What Was Your Colostomy Reversal Prep Like?

Replies
Views
tnmontan9721
Oct 04, 2024 9:42 pm

what prep did your doctor require for reversal of a colostomy?   mine said nothing about a enema to clean out rectum.  that seemed odd.  Would like to know what your prep was like.  Thanks.

My Doctor office sent this:  only In preparation for your surgery please purchase:
1 bottle of MiraLax (7 doses, 4.1 ounces)
2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate (10 fl oz)
A 32 oz bottle of Gatorade (not red)
A 4 oz bottle of Hibilclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser
Pick up from your pharmacy:
Metronidazole (Flagyl) - 3 tablets
Neomycin (Mycifraden) - 6 tablets
Two days prior to surgery
Mix one 4 oz bottle of MiraLax into a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade, stir and refrigerate
4pm - begin drinking the MiraLax/Gatorade mixture and finish it before bedtime
Shower with your normal soap and shampoo
On the day prior to surgery
Only drink clear liquids but drink plenty as the bowel prep can cause dehydration. Try to drink 8
8 oz glasses of clear liquids over the course of the day.
Clear liquids include water, Gatorade, juice, Jell-O, broth, popsicles. Moderate amounts of
coffee and tea are allowed but no milk or orange juice.
1pm - drink one bottle of magnesium citrate and take first dose of antibiotics (1 tablet
metronidazole, 2 tablets neomycin)
2pm - take second dose of antibiotics (1 tablet metronidazole, 2 tablets neomycin)
4pm - drink second bottle of magnesium citrate
9pm - take third dose of antibiotics (1 tablet metronidazole, 2 tablets neomycin)
Hibiclens shower before bed
On the day of surgery
Hibiclens shower

MsPriss
Oct 05, 2024 12:30 am

RE the enema, you have to clear out the ghost poops. 

I am interested to see what my doctor requires.

I prefer miralax, and I hope that he will have me do the 14 dose miralax instead of the mag citrate. 

Oral Flagyl is awful. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Footie97
Oct 05, 2024 4:43 pm

I had a colonoscopy two days before the reversal. I did a similar prep for the scope, then stayed NPO until the reversal. It was not much fun being three days without food. I needed to have a lot of adhesions addressed as well as the reversal. I was in the OR for more than four hours. They scoped my rectum, so I did not need an enema; I would have if it was not empty.
Get up and walk as soon as you can after surgery! It reduces the likelihood of blood clots and gets the GI tract working. Ileus can be very problematic. I opted to have an NG tube inserted in the OR, and I am glad I did. They are not fun going in when awake.

tnmontan9721
Oct 05, 2024 5:29 pm
Reply to MsPriss

What are ghost poops?

tnmontan9721
Oct 05, 2024 5:30 pm
Reply to Footie97

Please explain: "Ileus can be very problematic. I opted to have an NG tube inserted in the OR, and I am glad I did."

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play