What Do You Keep in Your Go Kit for Ostomy Care?

Replies
Views
Stoma hat
Sep 01, 2024 5:57 pm

I am fairly new as a permanent colostomate with surgery just about 2 years ago. I still feel new as I am in a small town, and the only other person I know with an ostomy is newer than me.

One of the things I would enjoy hearing from you folks is what goes with you when you are away from the house, what tips and tricks you have learned. I have had some powerful (read messy) public bathroom learning experiences that have made me come up with some stuff that makes me wonder how others deal with what I have dealt with.

One of the biggest things is in those bathrooms where there is no work surface, how do you handle this?

I have collected an assortment of suction cups, magnetic hooks, and Command hangers so that I can hang my ostomy kit from the stall wall or the wall behind the toilet so that I don't have to work off the floor.

I use (almost exclusively) 2-piece closed-end bags with biodegradable liners. I can flush the bag, but when I have the bag off for a change, if I have to bend over (if I am working off the floor), my stoma touches my leg, and I get a mess. Thus, the reason for the assortment of things to hang my kit off the wall.

So, do you folks experience this? What do you do?

Thanks!

Stoma Hat

Ben38
Sep 01, 2024 7:13 pm

1 ostomy bag folded in half in my pocket plus a throwaway bag to put the used bag in... New ostomy bag goes down the back of my trousers until the bag is taken off and skin has a quick wipe with toilet tissue, then apply the new bag. It's just an emergency change; you can do a proper job when you're home if needed... It's seen me right for over 30 years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
Sep 01, 2024 7:17 pm

Sixty years with an ileostomy and I've never had anything like this occur.  Maybe I'm missing something, but perhaps you ought to consider switching to open end pouches.  When I'm out and have to use a public toilet, I just dump, wipe & close the same as when I'm home.  The only thing I don't have with me when I do this is a pouch deodorizer (I use baking soda), but since I'll be going home soon, I don't worry about it.  I've often wondered why anyone would use a pouch that they can't just readily empty and move on.  As far as a "kit" is concerned, if I'm not going anywhere overnight or longer, I never bother.  Why bother?  If something happens, I can just drive home and take care of it in my bathroom.

xnine
Sep 01, 2024 7:23 pm

I keep everything for a full change in a zip lock. Bag, flange, remover wipe, skin prep wipe, flange extenders, trash bag, etc.

warrior
Sep 01, 2024 7:42 pm

Welcome, Stoma Hat!

Good to hear from you after having a stoma for 2 years. How'd you find us? Have you seen other topics here discussed regarding a travel kit?

I must say, at first glance at your handle, I thought, "How interesting, a product such as a stoma hat would help us?"

I'm just thinking of an umbrella-type butt plug here. My bad.

W30bob is our expert on... well... just about everything from soup to nuts. I am sure he has a comment or two on hats.

How'd you come up with that? It's an eye-catcher, dude. I like it.

Beautiful puppy you got there too. Black lab?

Roswell. Last time I was in New Mexico, I had to visit the "alien" city. Seeing aliens (mannequins) on rooftops was pretty cool. Must be a hoot around Halloween.

As far as a kit, there are traveling kits we have discussed, and some have mentioned toilet kits. I gotta tell you, if I was using the men's room, the urinal for example, and saw you come in with all that stuff you mentioned, I would pee myself running out to get security. 😉😆

Never heard of what you described ever being used for the toilet stall. Hangers? Clips? Gee whiz, how large is your bag, man? 😳 And your kit sounds like a suitcase.

Others here will chime in. These folks have colostomies and might agree with me that what you are bringing in is overkill.

The "ass hat" that I am is an ileo... not a colostomy. A drainable pouch. I bring nothing into the stall except a bottle of water, if that. Line the throne with toilet paper and drain into it. Some sit on the toilet backward, some stand above the toilet, others kneel. Pretty simple, letting gravity do its thing and a squeeze here and there.

Have you figured out how to stop these auto-flush toilets? Otherwise, that security guard is calling for backup. Word!

It's been suggested to use those paper post-its to cover the sensor on the toilet. Sheer genius too. Should include that in your kit. Others bring baby wipes to clean the end, but you are using throwaway bags. The baby wipes you need for those "whoops" moments.

Also, I am told having a colostomy you can irrigate. Have you heard of doing that? Some report they "go" a few days after doing it.

