurance is just awful. It's $1,200 a month for 3 people with a $9,000 individual deductible. After that's met, the insurance pays 100% for everything… except hyperbaric treatments 🤦🏼‍♀️

Your employer is the shit!!