Ileostomy and Struggling to Gain Weight: Any Advice?

Replies
Views
bplad
Oct 08, 2024 3:47 pm

I’ve had Crohn’s since I was about 12. Always struggled to gain weight. Even since my Ileostomy when I was 22 , I have never really experienced much weight gain. 
I’m about 5ft 8 and 10 st (140lb). Heaviest I’ve ever been was around 11st , but literally had to eat every minute I was awake. 

Does anyone else feel like they can just eat and eat and never really gain weight? Would appreciate anyone’s feedback in a similar situation. 
Thanks 

Bill
Oct 08, 2024 5:56 pm

Hell bplad.
I cannot put my lack of weight gain down to my stoma because I was 10.5st since I was 14 years old and stayed (more or less ) that weight until my 70's. after that I began to gain weight and last year reached 11.5st. However, I now weigh in at about 11st.
I have a (Plausible?) theory for the (slight) weight gain, which was over several years. This would be that before that, I never used to eat at lunchtimes. Once I started eating midday, I started putting on weight. Oh! and as I get older, I am doing less and less exercise.
All this doesn't seem to have anything to do with my stoma, It just seems to be the way my body metabolises the food. 
I certainly do not worry about it and think myself somewhat luckier than many, as it seems that it is well within the healthy guidelines.
Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Oct 08, 2024 6:50 pm

I'm the opposite, put weight on all too easily, but I had my ileostomy for a different condition than you. I don't know if that makes a difference, and now I live on steroids. I have to try and be very careful about what I eat and exercise daily, as I put on weight even easier.

ron in mich
Oct 09, 2024 1:32 pm

Hi Bplad, I've always been thin, but I've always been active, and now with an ileostomy and almost constant output, I don't put on weight no matter how much I eat.

oldtimer
Oct 13, 2024 4:15 am

I had emergency adenocarcinoma colon  surgery almost 3 years ago.  2 years were fair, lots of getting used to. As of the end of last year, I am slowly fading into the tapestry.  Developed more problems. Lost about 20 lbs in the last 3 months.  As I am fond of saying: I look like someone in a gulag who has been starved. My problem is that I really don't care to eat much. Anemia makes me crave ice cubes, output and discharge heavily messed up. Health care experts?  Not so much.

I wonder if it is your metabolism that won't let you gain weight.  Maybe someone on this site is able to give you a good tip pertaining to wanted weight gain. I wish that for you.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play