Pancaking

Replies
Views
grammalin
Aug 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on ostomy bag pancaking?

Mysterious Mose
Aug 25, 2024 8:01 pm

Do you have an ileostomy or a colostomy? Solutions can be a little different depending on your type of ostomy. There are many reasons for pancaking, from sleep position, the type of appliance you are using, your body type, etc. If you search for "pancaking" here, you will get a ton of hits. It's a popular subject. :-)

Can you describe your issue? When are you most likely to encounter pancaking? Is it when you sleep? Or is it a constant issue, whether you are upright or prone? Pancaking is caused by stool that sits around your stoma and causes a breakdown in your seals. This often happens with thick stool, although any form of stool that is allowed to accumulate around your stoma will do the trick. Sometimes, the appliance is at fault. Like maybe you are using a flat barrier instead of convex. Or maybe you neen to use barrier rings as an addition to your wafer.

More information about your situation would be really helpful.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Sasquatch
Aug 25, 2024 8:23 pm

As Mose said, knowing more info on what you have going on will help. We, as a group have lots of advice.  My take, having an ileostomy, is that you may need a little more liquid in your diet.  That may not be your solution, but I'm just giving you something, trying to help.

MsPriss
Aug 25, 2024 9:46 pm

I have been having this issue, not necessarily with it staying that way, but with it clogging/ruining the filter on my bags. I sleep on my right side, with a pillow pressed up against me. 

I’m not sure how to get around this, besides peeling off and resticking my bag sideways at night (which I am considering!)

Mysterious Mose
Aug 25, 2024 11:18 pm
Reply to MsPriss

What bags are you using? Filters on ostomy pouches are notorious for get plugged in about 27 minutes. :-)

Daniel

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
grammalin
Aug 25, 2024 11:36 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hollister two piece

Beth22
Aug 26, 2024 12:48 am

For pancaking keep  little air in the bag around your stoma.. (but you either have to cover the filter or go filter less bags) and like mysterious mouse said filters are known to get clogged.

MsPriss
Aug 26, 2024 12:54 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Coloplast Sensura Mio Flex two piece.

I had no problems in the hospital or probably for the first week I’ve been home, but as I’ve been home I’ve moved around more at night and I also started snacking later in the evening (which I didn’t do in the hospital). 

AlexT
Aug 26, 2024 1:54 am

Filters are basically worthless. Air in the bag, lubricant, more fluids, rinse your bag out when you empty to keep it clean. 

Mysterious Mose
Aug 26, 2024 3:40 pm
Reply to grammalin

Yes. I use the Hollister two-piece, as well. The filter is pretty much useless. I've heard the same about other vendors.

MsPriss
Aug 26, 2024 5:37 pm
Reply to AlexT

I do rinse when I empty, and use lubricant every time. I could probably use to have more fluids, my output is pretty solid. 

I wondered why they sold bags without a filter, I’m starting to get it. 

grammalin
Aug 26, 2024 6:16 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I use hollister two piece.  I do have a hernia.  I think trying another appliance might be good, but don’t even know what to try.it pancakes even while I am just sitting in my chair.  What is the convex?  I don’t really know what else to try.  I am trying to drink more water, and do have a lubricant that helps some.

grammalin
Aug 26, 2024 6:17 pm
Reply to MsPriss

What lubricant do you prefer?

MsPriss
Aug 26, 2024 6:51 pm
Reply to grammalin

So I was given samples of the Brava in the packets. I liked it, so I bought a box. Before I even opened it, my sister brought me a “care package” and brought me Safe & Simple (unscented) deodorant and lubricant, I use that at home - it’s in a large bottle. I use the packets when I go out. 

Then my insurance provider sent me a box, and they have another large bottle of lubricating deodorant - not sure the brand? I have the one my sister gave me.

I have not noticed a difference, except the Brava has a scent - I like the packets for my purse.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 26, 2024 7:13 pm
Reply to grammalin

There are two basic types of wafers. One is flat and the other is convex. The convex is best if your stoma does not protrude very much from your body. The convex will help "push" it out more. My stoma protrudes almost two inches, but I still use the convex barrier. I find it seals better. Especially when I use a thin barrier ring, as well.

Daniel

MsPriss
Aug 26, 2024 7:54 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I requested a sample of a convex bag and the rep said “well if yours protrudes, you won’t need it!”

I mean, isn’t that what samples are for, to see if something might work better? 

AlexT
Aug 26, 2024 8:03 pm
Reply to MsPriss

And that’s when you say 1 of 2 things…..1) it doesn’t and I’d like to try your product OR 2) I guess I’ll go with another company for my business. 

gentlejohn
Aug 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Pancaking:  The best management is to use a combination lubricant/deodorant with many of the ostomy manufactures offer.  I use Hollister Adapt Lubricant.  No pancaking problems.  

Mysterious Mose
Aug 26, 2024 11:00 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

So, you have an ileostomy. During your multiple bag empties a day, how many time do you add lubricant? If only once or twice, do you rinse your bag during dumps? I ask this because the lubricant in stupidly expensive. If it is used after every dump, one will run out soon. And Medicare is not as generous as my private insurance was.

Thanks,

Daniel

kimbrookskdb
Aug 27, 2024 6:51 pm
Reply to AlexT

New Ostomate what are filter really for? I thought it was to keep pouch from ballooning from gas. How does it relate to pancaking?

Sasquatch
Aug 27, 2024 7:39 pm
Reply to kimbrookskdb

You are correct. The intended purpose is to vent gas, although they normally fail within a day of use. Pancaking can happen from a few causes. If the output is too thick, or if the output can't move to bottom of the bag. A little gas in the will help that, if the bag is completely empty of gas it's kind of like a vacuum, output can build up around the stoma and cause leakage.

MsPriss
Aug 27, 2024 8:39 pm
Reply to Sasquatch

Mine is thick, and the pancaking happens when I have output at night.

I’m trying to drink more water, and stop eating at least 3 hours before bed (which helps with sleep quality, indigestion, all kinds of benefits). 

wef
Aug 28, 2024 12:12 pm
Reply to grammalin

I'm an Ileo and use Hollister 2 piece with an 8805 ring. The sitting position can be disastrous for me. I've tried lube, toilet paper in the bag with no help. My stoma is right at the beltline and I wear suspenders.  After sitting for an extended amount of time and feeling activity from the stoma, I get up and move around. If I do that soon enough, the output flows down the bag. It seems like any pressure in front of the stoma causes pancaking for me. I'm pretty active and tried a Stealth Belt and that made the problem worse. I cut an opening in the expensive Stealth Belt opposite of the stoma. This relieved any pressure in front of the stoma but still had support for the pouch.  Anymore I use either a Coloplast or the Hollister belts and don't sit for long. 

wef
Aug 28, 2024 12:23 pm
Reply to kimbrookskdb

With a good rinse job, I can get 2 days for the filter.