Weight Loss Drugs for Permanent Ileostomy Patients

Replies
Views
Vette2658
Sep 22, 2024 1:12 am

Wondering if any permanent ileostomy patients have tried any of the new weight loss drugs and if so, do they work the same as they do for normal patients; i.e.  can they be absorbed normally for us? Anyone who’s tried them tell me what your experience has been. Thanks. 

Beachboy
Sep 22, 2024 1:27 am

What weight loss drugs are you exactly referring to?

Zepbound

Wegovy

Saxenda

Setmelanotide

Or... Ozempic  ??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Vette2658
Sep 22, 2024 1:40 am
Reply to Beachboy

I’m asking about the use of any of those drugs if you’ve used them and if they worked? Doesn’t matter which one. Thanks!

Beachboy
Sep 22, 2024 3:57 am
Reply to Vette2658

I'm really skinny.  So no need to lose weight.  I wanted to find out which drugs you were considering, so others on this web site could post a specific reply.

This is a world wide site.  So I'm sure there's someone out there with the experience to offer sage advice.

Heather Williamson
Sep 22, 2024 4:06 am
Reply to Vette2658

Hi Vette

I've been on Ozempic for 2 years for newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. At first I had a bit of tummy upset and runny stools (ileostomy 4 yrs now) but it settled after a couple weeks. Normal people seem to have very severe diarrhea, but I use Imodium/loperamide to slow my output down and that is an advantage. Only lost 25 lbs and have been hovering up and down 5 lbs for a few months. Diet and exercise still make a big difference. Now that summer is over I can go back to my healthy routine and get back on track (cut back on ice cream 🍨). 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
infinitycastle52777
Sep 24, 2024 7:15 pm
Reply to Heather Williamson

I think that is how some weight loss drugs work; you get diarrhea and so you lose weight. I am skeptical. I might have to try to get my insurance to cover one of those drugs soon, because of my diabetes, but I am still skeptical of them working. The commercials promise weight loss of 45 pounds or more (Wegovy), but I just can't see that happening.

Emad
Sep 29, 2024 10:50 pm

I've done some research. Most of those drugs only say approx. 10 lbs to lose, and if you stop them the weight comes right back, and they are very expensive. Diarrhea is a big problem with them. For the person that uses immodium, that is contrary to what is suggested use. I know of 2 people that ended up in the hospital using immodium. And not from overuse. Immodium works by paralyzing your intestines, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Ellieb
Sep 30, 2024 7:43 am

Hello, I have read that drugs like Ozempic can cause terrible dehydration and subsequent kidney problems. In England, some GPs have been prescribing it for patients with weight problems with ileostomies. My weight has increased, so I have been referred to go on a dietitian-led course, and also an exercise protocol to balance out my slightly raised blood sugars. I am considering taking berberine to see if that helps too.

Redondo
Oct 12, 2024 9:42 pm

I am warned by my endocrinologist and GI doctors that the injections or pill forms of Ozempic, etc., are not suitable for me since I only have a small intestine. These meds can cause a frozen intestine, and then I could really have a problem. I have also tried phentermine, and not only was it not helpful, it created extreme thirst. I have also tried a diet called Optavia. This is mainly made up of fiber and unfortunately, almost blocked me to the point where I could have needed surgery if it didn't work out. I do take Berberine, which helps to make me feel full, but I use a very small dose. I commented to my husband that pizza and ice cream never put me in the hospital, and he's going to live with a chubby wife, and thank goodness, he doesn't mind.