Alternatives to Hollister for Post-Surgery Leaks

Replies
Views
rayreyes784
Oct 14, 2024 12:16 am

Is there another recommendation besides Hollister? The scars from colon cancer surgery messed with the shape of my stomach somewhat, I think it's why it always leaks... It's getting very stressful.

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 1:34 am

Hey Ray. Welcome to the tribe.

Good to have you. Hope you will stick around.

It sounds like the ripples from the scars are causing this leakage, as you mentioned.

That sucks! Hollister isn't working? How long have you been using this product? Do you have a stoma nurse?

You can Google for products. The top of the line are Hollister and Coloplast. You do have to be careful with irritation from the poop leaking out onto the skin. How are you managing that?

I use Coloplast Sensura Mio Click. Although I might have to replace it due to an allergic reaction to the skin. I'm hoping it's the Eakin barrier though, because the Mio for me is a nice fit.

There are also paste, belts, and extender strips too. Have you heard of these?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beth22
Oct 14, 2024 1:53 am

Have you called other companies and asked for samples? There's Coloplast, ConvaTec, and Hollister, which are the most used, and then there are Safe and Simple, Marleen, Nu-Hope, Securi-T... Google ostomy manufacturing companies, and it will give you a list like below:

Login to see image

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 2:01 am
Reply to Beth22

Nailed it Beth.🔨

Beth22
Oct 14, 2024 3:19 am
Reply to warrior

Thanks warrior 😁 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
elwick
Oct 14, 2024 11:03 am

Hi, Have you looked at using convex pouches? I use Hollister 53900 convex which cured the problem for me. Regards Elwick

Daddy1
Oct 14, 2024 3:34 pm
Reply to warrior

Do you use barrier rings? They are good for leaks.

aTraveler
Oct 14, 2024 6:10 pm

Try the Coloplast SenSura Mio Convex Flip. You can get a free sample to try out. After applying the barrier try placing a Marlen Ultraseal barrier ring around the stoma and press down into the barrier.

stinelin1
Oct 17, 2024 12:39 am

A new product coming to the US market is ConfiPlus. Check their website at ConfiPlus.com. While the product doesn't stop leaks from happening, if you are out and about, it will give you time to get home to change your setup without a blowout and without soiling your clothing. I've used them on flights, while shopping, in meetings, etc. Sign up for free samples. Great peace of mind and freedom.

aTraveler
Oct 17, 2024 2:38 am
Reply to stinelin1

Good to learn about new products. Wasn't clear to me how the product worked. Seems if you were leaking underneath the barrier it would not help. I will definitely investigate further. Thanks.

vanestag
Oct 17, 2024 2:52 pm
Reply to warrior

After several years of trying different products and methods, I found Sensura Milo Click the best out there! I haven't had a leakage or woken up to a bed full of poop since using the product. I also use a barrier ring and paste, though. I shower with the pouch on, and it dries easily with a blow dryer set on low.