That is an ileostomy person's wet dream.

Hope this helps you... and brought some smiles to those of us needing it.

Stay tuned and again, welcome home. 👍

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
warrior
Sep 01, 2024 7:51 pm
Reply to HenryM

Nailed it Henry. 

w30bob
Sep 01, 2024 7:59 pm

Hi Stoma,

I'm with Henry on this one... I would NEVER attempt to change my barrier (or in your case barrier/bag combo) in public. That's just asking for trouble. Switch to a 2-piece or a 1-piece with an emptyable bag. I mean, why wouldn't you? Maybe I'm missing something here too... if so, please let us know.

;O)

warrior
Sep 01, 2024 8:05 pm
Reply to w30bob

I'll say you missed something, bro... (imitate airplane zooming overhead). My "hat" is off to you. 😆😅🤣

w30bob
Sep 01, 2024 8:11 pm
Reply to warrior

What were you told about drinking on Sunday? We're not relapsing again, are we?

Mooooooom... he's at it again!!!

;O)

TerryLT
Sep 01, 2024 8:56 pm

I'm also with Henry on this one. Why don't you use an open-ended pouch? I've never even considered changing my appliance in a public washroom. Emptying in a public washroom is the same as at home, with the exception of my clean freak need to wipe the toilet seat with a wet wipe and then dry with paper towel, if available, or toilet paper if not. There is no difference from what I do at home. On the subject of go kits, I don't have one unless I'm going somewhere for a long period, like overnight. Then my kit will contain everything I need to make a change. I forgot to include scissors in my kit back in the early days, and have never done so since!

Terry

Terry

warrior
Sep 01, 2024 10:10 pm
Reply to w30bob

😵‍💫🤪 Remember bro... I was her fav... She wouldn't believe you... even if I got caught red-handed with a bottle... Boom. Hurts, doesn't it? Not being so special on that bus, huh... 🤣

Beachboy
Sep 01, 2024 11:16 pm

Like my experienced counterparts have mentioned: Get a drainable bag. I have a permanent colostomy. I use the Hollister 2-piece system.

When out and about, I carry a folded-up spare bag and disposal bag. These two items fit in my jeans pocket.

If I'm out at dinner/movies and my bag starts filling up, I hit the bathroom. Grab a paper towel, enter the stall, fold the paper towel over the flush sensor, and put a generous amount of toilet paper in the bowl. Drain the bag quickly, not perfectly, then secure the drain. Pop the bag off the wafer, clean the wafer flange if necessary, snap on a new bag, and put the old pouch in the disposal bag, securing it with a knot. Pull off the paper towel, flush, toss the old bag, wash hands... done. It takes me less than 5 minutes. My car has a plastic tote with a complete supply kit if my stoma decides to take a walk on the wild side. Haven't needed it in 2 years so far.

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 1:22 pm

I think Stoma Hat was interested in knowing about two separate carrying kits.

1- A kit to bring into a toilet stall or lavatory, which makes no sense with a drainable pouch. But he uses and chose closed, therefore creating his own demise.

2- A kit for road trips, which has been discussed above.

Most men's rooms are equipped with a baby diaper changing table. If you needed a complete appliance change for a blowout at a restaurant or Home Depot, that can be very challenging—I would not recommend that, as fellow members agreed. Get home to do it. Also, the complete blowout is your fault, not checking for a breach prior to leaving the house. This is a good and necessary habit. Check the appliance before leaving and sleeping.

My blowouts occur while sleeping. Never had one during the day. I'm very confident in my appliance. It's a good one. Works for me.

Those extender C-strips are a must. If you see a breach forming when entering a place to eat or shop, get home.

ron in mich
Sep 02, 2024 1:51 pm

Hi all, when I was a newbie 30 some years ago, all I took with me was an extra clip for the end of my pouch as I figured that was the weakest link in my system. Unfortunately, I used the clip for too long, and one broke while I was in a fast food restaurant and proceeded to have shit running down my leg. After a quick cleanup in the bathroom, I went home and showered, and to this day, all I bring with me is an extra clip.

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 4:42 pm
Reply to ron in mich

The thrill of victory... the agony of defeat....

Days later----- uhh huh.. someone censoring our comments again? 

IGGIE!     !!IGGIE!  didn't u have a similar issue addressed my the adim?? 

