Holidays

Replies
Views
Melissa86
Aug 28, 2024 6:53 am

Hi all, I am flying on Friday. First time since having my stoma and I'm nervous trying to remember everything and a bit more 🤣... 

Any good advice would be more than grateful for??

Just hoping to have a good time once I land 🤣, til then a nervous wreck.

Thank you ,x

DavidK
Aug 28, 2024 7:50 am

Hiya,

Why wait 'till you land to start enjoying yourself?🤣... there no time like the present!

Whatever happens you'll be grand and more often than not, what we expect might happen, never does!.

The best advice I got for travelling was from the iasupport group. 

I've linked their information leaflet which has some great hints and tips.

https://iasupport.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/TravelTips.pdf

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Marjatta
Aug 28, 2024 9:06 am

Hi Melissa,

I'm also going on a bit of a holiday, but driving not flying. I understand your nervousness! I love David's suggestion to read the travel tips pamphlet that he provided for someone with an ileostomy - great advice there for travelling.

How long is the flight? Once you land, you should be able to get to a proper bathroom situation if you need it. In the meantime, you can certainly use the in-flight washroom just like you would at home. If you're worried about odor, bring some scentless m9 spray (or equivalent). If you do develop a leak onboard, make sure you have a quick change of clothing and ostomy supplies in your carry-on baggage. No one will notice if you change your clothes.

Are you travelling to a different country or within the UK? Once you land, an issue might be if it's a different drinking water situation - meaning you need to be super careful about ice cubes, fresh fruits and vegetables rinsed in water, and so on. We ileostomates are especially sensitive with our diets, and while it's tempting to sample a bunch of new cuisine, we may pay for it later with cramps, gas, pancaking, and/or bloating. None of these are comfortable to say the least!

Most important is to enjoy your holiday as stress-free as possible. Wishing you safe and happy travels!

M

xo

Megs
Aug 28, 2024 10:44 am

Hi Melissa

I can only give You my experiences.  I had my ileostomy in Aug 1986.  My first flight was longhaul more or less year later spending three weeks in USA.

I kept all my supplies on me.  I had to change bags in the very small toilet but very doable when you have to.  I didn't but I think you should take a change of underwear etc in case of accidents.  In those there was no trouble getting through security. These days it is good also. Empty your bag before going through. If there is a problem tell them what you have and most security staff know about ostomies now.

I kept my eating down so my bag didn't fill too often.  I had no trouble with blow out like some people do on a flight. Try and choose a seat near a toilet which will reassure you.

Good luck and hope your travel goes well.

Best wishes Megs

Justbreathe
Aug 28, 2024 10:54 am

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
IGGIE
Aug 28, 2024 2:10 pm

G-Day Malissa,  You wont have any problems, the small toilets in a plane are still OK and you will be able to change without a problem. But you may not need to change, so only worry about it if it happens. Have a good holiday. Regards IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Aug 28, 2024 6:09 pm

My biggest advice is to pack more supplies then you think you will need and keep some in your carry on and some in your luggage that way if you get separated from your luggage you still have supplies. And above all have fun!!!

Melissa86
Aug 28, 2024 9:22 pm

Thank you all for the fab advice.

I am travelling outside the UK, I've made sure to spread my supplies 🙈 and change of clothes.

What a stressful time lol 😆 

Has anyone flown with medical scissors and had any issues??

IGGIE
Aug 29, 2024 2:42 pm
Reply to Melissa86

G-Day Malissa, Your not allowed Scissors on a plain at all so cut all your bags before you go and put your Scissors in your case that goes in the hold but not on board the plain. Regards IGGIE

Emad
Sep 01, 2024 12:35 am

I've flown a few times since my surgery. I'm an old hand now, my surgery was in 2008! Change your bag the day before your flight. That way you will know that your bag is sticking well. Eat very light the day of the flight. The change in pressure can affect you ( might not) so better to play it safe. When you feel some in your bag, use the bathroom and empty a little earlier than normal, that will help ease your worry. Take many more bags than you'll need on your carry on. Have a couple cut to size. You should be able to find some small curved scissors were you're going for later. If you have the absorb gel packets, they could be a help. Pack a small pack of wipes. Its easier and quicker to clean your bag opening after emptying with them than toilet paper. Flying on a plane is just like everywhere else, don't worry and have fun!

