Tips for Changing a Closed Pouch with Limited Hand Function

Replies
Views
Coffeecups
Sep 11, 2024 11:22 pm

I use a closed two piece system. I am a quadriplegic with limited hand function and this is what I have found I can do mostly by myself. However when I change the bag there is always a fair amount of poo around the stoma. Trying to get it cleaned up often makes a mess. Any tips?  Right now the consistency is soft like toothpaste. This is a lot to learn. 

Beachboy
Sep 11, 2024 11:35 pm

I have a colostomy and use 2 piece Hollister.  When I change a bag, I just use a folded tissue, slightly moistened with water.  Dried poop is tough to remove.  Using water on the tissue helps.  I also use moistened pointed q-tips.  I found it's not necessary to get the seal totally clean.  Just the outside of the flange.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Sep 11, 2024 11:37 pm

Hi CC,

When I change my barrier or my bag if it springs a leak between barrier changes, I always take one of the Hollister disposal bags that come in every box of bags and cut one long and the bottom edges off with scissors. This turns the bag into one nice large sheet of plastic. I then tuck one end of the plastic in the waistband of my pants and then put a piece of 3M MicroPore tape over the point where the bag meets my skin. A bib of sorts for my stoma. Then drape the bottom of the plastic over the sink (kitchen or bathroom depending on your height) and you can pour water over your stoma to clean the area. Everything runs down over the plastic and into the sink. This also helps if you have any output when you're changing your barrier. Any piece of plastic wide enough will work, and the tape seals your skin to the bag so nothing can run down behind the bag and ruin your day. When done, just peel off the tape, toss or clean the plastic for reuse, and you're good to go. If my description isn't clear, let me know and I'll try again, maybe with pics!

;O)

warrior
Sep 12, 2024 12:18 am

Hi, welcome to the joint. Good to have you here. There are a few members with spinal injuries, some in wheelchairs, and some with limited hand motion. Sit tight as they will offer advice that will help you better.

Now knowing you have a 2-piece CLOSED appliance and are new to the game, you can't try pouring a little water in the bag and swishing it around as such with a DRAINABLE pouch. Lots of us do that prior to bag change, but we have drainable pouches and it does loosen whatever poop is stuck.

I say this helps a lot not only at bag change but almost every time emptying. You also get the feeling of being clean.

I understand you may have limited hand movement and it must be a struggle and frustrating to deal with bag or appliance changes. Can you please explain why a drainable pouch is an issue?

Do stick around as I'm sure others will chime in with better ideas to address your concern.

Welcome and answers are coming.

AlexT
Sep 12, 2024 12:50 am

Can you physically use a drainable bag? If so, I would think cleaning the end of the bag out is better than cleaning around your plate as that would be very difficult to control on where stuff goes. So, if drainables are a possibility, the question to answer for yourself is which is less of a mess and less of a hassle overall. Good luck. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Bill
Sep 12, 2024 6:31 am

Hello Coffeecups. 
It's good to see that you have already had some useful tips.
When I first had my stoma, one device manufacture included a 'free' small clear, plastic cup/container for rinsing the stoma after every change of bag.
That first one has long since broken but I found the same sort of thing is what my prawns (from the supermarket) are packed in, so I have kept a couple of those to swill/shake water around my stoma to loosen and often dislodge that stubborn stuck on shit. Whatever is left, is then very easily and safely removed with a soft toilet tissue.

I suppose it would depend on how dexterous you are whether this tip will be of any use.

Best wishes
Bill

Morning glory
Sep 12, 2024 8:32 am

Welcome to the site, coffeecups. You have good advice already. I am glad you found us.

Beachboy
Sep 12, 2024 5:38 pm
Reply to w30bob

Very good.  Creative way to use supplies we already have.  

Coffeecups
Sep 14, 2024 12:25 pm

I can understand how putting water in a drainable pouch would work really well, but I do not think that a drainable pouch is best for me. I cannot access the toilet. I would have to drain it into a container and then find a way to empty that.

Right now, I just make sure to put something (usually a paper towel) over my clothes. Then I use a wet paper towel to clean off around the stoma just enough so I can get the new bag on.

I would love to pour water to clean it, but I am sitting down and cannot move.

Hopefully, with time, I will get better. I am just glad to have found something that I can do mostly on my own that my husband does not have to do. Thank you for the suggestions.

warrior
Sep 14, 2024 2:21 pm
Reply to Coffeecups

Thank you for explaining. I empty into a container. Of course, I can stand doing this. I'm not sure sitting down would work for emptying into a container.

A 2-piece drainable pouch is capable of rotation. I turn mine upside down, 180 degrees, to fill it with water to clean the stoma before appliance removal. It really works well.

In your case, with the same setup, perhaps you need a funnel of sorts. While sitting, funnel the waste into a larger container that your husband can dump into the toilet. I do understand your wanting of independence and reluctance to ask your husband to help. I get that. I'm glad he's there to help.

My suggesting this is simple for me to understand, but for you, I am sure there are obstacles, other issues. I'm sorry. I hope this helps.

Hisbiscus
Sep 19, 2024 4:28 am

You may want to get all supplies together in the area you will be changing. Tuck a garbage bag into the waistband of your pants so that if you have any messes, they will fall into the garbage bag. Sometimes a large plastic bowl on your bedside table with hot water may help. You can dip paper towels into it and wring them out to use to clean around the area, especially if you're stuck in bed doing it.