They replaced  de- sheet..with defeat. totally voids the punch line changing the true idea behind the word  sheet. . And it's not fabric I'm talking about. 

Stoma hat
Sep 02, 2024 9:52 pm
Reply to Ben38

I am responding to the many of you who have given me feedback. I am amazed at those of you who have many years with a colostomy who do not have periodic accidents... just amazed.

Wow, I bow to your years of experience; I guess I am still recovering from the trauma of stage 4 colon cancer. When I left the hospital, it was with no instruction and the poorest quality bags and barriers. I had frequent public mishaps, shot poo all over the floor of Walgreens one day. Now I go nowhere without a change of clothes and a small bit of everything I have at home. I got so burned out on trying to make open-ended bags work, especially because I could not figure out how to clean the end, the drain hole. I felt like I had a filthy thing hanging in my pants, and the rigid plastic on the opening frequently stabs my leg. Plus, I find it really awkward sitting backwards on the toilet to empty the thing. I get it, I am a newbie, and I am in a small town where even the doctor and nurses don't know much about this stuff. I don't change my barrier when I am out unless, of course, it comes off, which it did frequently with the brand they sent me home with. Also, due to the trauma of the chemo, surgery, and cancer itself, it is really hard to control the consistency of my stool. It is often so liquid, it would be very hard to leave a place and drive home without leaving a trail.

Where I live, it is rural; there are very few bathrooms with baby changing stalls. It seems like I am forever working off the floor. That's all I can type for now. Thanks all.

MsPriss
Sep 02, 2024 10:39 pm

Do you not have space on the toilet paper holder? I'd prep beforehand—fresh liner to put in the bag, some toilet paper and/or a wipe of some kind. You could even put the fresh liner in your front pocket or tuck it into your underwear waistband.

What are you having to bend over and pick up?

Are you seated on the loo then bending over, or standing and bending? I can stand and bend over with plenty of clearance for my stoma (from my leg).

To answer your question, for now I'm using a drainable—I'm a woman, there are hooks for my purse, and I have plenty of space to bring what I want. I fill up my peri bottle with water, go into the stall, and put the bottle on the TP holder while I push out my output (rather solid) into the toilet. I try to aim near the front where the water is shallow to avoid splash. I use TP to wipe the end, then rinse a couple of times with the water. Plenty of people skip this step entirely; it is not required. I then use TP to wipe out the outlet of the drainable and dry it. In public, I use a single-use lubricating deodorant—I've had more accidents with the deodorant than the poo! I roll it back up and wash my hands. Wipes are discouraged for cleaning your skin, but I don't see a reason not to use them to clean the outlet (but don't flush; also, women's loos have nice little trash cans). More experienced people could correct me if this is bad.

I did buy water wipes so that I can use them in an emergency to clean my skin if I have a disaster, started carrying those.

So I carry water wipes, an extra wafer and bag, and a sample one-piece (if I was using one-pieces, I'd just carry those), a peri bottle, some adhesive remover wipes, and some lubricating deodorant samples. I do carry a change of clothes (black shirt, black leggings) in the car, in case of a disaster. 

Beachboy
Sep 03, 2024 2:42 am

I have a colostomy, never had a leak or blowout. Here's exactly what I use:

Flange or wafer: Hollister 11204 CeraPlus

Pouch or bag: Hollister 18194 New Image drainable pouch.

Moldable ring: Coloplast Brava moldable ring, 2.0 mm thick, 2-inch diameter.

I've never had a wafer come loose. I shower with the bag on all the time. Sometimes 3 times with the same wafer. Fabric tape remains stuck. I usually change the bag after drying off. Or if I'm in a hurry... use toilet paper to blot up excess moisture on the wafer & bag... and dress and go. The bag dries soon enough.

You can get free samples from Hollister and all the other ostomy supply manufacturers. Just look them up on the internet... call them. They also have ostomy nurses on staff for consultation.

After draining my bag, I use folded toilet paper to wipe the 2 plastic seals at the end of the bag. It's easy to do. If the poop is sticky, put a little water on the paper.

Also, I remove as much poop as possible in the entire drain area. I squeeze it back up into the bag. That way, when I fold the drain up... it's not squishy when I press on the velcro. Start at the middle of the velcro, press. Work toward the sides. Always give a slight tug on the velcro to ensure it's tight.

