New Ileostomy and Feeling the Urge to Move Bowels

Replies
Views
EA54
Jul 19, 2024 2:23 pm

Hello All,

I had the right side of my colon removed just 5 weeks ago, with a permanent ileostomy placed. Since the surgery, I've been feeling an uncomfortable urge or sensation to move my bowels, although nothing comes out when I sit on the toilet. I've been feeling this at least once or twice a week. I read that this is not unusual after an ileostomy since the remaining colon is stimulated to evacuate mucus and/or residual stool. My doctor told me the same thing. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what do you do to relieve the discomfort? How long does this sensation last after surgery? I take Tylenol when I feel the discomfort, but I would rather not take it all the time.

I would appreciate any info anyone can share. Thanks in advance!

EA54

Mysterious Mose
Jul 19, 2024 3:36 pm

Yes, this is normal. Your rectum still produces fluid that helps the evacuation process. For me, there was a lot of fluid the first few weeks that I couldn't really control, mostly because I was in the hospital and could not control it. It's been almost 19 months since my surgery, and I still get mucus almost every day. I am able to evacuate it by "pushing" it out, though. The urgency to do so did subside after 3-4 months. Recently, it got worse with occasional blood. Turns out it was proctitis, probably caused by my use of ibuprofen to relieve arthritis pain. After stopping ibuprofen and using mesalamine suppositories for a month, things are back to normal.

In your case, the lack of fluid is a bit curious. Here is some info: https://www.colostomyuk.org/information/stoma-problems/rectaldischarge/

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Jul 19, 2024 4:49 pm

EA 54 - - - Ileostomy here - almost 4 years... and a capital Y E S in reply... also, many weeks can go by with no urge such as this... and once in a great while a tiny little "fartlette" will escape... this will cause me to giggle - since I am a candidate for reversal but have opted out... these are just signals/urges from my non-functional colon who I believe wants its old job back.

To "get shed of" this urge I simply plop myself on the toilet and the feeling will pass rather quickly.

Welcome to the wonderful ileosto-world. I would guess former Crohn's, IBS, etc. sufferers would say - we love our belly bags - beats the shiz outta the alternative.

I see this is your 1st post... welcome, you have come to the right place for sure! jb

TerryLT
Jul 19, 2024 7:52 pm

Yes, it's normal, and the mucus or lubricant can take many forms. Sometimes quite loose and sometimes more formed. I get those 'feelings', sort of like you need to have a BM, but I don't find them uncomfortable and certainly not to the degree that I would consider taking pain meds. That is the only thing that seems a little strange to me. Maybe ask your doctor about that?

Terry