Wearing seat belts what a pain

Replies
Views
Tall geoff
May 26, 2010 8:14 pm
Well all off who drive know what a pain the ass seat belts are.

OK i drive for a living so here is the question.

how does everyone cope with wearing seat belts .

us who have our stoma on the right side or lefts side have problems with the seatbelt rubbing against the stoma so how does every one deal with this issue cos I'm paranoid the seatbelt going to run against the stoma so

id love to see lots and lots of replies to this as i feel everyone would probably like the answers to this one from Geoff
lottagelady
May 26, 2010 8:39 pm
Hi Geoff - I have to say I have never had a problem with my seatbelt, think it is just below my stoma fortunately!

Rach xx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gutenberg
May 26, 2010 9:15 pm
Hi there Geoff, you came up with a really good question, one I used to have nightmares about, as my stoma is right on my belt line I make sure my seat belt is above that, but with different cars the positioning of the seat belt can really be a pain in the ass, not to mention what it could do to your stoma if it sits too low and even in a mild accident I fear of what could happen. Fortunately, for me the last car I bought the seat belt position comes above my belt line, otherwise I'd make sure I had a stoma belt with a hernia cup in hopes it would protect my stoma. It should be interesting to hear from others on this question, good luck and good health, Ed
weewee
May 26, 2010 11:03 pm
wwhen i get pulled over and they ask why i dont have on my seat belt i just show them why and they dont say much
Lobster
May 27, 2010 9:12 am
never been a problem for me, never even thought about it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
CALYPSO
May 27, 2010 1:34 pm
Hi tall Geoff,

My answer to your seat belt concern is tuck a folded hand towel under the belt, cushioning your tum. I use a towel, with success, it distributes the effect of inertia seat belts, so you're safe and secure in case of emergency. I do understand, we all want the protection of the seat belt but not the risk of pancaking the contents of the stoma, which is what happened to me...oh no!!!  I hadn't driven for 12 months, when I became mobile again off I went. One of my first trips was about 20 miles, OK going, but coming back I felt my leg moist, looked down to my WHITE pants dark brown wet patch, I was about 10 miles from home, so I just kept driving. Got home  and you all know the rest. This couldn't happen again, so I started searching for and answer, knowing I couldn' t be alone in this predicament.  I found the answer, somewhere online, since then I've put a towel over my tum, the extra padding is the solution, no feeling against my ileostomy, no fancy gadgets, simple and easy answer.

Do hope this helps, just try it for yourself,

Best of luck tall Geoff

Regards

Angela
gutenberg
May 27, 2010 1:44 pm
2lonely2long: your answer just goes to prove that sometimes the simplest answer is usually the best, keep it simple, thanks, Ed
Mike
May 27, 2010 4:26 pm
Hi Geoff,I had my doctor  write an excuse for not wearing a seatbelt and it was fine,then as time went on I started using the seatbelt again ,I guess I can deal with a little dis-comfort while driving Mike
Tall geoff
May 27, 2010 8:00 pm
Thanks guys its very interesting what people say my problem is im not a small guy and at 6 foot 9 tall and the belt hits right over my stoma i used a towel today and it was fine but still a pain in the ass having to do that every time i drive but hey lol id rather the hastle then a clean up job cos my bag has split lol keep the ideas comming as they all help xx geoff
Past Member
May 27, 2010 11:02 pm
Hey,

Maybe try one of those comfy pads what you put around your seat beat.

For example : http://personalaid.com/Seatbelt-Pad-Lap-Seat-Belt-For/M/B002Z02OZC.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk

Tim x
WOUNDED DOE
May 28, 2010 4:19 am
Hi Geoff!

Login to see image

I don't get online as much lately but nice to meet you

Login to see image

My ostomy is in the way of that belt too argh  :/  and that seat belt has caused problems for me in the past.   But I'm one who doesn't feel safe unless I'm wearing the seat belt these days, not since a girlfriend went sailing through her windshield....... so I discovered a few ways to make it more comfortable and less 'troublesome' .... like 2lonely2long said about using a towel...I have done that too!!  It DOES help!!  I had wrapped a dish towel around the belt in that area   but since purchased one of those fuzzy cusion things that are actually meant for the shoulder strap and put it on the tummy belt, it can still be tight but it doesn't seem to 'cut in' as badly....definitely more cusion is better than having that strap pressing and rubbing so hard against you, that's for sure.  Before cusioning that thing, wearing jeans wasn't too bad but whenever I would wear a dress of thin fabric that seat belt would sometimes make my stoma bleed a bit so I knew I had to figure something out....AND I recall having a little 'blowout' prob one day because of that darn belt...grrr.   It was maddening.     

Even though it's a pain in the ...........stoma...........lol..........I guess it's still a safer idea for other reasons than not wearing one at all.   Hey good luck with that dear!

Login to see image

Login to see image

~Doe
Past Member
May 28, 2010 4:44 am
Hi Geoff, I see you live in the UK, If you go to Halfords they have a clip that you put on your seat belt. I can't remember what it's called but it's for pregnant women, it works well for keeping the seat belt of your stoma. You might be able to get them at other car accessory stores?
bikerboy
May 28, 2010 11:17 pm
Im lucky I ride a moto/cycle ,but for kicks I ride down the street with no shirt on just because I can.Some people gag and some applaud.