When I drain: Sometimes I stand, leaning toward the bowl...

Other times I sit normally, just scooted back a bit. Tip one... don't allow the bottom of the bag to flail about... you'll get poop everywhere. Slowly push out poop, controlling tip wiggle. I've gotten in a hurry before... ended up with poop all over my legs, Mr. penis, my fingers, and underwear. Don't rush.

Also, put toilet paper in the bowl. 3, 4-foot long sheets. Prevents splash back and keeps the bowl clean.

Sasquatch
Sep 05, 2024 3:07 am

Login to see image

This is what I set up to carry when I went back to work after my ileostomy. Search for Condor T and T Pouch on Amazon. I find it overkill these days. In 8 years, I've had to use it maybe 3 times.  

Stoma hat
Sep 07, 2024 4:28 pm
Reply to warrior

Hey Warrior,

I guess I was thinking that the whole thing with ostomy apparatus is like a hat, I dunno, just being silly, ya know? The other thing I call all this stuff is "poop tech." But the butt plug though, yeah, my mind goes there too. My pup is a mini pit bull (mutt), she has short lower front teeth so her tongue is usually hanging out.

I'm up in the northern part of New Mexico (Taos). Kinda sorta embarrassed now after so many responses to my question are like yours. I guess I have to chalk it up to my inexperience and living in a place without other ostomates, plus medical folks that don't know a thing about this stuff. In the past 2 years, I have had so many blowouts, many of them public, that I just assumed that all ostomates have the same problems I do. I never leave the house without a full change of clothes and a little bit of everything that I have at home. I'm sure some (or a lot) of my habits are the result of ignorance. When they sent me home from the hospital, it was with one extra wafer, 2 open-end bags, and no information on how or where to get more supplies. As a result, I spent the first couple of months washing out my 2 pouches and hanging the unused one in the shower to dry. The whole thing with washing pouches got me so disgusted with open-end bags that when I discovered biodegradable plastic liners that I could just flush away, I was delighted. But it has the drawback of having to pull my closed-end pouch off completely to make a change, and because my gut has been so messed up from the cancer, antibiotics, and surgery causing me to have really loose poop, I am at risk of spray painting the walls in mid-change—which I have done multiple times. So, my development of what seems like dysfunctional ostomy habits is making me rethink how I handle being away from the house. Also, I am still on narcotics for pain, so I have to take laxatives, and getting the right balance is tough.

Just one nightmare story (of many), I was on the way to the mountains with one of my employees and my bag fills up. We stop at a rest area with a public toilet, it's a one-seater and some guy is in there (forever). Finally, he approaches the door of the stall (I presume to open it) and stands there on the other side facing the stall door, f—king around for the longest time, like 7-8 minutes. I'm hearing all this rustling, snaps, clicks, etc. Meanwhile, my wafer bursts off my skin and I am leaking (my wife made us black bean nachos the night before and it has had a liquefying effect on my output). So, there I am, me facing the outside of the stall door and him facing the inside. Finally, he emerges and it's a state cop! I guess he was getting all of his cop stuff straight. I can only imagine what he thought of the other pair of dancing feet facing him during those 8 minutes.

So finally, I get in there and there is nowhere to set anything down. I peel off the remaining place my wafer is stuck and immediately start spraying everything with black bean poo—the toilet and the walls. My spare wafer is on the floor, and when I bend over to pick it up, my leaking stoma presses against my leg. So in my kit, I have all that I need to do a complete change, but I have to work off the floor. It took me like 45 minutes and a full roll of TP to get everything cleaned up. It seems like most of the public bathrooms I find myself in also don't have any place to put anything. The problem with baby changing tables is that I don't yet have the guts to hang my stoma out in a public bathroom while using a baby changing table that is in the common area of the bathroom.

So, once again, I feel like my habits are embarrassingly resultant of inexperience and newbie-ness.

That's all for now.

Hisbiscus
Sep 07, 2024 4:37 pm

Water bottle, toilet paper, wipes, ostomy deodorant

Admiral
Sep 07, 2024 9:56 pm
Reply to HenryM

I had an ileostomy for 3 1/2 years. It was pretty easy to empty. Now, after surgery, I have a permanent colostomy. Oh boy—so hard to empty. It's so much thicker. Now I'm going to try two-piece closed pouches. I just received my order.
I can see your point, though, and may change my mind after trying the two-piece and go back to my one-piece drainables. 

