Parastomal Hernia Repair

Replies
Views
Ocker
Sep 22, 2011 6:39 am
My first, possibly only, blog. Thought I might share my experience of having a hernia repair. I have an Urostomy, since Sept.2010, and the hernia came about 4 months later. As I have stated before, my surgeon called it a " mother of a hernia'. It was probably the size of a softball ( I use the analogy of a softball as a deferance to our American cousins instead of ' cricket ball' ). The operation was carried out about 10 daysago and , as I came to in recovery , they decided to move me to another hospital owing to bed shortages. So, 2 hours after the op. I am bundled into an ambulance and hit the road. First we have to drop off another passenger at another facility which did'nt bother me too much as I'm away with the fairies.Then the ambulance took a wrong turn and we travelled the wrong way for 1/2 hour. Finally arrive at destination, get settled into bed , and then I notice I am wearing a colostomy bag and not an urostomy bag. Nowhere to plug into my night bag.Had to then change bags, fit wafer and new bag from my own emergency kit and supply own night bag. Asked ward nurse if she wanted to help me change bags.etc. She was a first year and did not want to go near it!. Luckily wife was handy to help out. Next morning told I am fit to go home and to please vacate by 10am.! They must have thought it's every persons dream to linger in hospital! However, the hernia has, so far , been fixed and is a lot more comfortable. The first 7 days were painful but gradually now coming back to normal. The op. scar is about 6 inches long but neat and tidy. I am finding it easier to walk,etc. and it does'nt catch on objects like before. Positive so far.

Past Member
Sep 22, 2011 6:08 pm
Wonderful Ocker. You sound like a real trouper, keep up the good work and keep us informed, okay?Best wishes, BEG
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gramps4
Sep 23, 2011 8:57 am
It doesn't work!!! I have had a Ileostomy since November 1992 and have had 21 major operations to repair my hernias,but it appears somewhere else I have had mesh inserted every time, and I now have the mesh infected and a discharge from the side of my stoma!!!
Past Member
Sep 24, 2011 5:26 pm
I love your positive outlook, Ocker. I have a small hernia now and my doctor said no one will operate on one that small. Scary to think it will get bigger as it is already so very uncomfortable at this size. I hope the surgery worked and you will not experience what poor gramps4 has gone through. I'm very sorry for your outcomes, gramps. All I can say is God Bless You.
gramps4
Sep 25, 2011 1:07 am
I do not let my problem worry me, as my surgeon said that as soon as I cannot manage it he will operate, but because of my age he is probably a little concerned!!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
mooza
Sep 25, 2011 9:24 am
ONYA OCKER GEEZUS WHERE THE HELL DIDYA GET YA OP DONE MATEY ??? GOONDAWINDI OR YAKANDANADA LOL WHAT THE !!! MOOZA .. MELBOURNE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
gramps4
Sep 25, 2011 10:43 am
Sydney!!!
Ocker
Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm
Hi Mooza! You know what the public system is like in Oz - in one day and then kicked out the next! Had the op.in good old Melbourne via Southern Health. Generally they have been pretty good but I suppose we all get a bad day. Can't complain though in case I have to go back!!
mooza
Sep 26, 2011 7:16 am
Yep i do know the sysyem way to well ocker !! hahah hopin you dont have to go back ohh southern Health is that the Monash i have been to that hospital also box hill, Cabrini.Alfred,one in east st,kilda mercy for women .royal melbourne , st Vincents, Mercy werribee cant remember the rest hahahahah know what u meant though getting worse free my arse lolol.
Ocker
Sep 26, 2011 10:17 pm
Geez Mooza, there is'nt many hospitals left to try - maybe a little bush hospital at the back of Bourke be worth a visit. If they gave out frequent flyer points for hospital visits you could have gone around the world a couple of times. Well, it's good to hear your still cheerful. The Monash is part of Southern Health as well as Moorabbin, Dandenong, Casey and a few health centres.
gramps4
Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm
Do NOT go to Dandenong Hospital!!!I was taken there by Ambulance at 3am with a bad attack of Gall Stones.I was the only one in Emergency and waited in severe pain till 5 am before being seen by a doctor!!!After xrays blood taken was told to go home. They dont take the stones out unless you have a temperature headache and vomiting!!!