Embarrassing Wee Problem Post Surgery

Replies
Views
Henry44
May 25, 2024 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm messaging about a rather embarrassing problem. It actually started in the hospital after my sub-total colectomy surgery. I didn't think much of it until now as I thought it was an aftereffect of the surgery and would go away, but it has persisted. It's been almost 2 months since my surgery.

When I've been to the toilet for a wee and finished, after a few minutes some more wee dribbles out. It's not been an issue at home while I've been recovering and I'm wearing PJs most of the time, but as I'm going out a bit more and wearing proper clothes, I'm concerned these will get wet at some point if I've gone to the toilet when I'm out. The medical term is called Post-Micturition Dribble. It does say on some online articles that one of the causes is a weak pelvic floor and of course a weak pelvic floor is caused by bowel surgery. I've also read that pelvic floor exercises can help address the issue.

Is there anyone else who experienced this post-surgery? Were you able to deal with it? I'm worried it might turn into another long-term problem I have to deal with on top of accepting living with a stoma and a rectum that is currently flaring!

AlexT
May 25, 2024 3:09 pm

Are you taking any medication for the issue? It takes a long time for all the nerves to heal and things to get back to your new normal. I think Warrior posted about dribbling all over too, I'm sure he'll reply.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Henry44
May 25, 2024 3:19 pm
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex,

No, I'm not taking any medication for it. I only really started to think about it as a problem today when I realized it had been two months and the dribbling was still happening, and I would like to go out a bit more.

AlexT
May 25, 2024 3:28 pm
Reply to Henry44

When I came home from surgery, I had a tough time peeing or not emptying completely and having to go to the bathroom 2 minutes later to finish. I was put on Flomax and have been on it since, roughly 3 years. Very inexpensive medication.

Mysterious Mose
May 25, 2024 4:53 pm
Reply to AlexT

I would think pelvic floor exercises can help. So can regular walks. I don't have quite the problem you describe, but there are times when I am not quite sure I am going to get to the toilet in time. I used to have the problem Alex describes where it was hard to pee and not emptying completely. Tamsulosin (Flomax) has taken care of that. Like Alex said, it is an inexpensive medication in the US. So, I would think it is dirt cheap in the UK where Big Pharma's claws are not quite as sharp. :-)

Daniel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Henry44
May 25, 2024 5:43 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you, Alex, and thanks for letting me know about Flomax.

Henry44
May 25, 2024 5:45 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks, Mysterious Mose. I'll get started again on pelvic floor exercises. I did start these a few weeks ago to help prevent parastomal hernias and stopped due to pain in my abdomen, which seems to have lessened now.

AlexT
May 25, 2024 10:26 pm
Reply to Henry44

You're welcome.

warrior
May 25, 2024 11:25 pm
Reply to AlexT

Yes indeed. Here I am.

What Henry describes is exactly my experience 7 months post-op. And presently...

I spoke to you, Alex, about what Henry is going through, and you said the same thing. Takes time for nerves to heal.

Ok, so the thing is you pee, think you're done, and all of a sudden, more pee dribbles out. You are N O T in control. Feels like gravity is. Ha ha.

It takes time and you gotta adjust, otherwise you end up with a trickle of pee down your leg.

Give yourself more time when peeing, dude. (For Henry).

I have not thought about exercises. I am on Flowmax too.

It doesn't stop the dribbles. Nope. But you sure do pee more often! And more volume too.

I dribbled a lot as a guard on a high school basketball team, but nothing like this! 😲

Itsme58
May 26, 2024 1:13 am
Reply to warrior

Good message/response. I love reading your posts; you make my day and make me smile.

Now, as a woman, yes, I have issues with leakage. I thought I was incontinent, but thank God, I'm not. It goes away for me too, but I'm a woman, so… Have a blessed day, Warrior and Henry. Linda

warrior
May 26, 2024 3:01 am
Reply to Itsme58

Thanks, Linda. You too.

