Managing Acute Ileostomy Adhesions: Any Advice?

Replies
Views
zanzi1
Jun 08, 2016 4:47 am

does anyone know how this can be treated when you have an acute episode. I've had my ileo for 40 years and didn't have this problem until 20 years ago. I read on this forum that people use irrigation but i wondered if that's just for food blockage.

thanks everyone

ann

Bill
Jun 08, 2016 5:44 am

Hello Anne. Having read many previous posts on the subject of irrigation, I understand that it is  a procedure that is ONLY suitable for people with a colostomy. This is because they have enough bowel to cope with the water flushing effect whereas people with an ileostomy don't have enough bowel left.

Irrigation is not just used for food blockages but as a regular procedure to clean out the faeces and consequently be free of bags and maintaining the output during the day.

I hope this information is helpful to you

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ron in mich
Jun 08, 2016 5:11 pm

hi zanzi when i had adhesion issues and was vomiting i went to the ER and had to have surgery for a complete blockage with no output from the stoma, that surgery wasnt as bad as when i had my initial surgery for the ostomy as i wasnt sick with colitis.

Immarsh
Jun 14, 2016 4:23 pm

It's best to check with your doctors for a solution.    Irrigation is only for people with colostomies....They still have a colon ( the large intestine) which

holds waste until the body pushes it out.   Irrigation allows them to control when / where that  happens.   People with ileostomy, do not have a colon ( large intestine) and so  waste flows out more freely.    If you have adhesions, or a blockage....it can be short term, from something you're eating, or a twisted bowel blockage, causing food to back up.   Monitor your foods..    Food I use to have no problem with, I can no longer eat....corn/ pop corn & other raw veggies.   Something you're eating may be causing the problem.    I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Marsha

rvhumbug
Jun 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Ann,

I had almost an identicle situation - started being painful 20 years after initial surgery. Went through a resection when my stoma was 30. Lots of adhesions creating strictures causing pain. Had another surgery 10 years later due to Chrons. No more pain, everyhing working right with a new stoma and location. This one is now over 14 years. See your GI and then, probably, a good surgeon. Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play