Happy Day …. Meetings are back

Replies
Views
Ritz
Aug 24, 2022 1:00 pm

The United Ostomy of America helps support local support group meetings throughout all areas. My local meetings are finally back after 2 1/2 years during Covid. 
After my ileostomy and anal resection surgery in August 2019, only one week home from my month long stay in the hospital ( I had issues of infection) I went to my first meeting. A pillow in hand,thin and weak , a pic line in my arm for meds, I walked in slowly . I couldn’t sit and barely could stand but had to see if there were others like me. 
I was welcomed with smiles and soft hugs from strangers that then instantly became my friends..nurses from area hospitals and clinics to offer advice , people with Ostomys, Urostomy and ileostomy. 
I was given a name badge and had to introduce myself. I couldn’t stay as my pain was quite bad, but returned every month . 
A meeting is typically 2 hrs long…the first hour is discussing and lectures, then snack time and an hour of socializing. 
they have tables of supplies one can go thru and take what they need or products they want to try . 
I learned so much from this group and on this site and so grateful for them both . 
If you’re new or old to having yours…try a local group meeting , it may bring you comfort and new friends.

Ritz

w30bob
Aug 24, 2022 2:17 pm

Hi Ritzer,

I think you mean the United Ostomy Association of America........but who's counting?  Their website has a neat Support Group Finder button on their homepage (green box in the lower left of the screen) that brings you to a zip code page......and then it shows you the support groups in your area.  A very neat feature.  I've been to a few meetings at the one near me, and definitely not as much fun as yours.  But I haven't been to one in years, so maybe I'll pop in again and see if it got any better.  Thanks for the nudge!

https://www.ostomy.org/

;O)

bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Aug 24, 2022 9:10 pm

We have similar here...Ostomy Canada Society. I love the zoom meetings and we will be doing in-person meetings starting in Sept. I became the secretary of one of our local branches so I could really stay involved. ❤️