AlexT
May 26, 2024 6:58 am
Reply to warrior

A diaper could solve your issue of dribbles down the leg. 😁

IGGIE
May 26, 2024 9:34 am
Reply to Henry44

G'day Henry, I had a similar thing, but it stopped after a few months when your muscles get stronger. Regards, IGGIE

Henry44
May 26, 2024 9:41 am
Reply to warrior

Thank you very much, Warrior. I'll give myself more time to heal and get stronger and stop all the panicking about it.

warrior
May 26, 2024 11:53 am
Reply to AlexT

Smack! Feel that, buddy? 😁 There will be no diapers. Well, it "depends" I guess. 🤦‍♂️

warrior
May 26, 2024 11:56 am
Reply to Henry44

Absolutely... you asked a good question and will get honest replies from us who live with it. No worries. We got your back, your front, and your pee pee. 👍

ron in mich
May 26, 2024 12:56 pm

Hi Henry, back when I had my first surgery, my surgeon suggested that I try to stop peeing mid-stream and to do that every time I had to go. He said I would thank him in my later years if I did those types of exercises, as we older men tend to have issues with the prostate causing urine issues that you describe, but thankfully I don't.

Henry44
May 26, 2024 2:55 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Hi Iggie,

It's very encouraging to hear the problem resolved for you. I'll just give more time to heal, strengthen my pelvic floor, and hopefully the problem will resolve with time.

Henry44
May 26, 2024 2:56 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Hi Ron in Mich, got it! Thanks for the advice. I'll do the exercise you described.

emiliatomaszewski8
May 27, 2024 3:41 am

Trust me, you are not alone. I had my ileostomy surgery just about exactly 1 year ago. After my surgery, my body has gone through numerous changes, but the most dramatic issue has become the dribbling. During my pretesting, they discovered that I had a prolapsed bladder mostly brought on by the hypermotility of my colon, so I am sure that it contributes to my problem. Every night I have to use "chucks" or bed pads because of my leakage problems, but now they are effective for my recently enhanced bladder issue.

I am still not comfortable with my ileostomy and still refer to the changing of my appliance as "changing my bandage." In fact, in 3 weeks I am actually going to travel out of town for 4 days, my first time since I was introduced to the "Geezer." That is what I have named my stoma.

Through trial and error, I am convinced that my dribbling is due to my surgery, but I have yet to approach my doctor about it. I have waited because I am so afraid of having another surgery, but I have an appointment on June 10th, and I think it's time to face the music.

All in all, I totally understand your issue, and I am of the opinion that the removal of my colon has brought this problem on. As I am going to do on June 10th, I think you should do the same. Who knows what else may happen if I don't address the issue with my doctor. Join me in this process so we both can learn what's going on and what can be done.

Wishing you all the very best, Emily

Henry44
May 27, 2024 2:44 pm
Reply to emiliatomaszewski8

Thanks, Emila. I'm still waiting for a follow-up appointment with the surgeon, and this could take a number of weeks. I'm going to see my GP this week and will mention it then.

warrior
Jun 04, 2024 2:09 am

My surgeon assures me the dribbling is from the surgery. Of course, this was a few months post-op when I began seeing a urologist for the issues.

Waste of time there.

Also, my surgeon didn't tell me about another thing: loss of tasting food. Yup. There is that. At least, for me, food smells good. 👃 8 months post-op.

FernL
Jun 27, 2024 2:33 am
Reply to warrior

Hi Warrior,

Are you aware of the connection between zinc deficiency and loss of taste? We're particularly prone to deficiencies anyway, and especially so post-surgery. Just a thought... link to a study here.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27178656/#:~:text=Zinc%20deficiency%20may%20lead%20to,and%20smell%20and%20taste%20disturbances.

warrior
Jun 28, 2024 1:10 am
Reply to FernL

Hi Fern, welcome to the community. As you stated in your profile, you are new. You have come to the right place. Let's hear more from you.

Vitamin deficiency was a concern of mine. Have that checked every few months with regular labs, and there are no red flags at all.

Ageusia, I believe, is loss of taste. A few members here also suffer from it. We can't pinpoint exactly why this happens, but the doctor said it is a side effect from surgery, the removal of the rectum.

Now, I did read something somewhere saying a study found a link between taste buds and the digestive tract, just as I read an article about hearing loss associated with I.B.D.

Whoa! Right? Since there are a few thousand members on this site, several replied and complained of having ageusia.

Some said over time, taste returns.

Some say as you grow older you will lose taste buds.

So far, haven't heard from anyone with major hearing loss.

Interesting bunch of good people here.

Welcome again. Enjoy the ride.