Inquiring minds.. wanna know

Replies
Views
Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 4:42 am

Ever wonder how much poop can accumulate in the colon?  Glad you asked.  The average person's colon can often hold 8 to 25 lbs of accumulated fecal matter.  So.... some people really are:  Full of crap.

How long is the average colon?  Glad you asked.  It's average length in an adult human is 65 inches (166 cm) for males, and 61 inches (155 cm) for females.

Who invented the Ostomy pouch?  Glad you asked.  In 1954,  Elise Sørensen, a Danish nurse, invented the disposable colostomy bag.  Attachable through an adhesive ring, and very similar to the devices used today.

Coloplast, which has its headquarters in Humlebæk north of Copenhagen, was founded in 1957 on the basis of Elise's ostomy pouch production. Today Coloplast is a world-wide company with more than 7000 employees. 

Have a nice day. 😉

Bill
Aug 20, 2024 7:18 am

Hello Beachboy.
Thanks for this information. It feels satisfying to think that we may be less 'full of crap' than the average person without a stoma.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Aug 20, 2024 9:15 am

G-Day Mr Information.   IGGIE

CrappyColon
Aug 20, 2024 12:54 pm

My colon was 1.5 ft longer than it should have been.. not fun when you don’t have much real estate space to spare. 😝

Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 1:53 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Hi IGGIE,

I knew I forgot something in my "wanna know" compilation.

Ever wonder where the IGGIE clip originated? Glad you asked.  Australian Ostemate IGGIE devised a way to secure pouch drains utilizing a paper binder clip.  😉

I use the clip every day.

Thanks IGGIE.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 2:04 pm
Reply to Bill

Hi Bill,

I was amazed to discover... 8 to 25 pounds.  Even more amazing... humans can live just fine without a colon.  😎

I always take the time, to read your poetic rhyme.  😉

Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 2:21 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Hello,

I read my surgical report.  Discovered 12.5 inched of my colon was removed.  I wondered,  "is that alot?"  I researched colon statistics.  Was very interesting.  Each colon section has an average length.  Ascending colon: About eight inches long.  Transverse colon: Usually over 18 inches long. Descending colon: Usually less than 12 inches long.  Sigmoid colon: About 18 inches long.  And Rectum: The last segment before the anus, about 6 inches long.

The colon's diameter varies by segment, with the cecum being about 3.5 inches, the transverse colon about 2.5 inches, and the descending colon about 1.2 inches. 

Your colon was too long by 1.5 feet.  Did that, by itself, cause trouble?  

Morning glory
Aug 20, 2024 4:29 pm

Interesting  read BB

Jayne
Aug 20, 2024 5:18 pm
Reply to Bill

Laughing - : ) ) ) )

now where's those emojos  .....  windows key and period ..... not on this old machine .....        NOTHING HAPPENS

and when it overflows ...... then it streams out ...............Yeah, I know ----- TMI / too many words from me .

:-)

but I will check to remedy

;-)

:-)

Jayne
Aug 20, 2024 5:27 pm
Reply to Beachboy

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - interesting - takes sooooooooooo much research to find this specific data elsewhere -

Thanks for this summary and relevant question as to what happens to what extent when 'which' bit is removed / reduced.

TerryLT
Aug 20, 2024 8:21 pm

Stats like that make me even more grateful to have no colon anymore!  I feel positively light as air!  I have no doubt about the numbers at all.  When I was in hospital with my first bowel obstruction, and had my colostomy, so still had my colon, the amount of stuff that came out of me when it was finally draining, was unbelievable.  

Terry

CrappyColon
Aug 20, 2024 10:09 pm
Reply to Beachboy

It contributed to a lot of later issues up until the colon was removed. The colon probably stretched out from a ‘typical’ length to a ‘how did she live like this’ length within the last 3 years it took up residential space in my body. Based on what I could feel & symptoms, I think there was complete paralysis then the final years it tried to adapt by stretching beyond its capacity and got pushed up way too high in my abdominal cavity. My surgeon knew going in would be a bit trickier thanks to it being up in the spleen’s business… she & her team had not anticipated that extra 1.5ft. I asked for pictures 😁

Beachboy
Aug 20, 2024 11:13 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Thanks for your reply.  I'm amazed at all the different ways our digestive systems can cause trouble.  I've watch a few videos of surgeries... How do surgeons, do it ????   Looked like a bunch of mush to me.

IGGIE
Aug 21, 2024 6:25 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you BB, I hope the IGGIE Clip as helped a lot of our friends, It's a cheap and easy was to not only secure the end of the bag but allows you to shorten the bag as much as you wish.  Regards IGGIE

Beachboy
Aug 21, 2024 6:42 am
Reply to IGGIE

Used to be, my bag bottom would peek out from under my shirt.  Now, my wife no longer points and says "hey.. hey.. hey."  😀

vanestag
Aug 25, 2024 6:57 pm
Reply to Beachboy

How interesting! Thanks