My Stoma Emptying Device for Travel and Everyday Use

Replies
Views
rlevineia
Sep 08, 2024 4:03 pm

I put together a great stoma emptying device. Works great in my car, hiking, and flying. You all have seen this jar. As a patient, I have two. Hollister disposal bags fit perfectly. I shoved a few extra bags in the bottom. All you need are wipes for the pouch and hands.

Note the red circle. I drilled two tiny holes on either side with my Dremel, so the bag expands in the jar. Hope IGGIE reads this!

Login to see image

AlexT
Sep 08, 2024 4:27 pm

I can’t imagine ever needing something to empty into and then carrying the crap around for awhile. 🤷‍♂️

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 08, 2024 5:45 pm
Reply to AlexT

Spoken like a true colostomate. 🥸😁

Mysterious Mose
Sep 08, 2024 6:05 pm

Clever. If I were into wilderness hiking, I would definitely give it a go (pun intended). Also, I could have used it on my last trip across Kansas when I decided I had enough of I-70 and found that being without rest areas on a cross-country trip is more than a bit inconvenient. Especially in areas where flora is sparse. :-)

Daniel

MsPriss
Sep 08, 2024 6:05 pm
Reply to AlexT

He mentioned being on the road, hiking, and flying!

Personally, I only go over the road to places with rest stops and gas stations, but it's a big world.

Since I've switched to closed bags, I do not need a bathroom to change my bag.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Mysterious Mose
Sep 08, 2024 6:08 pm
Reply to MsPriss

He has an ileostomy. Closed bags are not really an option. It can get expensive that way. :-)

Daniel

MsPriss
Sep 08, 2024 6:12 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yeah, I was just mentioning it - sounds like rlevineia is a more adventurous person than me. I don't travel extensively, don't hike, and I avoid air travel at all costs. They may have much more of a need for an “on-the-go” emptying device than me.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 08, 2024 7:26 pm
Reply to MsPriss

Heh. I know a fellow that climbed Mt. Everest with his ileostomy. I am not sure what he used for his waste, but I assume something similar. I'll have to ask him the next time I see him. I am not sure how they handle normal bodily waste on the Everest highway. :-)

Daniel

MsPriss
Sep 08, 2024 9:46 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I would assume once it's out, it would freeze and not have any odor at least!

Beth22
Sep 09, 2024 12:13 am

I carry a container and a roll of bags with me. Trust me, it comes in handy, especially when you live in the middle of nowhere and when you're driving, there isn't a bathroom in sight for an hour. Or when there isn't a bathroom available, let's face it, women can't stand in line for 20 minutes when you have a full ass bag. It doesn't work that way. Alex T, you seem lately to have issues with everything. Why so negative?

w30bob
Sep 09, 2024 12:48 am

I was struggling to understand this for a bit... but now I get it. I just keep a couple of 32 oz (large) plastic drink cups with lids in my car, from McDonald's, Wendy's, BK, etc., and then just put it between my legs and empty my bag in it. It can hold 2 or 3 emptyings before it gets dangerously full. Then I just slap a lid on and toss it in the nearest garbage can. I also keep napkins in the car, as you'll need one to wipe your bag's open end before closing it. But I can do it while driving, in traffic... whatever. And it doesn't look weird having 'medical' stuff in my car when I have passengers. But hey... the important thing is it works and gives you some additional freedom! Well done!

;O)

AlexT
Sep 09, 2024 7:13 am
Reply to Beth22

Me negative? 😂 I've never bitched and moaned about things like my healthcare services, damaged bags, etc. I'm a pretty positive person 99% of the time. I just don't see how that would be of use to most people under the situations he mentioned. Flying… someone really gonna empty their bag into a container at their seat instead of using the bathroom? Hiking… nearly all hiking is done in areas where a person can step off the trail, empty (while using biodegradable materials), cover it up, and continue on. Driving… unless you're stuck in some huge traffic jam, there's a bathroom somewhere within a few minutes of where a person is in a city. If a person is out in the middle of nowhere, like you mention, it takes no time to pull over, empty in a ditch, cover it up, and be back on your way. Besides Bob, I can't imagine too many people are gonna risk emptying into a container and then haul it around till it's convenient to throw in the trash (which I think is gross btw). I'll work on getting my last 1% positive though, thanks for reminding me. 👍

Beth22
Sep 09, 2024 12:11 pm
Reply to AlexT

You know, Alex, I could say a lot, and trust me, I want to, but you're not worth my breath or my time. What I want to say isn't very nice, but that's not going to get you to open your eyes or realize anything, so I will just say: don't judge what someone does when you don't know the situation or what they are going through. Take a walk in someone else's shoes instead. Then you will finally gain knowledge and understand. But I guess it's true what they say: ignorance really is bliss.

rlevineia
Sep 09, 2024 2:49 pm
Reply to AlexT

Alex, like doggie poop bags, knot off the end, no odor. I dump it in the nearest trash can. Never left an odor in my day pack, either.

rlevineia
Sep 09, 2024 2:56 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Correct. Thanks, Mose. Toilets on I-80 & I-70 are gross.

