Morning Abdominal Pain After Colostomy: Is This Normal?

Replies
Views
Pati49
Oct 16, 2024 5:31 pm

Had a colostomy 5 months ago. Was in hospital and rehab for about 2 1/2 months with trouble fighting sepsis. I’ve been having quite severe abdominal pain when I first get up and start moving in the morning. It dissipates as I get moving. Almost feels muscular with certain hot spots in the right side colon. Is this a usual occurrence? I am suspecting that diet has something to do with it, but not sure how much. 

aTraveler
Oct 16, 2024 7:15 pm

I spent 3+ months in the hospital and rehab. While in rehab, I received physical therapy every workday and some Saturdays. After rehab, I received additional in-home physical therapy 2 times a week for 2 months and concurrent occupational therapy once a week for about a month. Finally, I received 2 months of outpatient rehab from the hospital twice a week. At the conclusion of the physical therapy my core was significantly strengthened and no further abdominal pain. Did you get much physical therapy? If not, you may be in need of physical therapy to strengthen your core. If you have undergone physical therapy you probably need to talk with your surgeon and/or your gastroenterologist to better understand what may be going on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Oct 16, 2024 9:16 pm

I had similar pain in the mornings. Sometimes during the day too. Got divorced. Pain is gone now!! 😅🤣😂

Beachboy
Oct 16, 2024 11:27 pm

As long as the pain dissipates and doesn't get worse, probably OK.  At 5 months, your body is still adjusting to your new normal.  I had Sepsis, Peritonitis, and C Diff during my hospital medical adventure.  4 months after surgery.. I developed Post Sepsis Syndrome.  Had trouble with balance, especially on stairs.  My hair fell out in clumps.  Then my facial skin began peeling and was very dry with red splotches.  Fortunately I didn't suffer any mental or major organ decline.  

If you continue to be have abdominal pain, consult with a doctor.  Persistent pain is not normal.

oldtimer
Oct 16, 2024 11:38 pm
Reply to warrior

Gallows humor.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
kittybou
Oct 17, 2024 1:36 am
Reply to Beachboy

Did you get your balance back? I haven't yet all the way. It's been over a year since my surgery. I drink lots of water too. 

oldtimer
Oct 17, 2024 1:49 am
Reply to warrior

I don't know why my comment to a certain person goes awry at times. The gallows human was meant for warrior.

Beachboy
Oct 17, 2024 6:54 am
Reply to kittybou

Yes, balance did return... but not fully.  I have to be careful when turning around.  I'll start tilting and be off balance.  Fortunately a wall or doorframe has been there to hold onto.  I've also lost balance riding my bike.  It happens when I don't completely concentrate and look at the road.  So now I stop, then look at something, rather than turn my head while riding.  

aTraveler
Oct 17, 2024 8:19 am
Reply to Beachboy

Sorry you had to struggle w/ PSS. Glad you are blessed w/ a supportive spouse. Sometimes you need someone that won't let you wallow in self-pity. 😉

warrior
Oct 17, 2024 11:05 am
Reply to oldtimer

And...warrior received your comment.

There are two ways to reply: 2 buttons. You need to see them before you reply, dig?

One says reply; the other, which is under the person's post, says "reply to this comment".

Hitting reply goes directly to the general cause of the topic.

Reply to this comment goes directly to that person.

You will get the hang of it. Trial and error.

You won't be graded on it. No tests. 😁 No quiz. We do have one person anal about spelling on here. Is she in for a surprise, too!! 😋

Beachboy
Oct 18, 2024 1:38 am
Reply to aTraveler

There's not a week that goes by when she doesn't tell me how amazing it was that I survived. She was in contact with my doctors much more than I was and was more aware of my declining condition.

She thought I had died during surgery because at about 10 pm, the surgical progress status board turned off. A security guard told her everyone had gone home. She rushed to my room, but I wasn't there. The nurses' station had no updates, so she went home.

We all have our trying days, which make the good days even better.

Pati49
Oct 18, 2024 5:32 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks for the response! My hair is nearly gone; I hope it grows back. Same problem as you with skin as well. My body is adjusting, and I must go along with it.

DexieB
Oct 18, 2024 8:05 pm
Reply to Beachboy

WTH? Is this why I feel off balance since my sepsis? I feel like I'm gonna tip over sometimes - just thought it was old age or something... but it has persisted. Didn't know this was a thing?

warrior
Oct 18, 2024 9:06 pm
Reply to Beachboy

@BB... the infamous California roll, as we Jersey folk call it.

Nowadays, driving can be lethal.

Vertigo. Vestibular dysfunction. Not quite sure how bowel issues affect balance.

I know bowel issues affect taste... agusia.

Do you have some vertigo when walking on the beach or entering a dark room, for example?

Have you ever had your ears checked? I mean this sincerely because even wax buildup is going to mess with balance.

Yep. Gotta stop at that stop sign or traffic light. No roll through for me; both feet on the ground too. 🏍

Usually, and sadly, the knucklehead behind me is doing the roll, and that is quite scary coming at you from the rear in the mirror. 😲