Switching from Colostomy to Ileostomy for Healing

Replies
Views
tnmontan9721
Oct 05, 2024 6:37 pm

Have a colostomy. Has anyone's surgeon told them that the surgeon will do an ileostomy after reconnecting the colon to the rectum? An ileostomy is to allow the reconnected area to heal. So, no more colostomy, but another new problem with the ileostomy for at least 3 months.

Newhere
Oct 05, 2024 10:20 pm

There is always the chance of a temporary ileostomy with all reversals. When they make the join, they test it for leaks with air pressure to check if it's all good. Any chance of a problem and you wake up with a temporary ileostomy. About 1 in 5 from memory before I had my reversal; that's what they told me anyway.

There was an Irish woman on here a while ago, and she was the 1 in 5. If you look back through the reversal posts, you should find it.

In fact, when I came to after my reversal, the first thing I did was reach down and check. I thought I felt an ileostomy bag and thought, "Oh well." But I was still pretty drugged up, and it was only my wound drain bag.

Good luck and remember it is only short term.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Boalsman
Oct 06, 2024 12:40 am

I am having a reversal in 2 days. The surgeon said an ileostomy is a possibility.