Jams
Sep 01, 2024 5:52 am
Reply to Melissa86

I carried mine in my kit and told the TSA agent... but the most awesome thing is if you tell them your condition before you enter the line they will skip you up front and tell someone at the scanner who will scan you through. I live in Atlanta GA and our airport stays busy so any advantage I will gladly accept.

judithgrinsted
Sep 01, 2024 8:04 am

Hi Melissa, 

I fly from Bristol to Spain with Jet2 to visit my daughter. Jet2 are very helpful. I organise special assistance with them and this allows me a second cabin bag, free of charge, to carry my stoma requirements. I take double amounts of everything, the pouches pre cut and adhesive remover wipes instead of spray.  Also I asked my stoma care nurses and they gave me some drainable pouches which I use for the flights as it's easier to empty them than change pouches in the plane toilet if necessary.

Special assistance also gets you through security etc quicker and with less hassle. You only need to accept what help you feel is necessary. The biggest being the extra bag but you can only use it for your stoma stuff.

I don't know what other airlines offer.

Don't be too nervous, you'll be fine 

Enjoy yourself.  Judith.

richardsonpatrick2022
Sep 01, 2024 1:29 pm

Put a secure pack in your hand luggage just in case but I have flown many times and never had a problem. Enjoy your holiday n have a drink for me

rlevineia
Sep 01, 2024 1:34 pm

You are in the air, by now.  No great source of info re:  flying stoma.  I tried my first flight(post op) 15 mths ago.  DFW to SAN, 2+ hrs.  Only hassle was emptying in the dinky lavatory, while in rough weather.  Commode is tiny, so you must face it.  Jambed the top of my head into the bulkhead & held onto the sink w/ my rt & emptyed w/ my lt,  Wipe & closed between "bumps".  Cleaned up the mess & flushed.  NASTY!  Reminds me of horseback riding, steeplechase?   

Leaving for Tokyo in 4 wks, 13 hr flight!  I invented a portable emptying device, which I posted w/ instructions & photo on an older comment.  Works well in my "parked" car.  At least I can sit in the dinky toilet & use 2 hands.  I'll say hi to Godzilla, for ya.

IGGIE
Sep 01, 2024 2:58 pm
Reply to rlevineia

G-Day rlevineia,  I am interested in your Portable emptying device. Could you please show it again. I never know how to find old postings. Regards IGGIE

Pouch Potato
Sep 01, 2024 9:11 pm
Reply to rlevineia

I'd love the info on your portable emptying device too!

sanhrnby
Sep 01, 2024 9:35 pm

Hi Melissa, I have hit the skies twice since having my stoma last year. Like you I was very anxious. The best advice I can give is to pack double the supplies needed and pack half in your main luggage and half in your hand luggage along with any meds. This is incase your luggage goes missing. Also, go to the customer service desk at the airport and ask for a sunflower lanyard. It saves having to explain your hidden disability. Going through security I was stopped as they had picked up my stoma bag on the xray, which I was expecting. They were very nice and explained they would take me into a private area to check I wasnt carrying drugs. I had to pat my hands over the bag and they drug swabbed my hand. Most airports recognise the sunflower lanyard and fast track you through check in and security. Hope this helps.

sanhrnby
Sep 01, 2024 9:39 pm
Reply to Melissa86

Don't take medical scissors as they are not allowed. Instead, pre cut your bags before you leave home

Pouch Potato
Sep 11, 2024 12:23 am

I just learned about the sunflower lanyards, and think it's a fabulous program. But, neither San Francisco nor Oakland airports are in the program! I am shocked and appalled by this! The disability rights movement started in Berkeley after all. I wish I knew how to get them to join in. I'm flying out of SFO next week for my first flight since my surgery. It would be nice if I could get a lanyard there and people knew what it was for. Oh well, I'll see how things go...

Amac
Sep 11, 2024 8:11 am

Hi Melissa86

I'm new to this site, wish I had found it sooner,

I travelled from IRL to Austria in June,  first time flying with my stoma.

I carry a small bag with enough products for 2 changes daily & I brought this onto my flight with precut bags, 

The rest of my products incl scissors were in my main check in case and I brought enough for 2 weeks + 2 extra changes, 

I also was given in hospital a small card with my details written on it and an explanation in different languages as to my condition,  this was so helpful especially in Germany.  I produced it to security and was shown through a different area , staff were very understanding. 

Finally don't worry who will see you or look at you the person beside you is the one that loves you. 

P.s. let the airline know you are travelling with a stoma