White Film on Colostomy Stoma – How to Prevent It?

Replies
Views
peanutsnina64
Sep 04, 2024 3:22 pm

I had an ileostomy. I had it reversed and a colostomy moved to the other side of my abdomen. I am getting a white film on my stoma. I've been told it's from friction from the bag, yet nobody seems to tell me how to prevent this from happening. Does anyone know how to stop this? It never happened to my ileostomy, yet I used Coloplast products then and I use Hollister now. I've found the Hollister to be a lot more comfortable. I don't want to make an appointment with an ostomy nurse and feel dumb for not being able to prevent this, and everyone here has been amazingly helpful the past 4 years.

AlexT
Sep 04, 2024 4:57 pm

Sounds like normal mucus to me. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DavidK
Sep 04, 2024 5:40 pm

No need to feel embarrassed for asking a perfectly reasonable question, or for not knowing something you don't know.

Personally, speaking for peace of mind, I'd always ask a stoma nurse about any concerns I have.

TerryLT
Sep 04, 2024 8:56 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I often have a sort of clear gel kind of film on my stoma, but sometimes it's a little whitish in color. I think it's just a natural body lubricant or mucus as Alex says. Is it causing you problems, or do you just not like the look of it?

Terry

jalrein
Sep 04, 2024 11:06 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Causes no problems. Just comes and goes, so worried a little.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Axl
Sep 05, 2024 9:27 am

Just sounds like mucus to me, like the others say. Take a pic and send it to the doc or nurse if you have any concerns.

truleigh
Sep 05, 2024 10:14 am

I had a similar problem. My stoma nurse recommended I use a flat wafer as I am not getting leaks since the output is now more solid. I noticed a clear or sometimes white fluid, and also my stoma was bleeding more. I have gone back to using a convex wafer and wax barrier as before, and it has solved the problem.