Night time fill up

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Oct 18, 2024 8:06 pm

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat but at night my bag fills all the way up. Yesterday I ate toast, and a yogurt all day that was all I had and over night my bag filled up totally. I woke at 1:55am and had to empty right away. Luckily no leaks. But the night before I ate pumpkin meatballs in a pumpkin and tomato sauce and boy did my bag fill up all the way to the filter. I only ate 4 meatballs and a little sauce. It just doesnt seem to matter what I eat. Why at night. During the day I have hardly any output. When I am sleeping my ostomy goes to town. What is that about? I can hardly eat less than toast and a yogurt. 

Ben38
Oct 18, 2024 9:13 pm

We're all unique everyone of us our digestive systems work differently no matter what we eat or times of day, I have loose output I drain my bag around 10 - 15 times a day but strangely at night it rarely needs emptying even if  I eat 1hr before I go to bed. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 18, 2024 9:30 pm
Reply to Ben38

You are so lucky not to have issues at night I cant even sleep a full night because I have to get up and empty or face the consequences. I take a sleeping pill and I have to take a low dose so that I can wake myself up to empty my bag. It kind of sucks. 

HenryM
Oct 18, 2024 10:23 pm

With an ileostomy, having to empty during the night is a given.  I try not to eat anything after 5 or 6 pm, but the best that I can hope for is only having to empty once rather than twice.  As someone else pointed out, tho', everyone is different.  You just have to gauge what works best for you.  

warrior
Oct 19, 2024 2:59 am
Reply to HenryM

Agreed.. spot on...but I do wonder how and  if being vertical or horizontal is the issue.  I can eat before 6 pm..

But still empty twice at night.

4 a.m. is the only single time and rare I go once. 

It exhausts you for work the next day. I wouldn't dare use a pill to help sleep. 

There were a few rare times while asleep, I felt a pop .woke up and saved the bed sheets.

It's like having a seventh sense. 

Totally blows for sure.

sitting also triggers massive flow too. For me, at least. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play