rlevineia
Sep 09, 2024 3:06 pm
Reply to MsPriss

For 3 years I avoided flying, same reason. At my age, there is not a lot of time left to travel. I tried a 2-hour flight last year, and emptying in turbulence was horrid. Tiny commode, no way to sit. Facing? I held onto the sink and jammed my head into the bulkhead for support. Messy. You can comfortably sit on that commode and empty like at home. I would go crazy, sitting around and waiting for my last day. Life is short (and so is my GI tract), reach for all the gusto. Heading to Tokyo in 4 weeks.

rlevineia
Sep 09, 2024 3:24 pm
Reply to MsPriss

True. When I grew up in NYC, dog poop was everywhere. We held our breath, passing a pile. Summer? Steam would rise from them. Winter was best. Frozen piles had no odor. Snow would cover it. As kids, we called it "Stepping in Jail".

almelia
Sep 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Yep, I'm with you on this one - but I add a scoop of cat litter granules to the empty bag (prep a few before traveling).

I would love to just hop out of the car into a bathroom, ditch, or behind a tree, but as a full-time wheelchair user, that just isn't always an option.

Moreover, I'm often in my kayak for a 4 or 5-hour trip, and an emergency ileo empty is essential to avoid Armageddon!

B@tLady
Sep 14, 2024 5:30 pm
Reply to AlexT

I don't see negativity; I see you have some fixed ideas about the "right" and "best" ways to manage ostomy care. My idea has always been: whatever works for your body, your life, and your tolerance in the circumstances and conditions you find yourself. 

One thing I'll challenge you on, though:  " I can't imagine too many people are gonna risk emptying into a container and then haul it around till it's convenient to throw in the trash (which I think is gross btw)." I can't imagine too many people are going to risk having a major blowout from a failed wafer or an overfull bag and then have to deal with sitting in that mess until it's convenient to shower and change (which IS gross btw). Seems that people finding ways to handle their needs is not only necessary, but desirable and creative, as well.  Here's a great example:  https://youtu.be/oEtTSNgJSMM?feature=shared

MsPriss
Sep 14, 2024 5:47 pm
Reply to B@tLady

This is so true.

Today, I went to my kids soccer games at a new field, there for 3.5 hours. Guess what? No bathroom, just two port-a-johns. 

I didn’t have to empty, and I probably could in the port-a-john, but….well I’m glad I didn’t have the need to - I just waited to eat until lunch. I could see wanting to empty in the comfort and privacy of my SUV under my own control. I’d probably take the container and throw it in the port-a-john though (I use biodegradable bags). 

rlevineia
Sep 15, 2024 12:30 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Grew up in NYC. In the 50s-60s, dog poop was everywhere. In summer, you could see and smell the steam rise from the fresh piles. Gross! Then comes winter. Frozen poop has no odor, doesn't stick to your shoes, and snow covers it. As Andy Williams said: It's the most wonderful time of the year. Not: Hot time, Summer in the City.

rlevineia
Sep 15, 2024 12:33 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Agree.  Only good thing about I-70 in Kansas is you can reach Arrowhead from it.  GO Chiefs!

Redondo
Sep 17, 2024 5:36 pm
Reply to AlexT

When I'm boating, I carry plastic zip lock bags and a plastic coffee can. I keep the zip lock in the can for extra protection from leaking and odor control until I can get home to dispose of it. We do similar for our dogs, right?

Redondo
Sep 17, 2024 5:39 pm
Reply to AlexT

As I said, when I'm boating, I use a zip lock bag and keep it in a sealed container like a plastic coffee can until I get home.

Beth22
Sep 17, 2024 9:09 pm
Reply to Redondo

And there's nothing at all wrong with that; don't ever think that there is. We have to do what we have to do as ostomates. Like I had said, I live way deep in the country, and there isn't a place to stop for over an hour; it's all someone's crops and houses, and I am not going to empty in someone's crops or in front of their house. My process is a lot like yours, and I also have the coffee can thing. You're not alone; no worries.

AlexT
Sep 18, 2024 12:24 am
Reply to B@tLady

No fixed ideas, I just think a lot of people go thru a lot of extras that make things more complicated, stressful, etc than need be. I could care less how anyone empties and deals with disposing of it, I was just saying other ways to go about going to the bathroom that may be easier. I think we all know that letting your bag fill up and leak all over isn’t the right option, so emptying somehow is necessary. 

AlexT
Sep 18, 2024 12:29 am
Reply to MsPriss

Port a Johns are bathrooms and probably the easiest thing anyone with an ostomy can empty into. So, you’d empty in your SUV, risk making a mess in there, and then go dispose of it in the Port a John anyway? That makes no sense, you just created more work/effort for yourself and more risk of having a messy situation. 🤷‍♂️ 

AlexT
Sep 18, 2024 12:33 am
Reply to Redondo

I just take the boat to the dock, walk up to the bathroom and go. Then, go back out on the boat. I don’t take my dog in a boat. 🤷‍♂️