Tightness Around Ostomy Appliance When Standing Up

Replies
Views
EA54
Sep 14, 2024 2:24 am

It’s been 8 weeks now since I had my ileostomy.  Still feeling uncomfortable/painful  tightness around my ostomy appliance when  I stand-up from sitting or lying position.  It’s not skin irritation since I don’t see signs of that when I change my appliance. The only time I find relief is when I take off the old appliance during a change, or take ibuprofen in between changes.  Anyone else experienced this?

warrior
Sep 14, 2024 2:46 am

Yup. Your stoma expands and contracts. You notice that? You could be strangling it with a too-tight base plate or wafer. Have you read about that here from members?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrivera8
Sep 14, 2024 3:17 am

I agree with Warrior. It sounds like the hole in your wafer appliance may be too small for your stoma. Try cutting a larger hole and using a barrier ring. I hope that helps!

rebrur2
Sep 14, 2024 3:22 am

Also, to add I was told that it can take 3+ months for the abdominal muscles to heal and recover after surgery. It could be recovering muscles.

A parastomal hernia can sometimes feel like a pulling sensation around the stoma. Be careful with lifting things and maybe try an ostomy hernia belt.

Beachboy
Sep 14, 2024 4:37 am

Good advice from everyone.  I started out cutting the wafer hole to fit my little beast perfectly.  I didn't realize how much a stoma can change shape and rub against the wafer hole.  It was uncomfortable all the time.  

Then I discovered the magic of moldable barrier rings.  I now cut a large wafer hole.  Leaving plenty of clearance for my shape shifting beast.  I put a barrier ring on around my stoma.  Then slap on the wafer. 

It's comfortable.  Even when wearing a hernia support belt all day.  I wear some type of belt all the time.  The barrier ring helps prevent pressure damage to my peristomal skin.

You can also put the ring on the wafer, then install wafer on your body.

I use 2 inch diameter Coloplast Brava rings.  They stretch pretty good without tearing 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
Sep 14, 2024 8:53 am

Probably too tight around your stoma. 

IGGIE
Sep 14, 2024 2:52 pm

G-Day EA54, I had tightness after my ileostomy and it turned out the surgeon had stitched me a little too tight. After time and doing slow stretches, it all came good. If it lasts too long, go get it checked out. Regards, IGGIE

EA54
Sep 14, 2024 3:28 pm

Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions.  I do make sure that the hole in the wafer is not too small, but not too wide either for the output to contaminate and irritate the peri-stomal skin.  As rebrur2 mentioned in her comment, I’m beginning to think that it’s abdominal muscles still recovering.  I hope it’s not parastomal hernia, but I’ll check with my surgeon.  Anyway, I think I’ll try taking a muscle relaxant (methocarbimol) to see if that helps.

Thank you all again!