Is It Normal to Have Reduced Sperm Production After Surgery?

Replies
Views
eab3691
Aug 22, 2024 10:12 pm

I had gut surgery and a colostomy bag put on this past May. I'll go back in February for a reversal. Since my surgery, my sexual desire and ability to get erect hasn't really changed, but although I can orgasm, there's little to no sperm coming from my orgasm since the surgery. Is this normal? Will it ever go back to normal?

w30bob
Aug 23, 2024 2:29 am

Hi e,

What type of ostomy exactly did you get? You say "colostomy bag," but many people use that term as a catch-all phrase for all types of ostomies. I ask because having a dry orgasm as a result of a colostomy or ileostomy is very rare. It's more common with a urostomy... and it's called a retrograde ejaculation. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've read it's caused by nerve damage done during your ostomy operation. I'd be talking to both my surgeon and my gastroenterologist about this to see what can be done. I really don't know if it's correctable... or even if that's what you've got going on. But most likely they could find out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Aug 23, 2024 5:09 am

Well... at least you got 1 out of 2. After my medical adventure, I have...0. It is disquieting. Mine is due to nerve damage during extensive pelvic surgery. I also got a permanent colostomy as a bonus.

Past Member
Aug 23, 2024 1:32 pm
Reply to w30bob

After a panprocolectomy, that can happen to you because of all the sensitive nerves. Trust me, I'm hoping with time everything down there will sort itself out.

warrior
Aug 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Good topic. Sensitive area. Thank you for posting it.

If you can get erect and still have the desire and orgasm, I'm jealous. I'm zero for zero, dude. Ileo here 8 years. There is no pill for that when you are cut up down there. Thinking... JFK-dead...

Almost a year after Ken's butt surgery - total proctocolectomy - I would say you are in better shape than most of us at 60. Good for you.

Been told nerves will heal, but you gotta think about testosterone at our age. Like cheap gas, it's gone.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Douglas john
Aug 23, 2024 5:55 pm

Hero to zero following surgery. Very frustrating.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 23, 2024 6:36 pm

I don't know the extent of your surgery, but after my complete colectomy, I had (and still do) issues with sperm production. My left testicle also ached for a few months following my surgery, up to the point I saw a urologist about it. He found nothing wrong and had little to no insight into what was causing the ache. At that time, I was unaware of the sperm production reduction. (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) A while later, I happened to reread the surgical report of my colectomy. The first 11 times I read it, I completely missed that the arteries to both testicles had been clamped during the frenzy to fish pieces of my colon out of my belly. The light finally came on. It certainly could explain the ache, especially now that it is no longer there. However, the sperm reduction is still there. Of course, I am 76 and you are not. Sex isn't as high on the agenda as it once was. :-)

Daniel

Beachboy
Aug 23, 2024 7:18 pm

My wife underwent a total hysterectomy a year before my medical adventure. So... we're now even. I can't do it... neither can she.

Past Member
Aug 23, 2024 7:30 pm

I had a panproctocolectomy and it was July 2; I'm still having problems. If I put in the effort, I can get it up but can't ejaculate. Also, I still have an open wound healing, so I really haven't been in the mood for anything.

Douglas john
Aug 24, 2024 5:49 pm

Well, I find the catastrophe's inability very, very frustrating 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

eab3691
Aug 24, 2024 11:40 pm

I appreciate all the answers... They mean a lot... My prayers go out to you guys... 

I called the nurse and came clean on my issue. She said I'd have to go to a urologist. She said my surgeon really can't help me in that department (even though that's what caused it).

Beachboy
Aug 25, 2024 12:00 am
Reply to Douglas john

I hear ya. Sometimes it's just nice to know it works, even if we don't use it much.

Have you consulted with a urologist? My uro advised me about exercising the penis with a vacuum pump. I know... sounds a little funny. But he was serious. Blood flow needs to be maintained. A vacuum pump can help with erectile dysfunction, but it is not a cure. Nor will it help with orgasm nerve damage.

Men concerned about this should be evaluated by an experienced and dedicated urologist. My uro was really cool about it. Very professional. Good luck.

Past Member
Aug 25, 2024 12:14 am
Reply to eab3691

Yeah, that's the shitty part. I'm waiting the 3-month period out, then if things don't start getting lively, I'm going to a urologist.

Gemini16
Aug 25, 2024 3:07 am
Reply to Beachboy

I feel ya.