MsPriss
Sep 08, 2024 12:42 am
Reply to Admiral

I'd be interested in your perspective having had both!

I have a colostomy and reading on here, it seems like it is so much easier to deal with, even only having to empty 2-3 times per day.

But yes, I have very thick output. I have to push it out. Multiple times going from the top to the bottom, still not clean - I rinse. It's a 5-10 minute ordeal. That is WITH lubricant!

The first time I emptied in the hospital, it was very liquid - it just flowed right out - I always assume that is what ileostomates have… nice flowy stuff. But many more times per day! And at night!

I'm sampling closed bags now, both mechanical coupling and adhesive. I think I might do half and half on my next order (you can do that, I believe), or I will do closed and buy a third box of closed bags out of pocket - I feel like I need 3 bags per day. 

On the one hand, I hate draining when it's full. But on the other hand, I hate “living with” it when it's just a wee bit - you can't just change a closed bag when you have a squirt of output - it's wasteful. But you can drain a drainable, you know? 

warrior
Sep 08, 2024 1:34 am
Reply to Stoma hat

Well, friend... that was some explanation. Thank you. Gosh... you were really on your own right after the hospital.

So you became MacGyver and did what you felt had to be done. Left to your own devices, I think you did well considering the circumstances you faced.

You will be OK staying with us here, as members can relate and will advise you.

The first thing I would suggest is to watch your food intake. There are foods that should be avoided for certain people, and that is trial and error.

Medications will slow output. There are foods and supplements that will help bind that liquid for a more solid output.

In my case? I avoid milk, which reduces gas. I love milk. Not anymore.

Marshmallows also thicken output, and I like the idea you toss a few in while heading outside.

Of course, I overkilled the marshmallows. Damn it. 4 cavities!! WTF? Yeah, it's like that.

Plenty of thickening foods. Google it.

I just can't ever imagine using the floor as a table.

If you eat right, have a quality appliance, and know when to empty and not push the capacity, the difference is night and day, man...

Day by day, try a suggestion from the members.

We have a saying: "Try this. It worked for me. May or may not work for you." Because no two people are the same.

We all are on the same roller coaster... but in different seats.

Dig?

Keep us posted on progress.

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 08, 2024 2:12 am
Reply to xnine

I also carry a peri bottle, a can of Poo-Pourri, and flushable wipes.

Ziploc
Sep 08, 2024 11:43 am

I asked the ostomy nurse how many leaks a month are normal. The reply: “none.” I'm new to this, so not an expert at all and still terrified of a leak. 
Since my surgery was complicated, I had a visiting nurse (who knew all about ostomy supplies: powders for redness, barrier wipes, adhesive rings, deodorizer, belts). But she likes to keep things simple. She told me to take my time when attaching a new bag: skin must be dry, press hand on wafer to warm up adhesive. You all know this, I'm sure, but that last one about heat was my one leak, when I forgot. 
I use a one-piece drainable, and when I'm out, I sit back on the seat, drain/push, wipe the end, fold, and go. I do grab a paper towel and wet it before going in, for my hands. At home, I wad up TP to clean inside the opening and sometimes swish the lower bag with water if things are sticky. Yup, the bag stays poopy, but it's closed. I'm getting less squeamish every day, HA!
I do carry an extra pre-cut bag and a barrier cream wipe, and a boatload of optimism. Wish me luck. 

ron in mich
Sep 08, 2024 1:14 pm
Reply to Ziploc

Hi Zip, welcome to the site. It sounds like you got this ostomy thing well taken care of. Myself, I've had an ileostomy for 30 some years, and it was a steep learning curve, but eventually, you figure out what works for you, and life goes on.

rlevineia
Sep 08, 2024 3:33 pm
Reply to warrior

Post-its? I just put TP over the sensor and fold the rest for cleanup. Apply saliva and it won't fall off.

rlevineia
Sep 08, 2024 3:40 pm
Reply to HenryM

I used M-9 w/ Hollister pouches, but when I switched to Convatec, the liquid leaked out their weak Velcro seal. Blue mess! I just switched to Adapt Lubricating Gel. Sticks to the pouch's walls and is colorless.

Ziploc
Sep 08, 2024 5:40 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the “life goes on” part. Two more chemo treatments and then will start making plans.
I'm encouraged by your words!