How Much Stoma Powder Should I Be Using?

Replies
Views
Bilbo baggins
Sep 02, 2024 5:36 am

How much stoma powder are people using?

I asked the stoma nurse and was told, "As much as you need."

I was also told that I was using too much, and then another nurse told me I was using too little.

What does stoma powder do anyway?

Answers, please, written on a 100-dollar bill and posted to me.

AlexT
Sep 02, 2024 11:03 am

When I use it, I pour some on and then use the bottle itself facing upward to blow off the excess. Whatever sticks to my skin is how much I use. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Sep 02, 2024 11:50 am

Login to see image

Morning glory
Sep 02, 2024 12:00 pm

You need a very light dusting. You should have written instructions enclosed in your box.

w30bob
Sep 02, 2024 2:31 pm

Hi BB,

Technically, you shouldn't need any stoma powder... so why are you using it? Its purpose is to protect broken skin around the stoma from irritation. Damaged/broken skin emits water as part of the healing process, and stoma powder is to be used to absorb that moisture so another barrier can be applied. You only want to use as little as needed, as adhesives won't stick to a lot of it. You should really focus on why your skin is being damaged in the first place, fix that, and ditch the powder altogether. So the answer to your question is "only as much as needed for only as long as it's needed."

Sorry bud, but I'm shit out of $100 bills. Just used my last one to buy a Philadelphia Eagles ball cap to send to my Bro. It's football season, you know, and I want those ball players to keep making more and more money!

;O)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
infinitycastle52777
Sep 02, 2024 7:42 pm

I don't use stoma powder anymore. It was too messy for me and didn't do me any favors. I use skin protective wands right now until I run out of them. Then I'll have to use the wipes. Ugh. I think the powder is supposed to protect your skin from irritation. I don't really know what it does as it didn't do anything for me.

gentlejohn
Sep 05, 2024 2:48 pm

I use powder only if there is skin irritation and then only a dusting. And I do this in conjunction with Cavilon. If the skin is intact, I use no powder and no Cavilon. Less is better!

Powder by itself can also interfere with the barrier life.

https://www.hollister.com/-/media/files/pdfs-for-download/ostomy-care/hol_os_adapt-stoma-powder-care-tips_na_923064-1217.ashx

Hisbiscus
Sep 07, 2024 4:43 pm

I don't use stoma powder. Even with a light dusting, it caused my bag not to stick well. I don't even use a barrier wipe anymore. I just remove the adhesive and wash and rinse real well with an Ivory or Dial white soap and water, dry well, and slap that bag on.

harry113
Sep 08, 2024 2:58 am

Just to be sure you understand, you only use stoma powder if you have irritation around the stoma. If no irritation, then no powder. If you have irritation, put powder only on the irritated area and wipe off excess powder very gently with a dry cloth. I then spray skin barrier spray on my skin all around the stoma and let it dry before placing the pouch.