Clothing

Replies
Views
Shelly2011
Sep 22, 2011 5:29 am
I am wondering if other women and men had issues with their clothing once they had ileostomy surgery? I am a 34 year old female and when I had my ostomy surgery, the stoma was in a different place when I woke up than the mark that was made on me. It is lower, so the waist band on most of my dress pants goes right across the top of my stoma. has anyone had any issues with this and if so, could you please give me some ideas on how to correct this problem.

Thanks!
DH
Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am
Hi Shelly,  I understand your dilema. But mine is a colostomy not an ileostomy ,so my stoma was placed low right about where the waist band of some of my pants are. I was told to make sure that waist bands either fall under the stoma or above the stoma.But it's ok if it is over the stoma as long as the waist band of your pants are loose and doesn't compress it. I just make sure that the waist bands are not tight and can allow for my stoma to do it's job. Don't worry,you don't have to where old lady jeans,they just have to fit a little looser around the stoma.

Login to see image

Donna
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

beatrice
Sep 23, 2011 12:22 am
With my ileo ... it's just been a matter of trying on lots of different waistbands. Many of my 'pre-ostomy' clothing items just didn't work anymore.

For me, the best is  a waistband that is right at the waist.

Hope you find things that work for you.
Degurosa
Sep 26, 2011 1:20 pm
I have the same problem and now wear leggings that come higher up - above the stoma. I'm also very short, which means that most of the time the waistband is just under my bust!

Hipster knickers are good as they fit under the stoma.

I've found that clothes designed for pregnancy are quite good - especially jeans. The actual jeans part is usually just under the stoma and then they have a knitted band that pulls up over the "bump" - in this case the stoma - which keeps the jeans up.

I've more or less given up wearing skirts and have switched to dresses.

I guess slim, young people could get away wearing the low-slung styles that are in fashion...sadly I'm neither young nor slim lol!
ChrisMonro
Sep 26, 2011 3:29 pm
My experience, and since I'm male, will be different, but associative. was that I didn't have to change ANY of my clothes. My ileostomy hasn't hampered my fashions, but due to adhesive failures, I have more changes of clothes than before, and darker colors are easier to manage when it comes to laundry.

It's true that you adjust your waistband a bit, now and then, and the device you use for collection may change, as you adapt. The hospital I went to started me on a two-piece device which was an utter failure, so I adapted. I can still Rescue SCUBA, perform my job and wear my Levis any time. It just takes some getting used to.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
bashful67
Oct 28, 2011 6:21 am
I am loving leggings with a dress. I am not usually a dress person, but the high waist of the leggins come up and hold down the top of my appliance bag and then the dress is loose fitting and not hindering anything. I wear flats or heels with the outfit and it seems to work fine for most events. It's all about comfort in my book, and a bonus if it turns out looking good and even stylish

Login to see image

Target and Kohl's have great selections....

good luck
Primeboy
Oct 29, 2011 2:42 am

Kohl's has a nice collection of Dockers type pants with expandable waists. I wear pants with stretchable waist lines along with a stretch belt. Here's the secret. I wear a really nice shirt which draws attention to itself so no one wastes time looking any lower. This afternoon at duplicate bridge I got a ton of compliments for my shirt. No one noticed my slightly higher waistline. Not sure if I am an artful dodger but there are many more important things to worry about. Good luck!
PB
bashful67
Nov 17, 2011 6:28 am
yep, keep em looking up top and they don't look down low...

Login to see image

I  seem to be looking for tops that are "busy" and have decided that if I keep moving, nobody will notice the "poof" at my waist....
leaseonlife
Jan 02, 2012 1:36 pm
My husband found the perfect thing for me to 'hide' my ostomy.  They are seemless tube tops!  The short ones are great in the warmer weather so you aren't so hot, however, I love the longer tube tops to totally hide my ostomy and scars!  I also like wearing the longer cami's because they stay better around the chest  

Login to see image

.  With the lower pants and the shirts that are longer, every now and then you just need that 'little' extra to feel more comfortable!  The shorter tube tops are also great during intimate times............ hides the bag and doesn't have it 'flop' all over  

Login to see image

notexpectingthis
Apr 03, 2012 11:28 pm
I know that I am a little late jumping in on this - but I was faced with the same delima recently after my unexpected ileostomy.  I found a great solution on ostomysecrets.com!  It is like a "tube top" but has an inner "pocket" to slide the bag into - this helps to keep it all smoothed out & helps to reduce the friction with the pants rubbing against it all day.  Also some days I am able to go without a belt now that I have these.  I ordered two & as long as you don't spring a leak you can swap them out all week & wash them with your regular laundry on laundry day.  Dresses & loose fitting skirts (Old Navy has tons for $12.99) still seem more comfortable-but I would still be in sweats or leggins if it wasn't for my wraps!!!!
Van guy
Apr 22, 2014 6:18 am
I've recently tried tube tops for intimate times and my new sweetheart and I have been very happy with the results - no floppy pouch and I feel lovable again! Ordered online for very little cost - I ordered  6" and 8" bandeau - the shipping costs more than the clothing - best mail order purchase ever!