But for my truck I put the belt under the bag and leave my shirt up .The 3 times I got pulled over for not wearing the belt I cracked the bag open when the officer approached.All 3 times they said sorry and drove away.Im a rebel and it feels good
precious299
May 30, 2010 8:53 pm
Hi Geoff

I the UK we as iliostomists can be excempt from wearing a seat belt. I do carry the exception in the car with me. I know some people would be safety concious over this idea, but me personaly with the surgery i had i realy dont have much of a choice, but to protect the ileostomy as much as possible. Your GP can give you an excemtion ceriticate if you ask him.
miyzy
May 30, 2010 9:20 pm
your right it is uncomfortable but a doctor will write you an excempt but the way people drive these days id feel safer wearing one the thing for pregnacies will work just dont get one with the duckies lol im glad im not a trucker

Login to see image

LeeTK
May 30, 2010 11:43 pm
Never had a problem wearing my seat belt, I know I can get an exemption but to be honest if it ever did become a problem I would try and find a solution that would still allow me to buckle up. I believe that there is a gadget on sale that allows a little slack in the belt for people with medical conditions. I'm sure the ostomy associations can recommend a suitable one.

I would never consider getting behind the wheel without a belt on!

Any 'damage' that might be caused by wearing a belt will surely pale into insignificance compared to the 'mess' you would be in if you had an unbelted car accident!
ZACK
May 31, 2010 1:22 am
This ZACK, longtime ileostomy and also annoyed by car seatbelt right where I least need it.

Heard about an item I am in the process of ordering.   Some kind of semi hard foam plastic spacer that fits over the belt right where the stoma is.  Might check out "Weir comfees" on internet.  Or their address is P. O. Box 255, Alliston, Ontario, L9R 1V5.  Phone 1-866-856-5088.   Believe it costs around 25 dollars US.  I'll let all of you know if I get one and it is any good.
topcat2
May 31, 2010 12:37 pm
Geoff,

I have a pillow  to protect my stoma. Small couch pillow. Works great.
lyke2travel
May 31, 2010 2:25 pm
Hello there!

For those of you that have problems with Stomas and seatbelts I've found a simple way that works marvelously for me.

Buy a small clothes pin or small pinch clamp and use it on the belt after you give your stoma enough slack....its adjustable that way. It won't slide past the grab or v in the buckle. Hope this helps.

Lyke2travel
Past Member
Jun 02, 2010 1:48 am
Hi all,

I know it's been quite a while.

Although my belt doesn't get it in the way, because I can raise or lower my car seat in the correct position. I do worry what would happen at impact.

When I rent a car that has a questionable lap belt, I sit on it and just use the chest belt. I still want some protection afterall.
retiredandluvit
Jun 07, 2010 2:35 am
I use what is called a "Tiddy Bear" I saw them on the Ellen DeGeneress show and ordered online.    It's a little pink teddy bear that attaches to the seat belt.  I also use on my Port - A - Cath sometimes after it's been accessed and is sensitive.

Login to see image

Tall geoff
Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm
Well thanks guys and galls for all your comments well i drive for a living but i really hate puting my seatbelt so not sure which option to go for

oh in a funny side here are my options

A ) get an exempt from my doctors and end up through the winscreen. in the event of a crazy driver smashing in to me.

B) continue to put on the seat belt and have my stoma badly hurt or even cut off in the event of a smash as the sharp tighening will for sure cut the stoma.

C) try to get a clip to put on the belt or though this will also hurt in the event of a smash as the belt with then be loose .

and more ideas lol.
Past Member
Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm
Convatec has a plastic shield that is held in position by an elastic belt. The shield was designed for sports but works great with seatbelts. I use it all the time to help hold in a prolapsed stoma. Convatec does not charge anything for the shield or shipping it to you; however, you will need to buy your own elastic belt. The Convatec elastic is of poor quality so use the Colopast belt instead (it is the only belt I have found that has clips that fit the Convatec shield). Here's the number for contacting Convatec for a shield: 1-800-465-6302

PS. Always wear a seat belt. I have been a professional driver since 1978 and I train driving instructors. I have seen the horrific injuries that occur when a person hits the inside of a vehicle or is ejected onto the road. The force at 60 km/hr is equivalent to jumping from the roof of a four storey building.
ZACK
Aug 31, 2010 6:08 am
This is ZACK, just did get one of those "Weir Comfees" seat belt protective covers and it really works.  And it seems to be worth the 25 dollars U.S. (plus another 16 for postage to US from Canada).  Simple enough design; two inch-thick styrofoam blocks about two inches square sewn into the ends of a double fold cloth cover maybe 10 inches long.  Seat belt threads through like your pants belt loops and the blocks make two inch thick spacers against your belly.  The cloth cover allows adjusting the space between the spacer blocks to leave your stoma free of any pressure from the seat belt.  Tooks lots of words here but this is something I have been looking for a long time as we travel by car a great deal.

Had to get this back to add that this device looks like it would be just the thing in a crash as the spacer blocks against your belly would keep the belt from contact with your stoma.
PatinPickering
May 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Tall Geoff.  This topic has come up again in 2015.  The thread included a link to Convatec's product call Stomaplex however I'd be more concerned that it isn't crushproof or (more importantly) shatterproof!  I live in Ontario Cda and my doctor agrees that the threat to the stoma is real so he created a note which I have carried with me the 20+ years since my surgery.  I buy all of my ostomy supplies from Shoppers Home Health (who specialize in ostomy products).  When I've asked staff or the supervisor there has never been positive results from their research.

I've tried a number of remedies but always ended up with discomfort (chafing, irritation from the seatbelt) or blockage during longer trips (i.e. over an hour).

If anyone comes up with a real workaround (i.e. that the seatbelt manufacturer's won't bitch about) I'd like to know about.