Seeking Reviews for Colorectal Surgeon at Mayo Clinic MN

Replies
Views
Barbie400
Jul 31, 2024 8:10 am

Good morning

Having trouble sleeping again due to my upcoming ileostomy surgery, I have so many questions, worries, and hopes about it now.
I am being treated at the Mayo Clinic, and my GI recommended removing my entire gut, closing off the rectum, and making a permanent ileostomy.
He referred me to a colorectal surgeon whom I am seeing in 2 weeks.
I tried doing some online research on the surgeon and found no reviews.
Has anyone used Dr. McKenna? Or can anyone share their experience with a surgeon they were or were not happy with at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN?

Thank you for your time 🙏

Kas
Jul 31, 2024 10:10 am

I also treat at Mayo in Rochester.

My surgeon, who is not a colorectal surgeon, is absolutely the best human I have ever met, on top of being a skilled surgeon who saved my life (Dr. David Turay). He recommended that I see Dr. Scott Kelly in colorectal surgery, but the guy is insanely busy, and I've been waiting since March to even hear from Dr. Kelly about an appointment. So, I will be seeing Dr. McKenna in October. I have not heard anything bad about him, and I know Dr. Turay wouldn't have me see anyone that he wouldn't see himself!

I've spent a lot of the last 2 years at Mayo with several GI surgeries - it's my home away from home! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions at all - even like places for your loved ones to stay and eat, etc.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Kim

P.S. I have a colostomy, so I can't really help with the specifics of the ileostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Barbie400
Jul 31, 2024 4:57 pm
Reply to Kas

Thank you, Kim
I do have some more questions; I'll take it private from here!
Really appreciate your help.

DexieB
Jul 31, 2024 4:58 pm

This was a great idea to post this. I am not near Mayo - I live near the Twin Cities in MN but have also been struggling to find information on surgeons for my hernia/abdominal wall repair surgery that I will soon need - like you said, so many worries!

My excellent colorectal surgeon referred me to a general surgeon who I met with, and I wasn't that impressed. I could only find 2 terrible reviews online about this general surgeon...so I am confused, because I love my colorectal surgeon and he referred me to this person. So I have set up a second opinion with a different surgeon who I was able to find many wonderful reviews on - I see that surgeon on August 9, but any recommendations from people who have had firsthand experience with a surgeon is always best in my book!

I don't mean to hijack your thread here but if anyone reading this in MN has any experience with a surgeon who does abdominal wall reconstruction (or has experience repairing large ventral hernias) near the Metro area - I would appreciate it!!! Thanks and best of luck with your upcoming surgery :)

Cplumber
Aug 01, 2024 2:59 am

MPLS, St. Paul magazine puts out a yearly issue rating the best doctors in Minnesota; you could check recent and past doctors. That's how I found a good one.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play