High Protein Recipes or Snack Ideas

Replies
Views
Mrivera8
Aug 27, 2024 5:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm curious if anyone has any high-protein recipes they can share or high-protein snacks to suggest? I've been trying to help aid in healing my wound from a proctectomy but am struggling with options; Ensure protein shakes, pumpkin seeds, beef jerky, eggs, fish, and chicken have been my main diet since May. So, if there's a tasty recipe you'd like to share, my taste buds thank you in advance! :)

Staten island lady
Aug 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Hi, have you tried chickpeas? Hummus is made from chickpeas.

I make pasta with chickpeas. Very good! Look up a recipe!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Aug 27, 2024 8:09 pm

I ate lots of protein bars. Mainly chocolate. Easy to take with you. I take a couple with me while bike riding.

Mrivera8
Aug 27, 2024 11:41 pm
Reply to Staten island lady

I’ll definitely be trying this! Thank you! 

Mrivera8
Aug 27, 2024 11:44 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I’ve been trying to find chocolate ones that don’t have peanut butter in them but have had no luck. Do you remember the name of the brand you bought? Maybe Google can point me to the right place. 😆

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
Aug 28, 2024 1:10 am

Ratio yogurt. It's a bit expensive, but if I remember correctly, it's 30g of protein. It's very good, and I bought mine from Walmart. I would still eat it regularly, but my cheap ass can't bring myself to spend that much. 🫣 Otherwise, what you're eating is about as good as it gets for protein numbers.

MildCapricorn76
Aug 28, 2024 2:49 am

If you can do dairy, Fairlife milk has higher protein content than other brands. You can also add protein powder to things like oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, etc., to bump up the protein levels. Also, if you do Instagram or Facebook, @the_plant_slant is a nutritionist who does a lot of content around protein goals/intake.

Beachboy
Aug 28, 2024 6:25 am
Reply to Mrivera8

I eat Clif Builders Protein bars.  Chocolate mint flavor.  Available on Amazon.

Marjatta
Aug 28, 2024 6:43 am

I know what you mean about getting enough protein in your diet in a tasty, economical way. I'm a huge egg lover, and I found this amazingly versatile Cheesy Mushroom Spinach Egg Casserole recipe online. I've made it a couple of times, once adding halved grape tomatoes on top, and it was beyond delicious!

Here's a picture of mine, as well as a link to the recipe online:

Login to see image

https://whatagirleats.com/spinach-and-mushroom-casserole/

Enjoy!

w30bob
Aug 28, 2024 6:43 am

Hi M,

From the foods you listed, it sounds like you're getting plenty of protein already. You can only absorb 25-30 grams of protein in the time between meals because proteins aren't absorbed instantly. So fast proteins, like whey, are absorbed at a rate of 10 grams per hour, while slow proteins, like eggs, are absorbed at only 3 grams per hour. Eating any more than you can absorb in the timeframe between your meals (or snacks) is just a waste and will end up in your bag. Those numbers assume you have all your small bowel to do the absorption; if any is missing, your absorption rate will be lower. Just food for thought!

;O)

infinitycastle52777
Aug 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Boost makes a high-protein shake. I don't know if Ensure has a high-protein one as well. You might compare the labels. Greek yogurt is high in protein. I am currently trying to up my protein intake too, to try and thicken up my ileostomy output. I eat a lot of chicken because a single serving of chicken has about 27g of protein in it, which is a lot. Turkey is good for protein too. You can make ground turkey sloppy joes really easily with a can of sloppy joe mix and a pound of ground turkey. Bread has some protein in it, and pasta has protein in it. Cheese too. Havarti cheese has a lot of protein in it.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 30, 2024 3:55 pm

You can get protein powders and bars too to increase your protein. Protein powder can be mixed into a milkshake and can come in different flavors: vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter. Peanut butter powder is also an option for blending into milkshakes. It helps with hydration too. You can get snack bars that are protein-related. Pure Protein makes some. So does Atkins if you want to go the low-sugar route. Nuts are high in protein too, so snack on some if you can. I can't eat nuts, but I have an ileostomy that is very picky. Some people can eat nuts though. Just be careful. Chew well. Creamy peanut butter is another option if you can't eat nuts whole.

B@tLady
Aug 31, 2024 3:41 pm

I've had some issues with decreased appetite and recently found an easy way to get protein. A 1/2 scoop of unflavored Whey Protein Powder by UNJURY (10g Pro), mixed in 8 oz. water (takes some really good shaking to blend), add a squirt of MIO water enhancer (I like Orange Tangerine). Goes down easy and ramps up the day's protein intake when I'm just weary of choosing and chewing solid food. Also helps with hydration.

rlevineia
Sep 01, 2024 2:12 pm
Reply to Mrivera8

I have 3 for ya. Zone, Qwest & Pure Protein. I'm a chocoholic. I like Zone's Chocolate Graham the best.

sharradams
Sep 01, 2024 5:46 pm
Reply to Staten island lady

Try Minimalist Baker website. I love making protein bars (cheaper). I love RX and other protein bars.

Pouch Potato
Sep 02, 2024 3:19 am

I make a "smoothie" with Naturade Protein Powder (2 scoops), 1/2 banana, 1/4 avocado, 12-14 oz milk and blend it all up. Pretty tasty and all good for you!

Tinky
Sep 11, 2024 1:18 pm

Bolthouse Farms chocolate drink has 30 gm. of protein and if you freeze it you have a Wendy's Frosty. 

It has all the vitamins and minerals you can want without any of that nasty cardboard taste of other protein products.  No pasty dry feel in your mouth. 

And if you really want to heal quickly check out Juven. You can get it in a few places, but it's expensive.  I'm blessed with a couple of great wound care docs and they both have listened and helped me so much.