Endurance Athletes with Ileostomy - Hydration Tips Needed

Replies
Views
JH
Aug 19, 2024 12:56 am

Hello,

I am getting an ileostomy this fall due to uncontrolled UC, and I am an endurance athlete, mostly into cycling these days. I can be out on rides for up to 12 hours at a time, and often out on 5-6 hour rides several days a week. I'm concerned about my ability to haul water with me on these long rides. Any advice from other endurance athletes? Have you been successful at figuring out hydration especially during long events? I already use electrolytes and gels to keep myself fed and hydrated. Thanks for any advice you might have. Thanks to those who replied already, but I still am not hearing an answer to my question - I'd love to hear if there's anyone who is an endurance athlete who has experience with this. I'm not sure the people who replied understand the level of exertion I put out and the hydration required.

AlexT
Aug 19, 2024 3:05 am

Carrying water shouldn't be an issue; get one of those wicker baskets mounted on your handlebars. 😁 Your bigger issue will be stopping to empty when needed, which you'll have to adjust to, but it's totally doable.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Aug 19, 2024 6:37 am

The only problem I can see is that you might have a problem for a time after surgery if your butt's sewn up sitting on a bike seat. In 12 hours, an average bag would only need emptying once or twice, so you would probably have fewer toilet stops than you need now. Don't drink just plain water all the time, as long term it's likely to cause kidney problems.

Sasquatch
Aug 19, 2024 12:10 pm

I agree with Ben, if you're getting a proctectomy as well, that bike seat will not feel good for a while. I went back to a physically demanding job within about six weeks after the proctectomy; it was pretty uncomfortable and felt odd sitting for another few months.

IGGIE
Aug 19, 2024 1:17 pm

You can get a backpack that has a bladder in it and a straw that comes over your shoulder. The one I have holds about 4 liters of water and electrolytes. Wait until you are 100% healed before trying anything. Regards, IGGIE

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
CrappyColon
Aug 19, 2024 11:14 pm

https://a.co/d/72BOEW3

😃

rlevineia
Aug 25, 2024 1:59 pm

JH. Before U/C Crohn's ate me up, I was a hiker, rock & Mt. climber. Now too old & lost muscles. Beware, you can dehydrate very easily. Could give you kidney stones.

The answer? Camelback on your back! Mine fits into my Osprey day pack. Hands free! Angled mouthpiece sits near your mouth. Just suck it in. Got 2 & 3 liter bags. I suggest the 3 liter for long events. Remember not to gulp. Sip, rest, sip. Gulping just fills your pouch faster. Antelope Canyon, AZ

Login to see image

Cylingpilot
Aug 25, 2024 11:08 pm

Plenty of options—I've done a lot of century rides (and some near 150 miles) with an ileostomy. I've carried four bottles—two on the bike and two in waist packs, and stopped to fill them when needed. I've also used hydro packs (backpack bladder). The key is to stay on top of hydration and get the right mixture of electrolytes, from sugar-free Gatorade to DripDrops. Pick what works for you. But plan on stops to empty. That's the tough part, especially if you want to be inconspicuous.