Embracing Colostomy Bag Changes with Confidence

Replies
Views
Ostoberry
Aug 19, 2024 1:53 pm

Colostomy since June 23. I used to dread changing my appliance, but now I look forward to it. Practice makes perfect, although I don't believe I'm 100% perfect. I use a Hollister two-piece with a barrier ring and extenders on the bottom 2/3 of the wafer. I can usually get 7 days, but I never go longer even if I could.

I am very active, with a slow hour jog every morning and different resistance training 3 days in a row, then one day off. I do different exercises each day. My stomach sits on top of a softball hernia smack in the center, plus it's an outie. When I'm active, I have a belt with a pouch, really good for the pool. I wrap that with a 6-inch elastic hernia belt, no hole. It pulls that hernia in, and I don't even think about it during exercise.

On change day, I gather everything I need and put it on the tray table next to my recliner and on the floor. Tissues and wet wipes at hand. I strip off the appliance using adhesive remover wipes and clean up with wet wipes. I went a long time always showering with the appliance on, but never again. So, once I'm clean and showered, I park myself in the recliner and sit with an exposed stoma for up to 2 hours. I feel normal and so refreshed like that, and I'm thankful for how I've adjusted and accepted. I see posts of the struggles with leaks and pain, and I pray for you. Bag change makes me feel totally clean and normal, so now I look forward to it. A new clean bag is almost like no bag. I also became a rinser; anytime the bag is sticking, I just squirt tepid water at the top and swish it around. I hate feeling the poop weight against me.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 19, 2024 3:50 pm

Sitting for 2 hours with no bag. In my dreams! Yet another reason for me to be jealous of you folks with a colon. 😁

But, seriously, I always enjoy reading uplifting posts like this, especially when it comes from a recent ostomate. Thank you!

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Sasquatch
Aug 19, 2024 3:51 pm

Scheduled change day is so nice. I always take my time, set up the supplies, and the bathroom. My big cat almost always comes to visit and "supervise." It's a quiet, peaceful time for me.

AlexT
Aug 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Good to read a positive post about an ostomy and someone living life. 👍

Downtown
Aug 20, 2024 1:15 am

Awesome, you can do that; I am jealous!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 5:13 am

Thinking back, it's funny how I've evolved. I used to shower with a bag on, taking care to keep it dry. Dry off, then change the wafer. I used to wonder, "How do you clean the stoma?" I was going to ask my doctor.

Then I happened upon MaO. Duh! Take the wafer off, then shower. Easy peasy.

I'm going to get up earlier and spend more time with everything off like Ostoberry. For me, it's strange at first, having the wafer and bag off. My peristomal skin could use some fresh air and sunshine.

AlexT
Aug 20, 2024 5:50 am
Reply to Beachboy

I've gone over an hour with no bag on. Any more than that and I risk falling asleep and waking up to a mess. 😁