Has Anyone Tried Generic Amazon Products for Ostomy Supplies?

Replies
Views
MsPriss
Sep 02, 2024 10:26 pm

Has anyone ever used random branded products from Amazon?

I wanted to try closed pouches without paying out the wazoo since I'd be throwing them away every time I would normally empty my drainable pouch. I picked up a box of 10 for $13; they are one piece, so you just change the whole thing.

So far, very comfortable. This particular model doesn't have to hold up for long (will be removed and thrown away), etc. It isn't vented/filtered, though.

I'm trying to figure out what I want for my next insurance order, and requesting samples has been more annoying than I expected. I've tried 3x to request online from Hollister—radio silence. Got a sample pack from Coloplast. When I tried the product and asked to sample a different style product—radio silence. I have had good luck with Convatec, though.

Thoughts?

Happytostillbehere
Sep 02, 2024 10:48 pm

When I got home from ileostomy surgery, I ordered some pouches on Amazon, made in China. I tried two of them; both leaked within 20 minutes. I sent them back to Amazon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Sep 02, 2024 10:58 pm

I have not used Amazon for any supplies.

If your supplies you ordered work, then good for you.

Go buy a lottery ticket. You're lucky.

Others had fatal bag results using no-name or no-brand supplies.

It's the old saying...

"You get what you paid for."

You buy cheap. You get cheap.

Also note, those filtered bags just don't work. It's been discussed and proven they clog instantly.

Also, my advice would be to turn the radio off. 😄

MsPriss
Sep 02, 2024 11:13 pm
Reply to Happytostillbehere

I have a colostomy with mainly solid output. I have had no output since I put this on a couple of hours ago, and when I do, I'll likely need to change the whole thing anyway. They had decent (not outstanding) reviews. I guess we'll see!

MsPriss
Sep 02, 2024 11:14 pm
Reply to warrior

Surprisingly, the filters on my Convatec samples worked great and didn't clog, which was one of the reasons I was so pleased with them. The Coloplast ones that are supposed to be “so great” with the circular thing… nope.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Sep 02, 2024 11:22 pm
Reply to MsPriss

Sounds like you got a win-win thing going with those filters.

Chief Sitting Bull (my uncle) says "buy 2 lottery tickets"----daily.

Beth22
Sep 03, 2024 5:14 am

When ordering samples, your best bet is to call and get them that way vs. online. Just a heads up.

MsPriss
Sep 03, 2024 11:59 am
Reply to Beth22

Yeah, that is super frustrating to me. Why have the option to request online if it doesn't work? Generationally, my generation doesn't like to call.

I'm not that young either - they really need to keep up with the times.

MsPriss
Sep 03, 2024 12:36 pm

Regarding the “off-brand” bags - I'm actually happy with them so far. I don't know if it's the fact that they are closed bags, or that they are not filtered, or just the bags in general. Also, it's super light, light as a feather - one piece with no outlet/closure.

The closed bag, although I will need to change the whole appliance when full, holds more than the drainable. Like I normally have to empty my bag twice in the AM - I will be able to only change once this morning, as it does hold more.

There is no pancaking at all; the small amount of air in the bag allows my output to flow freely.

Now I am using a sample barrier ring, which is not a sustainable option for frequent changes - the barrier rings cost almost as much as the appliances!

ron in mich
Sep 03, 2024 12:58 pm

Hi Mspriss, if the cheaper ones work for you and give you confidence to live your life, then go with it.

holtgrim62
Sep 08, 2024 4:43 am

Have you tried Carewell?

Yes, I bought a product from Amazon. They seem to work okay.

I liked Convatec too.

Tinky
Sep 08, 2024 6:29 am

I buy from eBay sometimes. They can be really cheap. I've tried lots of different kinds, and rings, too. I have been sent some additional ones that I didn't ask for from generous sellers. I found a few things that work for me, so I can really bargain hunt. Carewell is a great place, too. I got a lot of discounts on my first order especially.

ronshery
Sep 08, 2024 4:06 pm

Yes, I have been trying several of their different products because they are, let's just say, inexpensive compared to the other brands. They're OK. I prefer not to have filters. I'm deciding between three, which one I like best, and I feel like you can change it more often because they are cheaper. Just going to keep trying until I figure it out. Good luck on yours, thanks. 

MsPriss
Sep 08, 2024 6:08 pm
Reply to ronshery

I will continue to use them as a supplement to my regular “name brand” supplies, not all the time as they don't filter and are harder to burp than some - they don't work as well under clothes - they balloon a lot.

And Amazon will get them to my door same day or overnight, depending on how early I order. Good to have a “go-to” for emergencies.

debsvo
Sep 09, 2024 9:01 pm

Try Heagi bags on Amazon. 20 bags for $29.95. Work great, never leaked. So much cheaper and easier to use than the name brands. Cheap enough to not ever need to empty and reuse.

Hisbiscus
Sep 10, 2024 8:10 am

Even name brand pouches on Amazon have issues. Years ago I bought Convatec on Amazon and the supposed-to-be open-ended pouches were fused together. I did not notice till I went to empty. Happy I was not at work and was able to change into something else. I then read reviews (I know, backwards. Should have read before buying). Most of the reviews were saying the same and even posting pictures of the fused-together ends.