First Blowout

Replies
Views
kbd
Oct 06, 2011 1:38 am
I guess I've done pretty good being able to avoid an ostomy leak/blowout for my fist 6 months with an ostomy. But tonight I had my first. I wear a 2-piece system, and evidently the bag pulled loose from the wafer at the bottom. It was a mess. I'm just grateful that it happened at home rather than when I was out and about. Very good reason to always have your supplies with you.

So when was your first blowout?

KBD
Primeboy
Oct 06, 2011 2:10 am
My blowout occurred on the first tee at the beginning of the golf season in late March. It developed because I did not properly adjust the seat belt while driving to the course. Anyway, I was prepared and did a fast change of equipment, and I made it back to the tee in only a few minutes. It reminded me that readiness is all and that panic is dysfunctional. The bottom line is that I learned not to fall apart when accidents happen, and, more importantly, not to let anything spoil a good round.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bag_n_drag
Oct 06, 2011 2:47 am
Bag_n_Drag say:  There are those who have had their first blowout; and those who will.  

Login to see image

Luckily, I haven't had one since I my initial surgery/hospital stay back in December; but there's always tomorrow.....

I use the Coloplast Sensura Click - Lock system (2 piece); which isn't the thinnest one out there but as long as you get the bag on and it does "click"; so far its been very safe.  Now watch me have a huge blowout tomorrow!!!!!

Login to see image

Diveman
Oct 06, 2011 7:31 am
I had a small blowout this morning. I am in the process of buying a new company and it was my first day at work!!! As I was bending down to put on my shoes before leaving for work, I felt it go, could see the liquid on my shirt.

Uh Oh, not good. Got through it and have a new bag on now so life is good again.

I have just got to learn to not sweat the little things.
mooza
Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am
lol twas sooo long ago now which ostomy the first stoma hmm second or third okay the first .Lets see my first stoma should of been a Model fior stoma's Perfect only had her for one year No Leaks ..

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Second one OMG first time was a lucky to i was at home but it was the stoma retracting hahahah happened at the Pub, also out at a Bar for a friends party had a great friend Nick he drove me home every time as a true Aussie i would have the quickest wash while Nick'o waited and whalla i was back out and about back to the pub nick LOL i finally got my shallow convex pouch and never looked back a true osto has had a leak i have heard the funniest storys On here also at Ostomy Assoc.. but not at the time i used to freak out used too interupt my sleeps and night out ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

hahahahahahahahah xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
newcomer
Oct 10, 2011 10:11 pm
I have had several so called blow outs since my ileostomy 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Most at home but I learned to put mattress cover on and at first slept on a bed pad. I also use a 2 piece either click and lock or stick ons. I would die without these I can not drain a bag to save my soul. I just flew for the first time and had no problems at all. I did not eat after midnight the day before and did just fine. Changed during layover and was done with it.  I felt kinda normal.

Login to see image

It was great. I wear a tight tank overtop to hold and then loose shirt on top and you can not even tell.

Login to see image

newcomer
Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm
My stoma called "BB" has quite a sense of humor. She retracts and looks like a snake moving around under my shirt and spits sometimes sounds and feels very funny.

Login to see image

She has made a few very loud sounds in public and I say shhhh no BB!!  and people look at me kinda crazy and I just pat my belly.  I guess we finda a different kind of humor in our situations.

Login to see image

ilsn2u
Oct 10, 2011 10:53 pm
My first blowout was in a restaurant--I realized my slacks were damp and gave my husband a signal that we had to leave---but when I stood up, the full contents of that bag just came down my leg and onto the floor.  People asked me if I was embarrassed, but I was too numb to feel embarrassed--my husband and one of the gals we were with (a cousin who is a nurse) cleaned it up and hurried me out to the car--I went in the house and got into the shower, clothes and all.  The bottom line is--you've got to keep that sense of humor!  You either laugh or you cry, and laughing is much more fun!
kbd
Oct 10, 2011 10:59 pm
Thanks for sharing the stories folks! We definitely need a sense of humor about these things.

KBD
rosiemoe
Oct 11, 2011 1:07 am
my first bad leak was a few weeks after i came home from hospital,i blamed the dog for the smell

Login to see image

the second was in the chemist,i just acted like i had no idea where the smell was coming from

Login to see image

now and then i leak as my stoma is in a dip,and i find it hard to get a bag to fit snugly sometimes,mine also makes sounds,i just say "0ppppps my bag is squeeking".

you have to laugh about it or you would never leave the house

Login to see image

Lalu
Oct 11, 2011 8:46 am
I'm just in awe of some of you!  My first few months, I don't think I ever changed the barrier because I thought it was time - every change was because of leaks.  I almost never left the house and every time I did, I inevitably started leaking, which just made me more housebound.  Most of my leaks happened at home, but that was only because I was rarely anyplace else.  I can't imagine having gone through my first 6 months without a leak.  

After sleeping very little over the last couple of months, I've been exhausted and recently slept maybe 3 hours straight.  Since my one and only ambulance ride came about because of dehydration, I'm constantly drinking.  I now live alone with my dog and he's just not smart enough to call 911 if I pass out, so I can't let that happen.  When I woke up after my 3 hours, the bag was full and when I got out of bed, it just fell off (I use Coloplast Assura with the clicks - don't think it doesn't happen).  Still basically asleep, I picked the bag up off the floor the wrong way - that pretty much woke me up.  I have an ileo, don't take diarrhea medications and generally use high output pouches, so it wasn't a pretty picture.   Living alone, I can yell and scream, which helps to let go of my frustrations and is a way to keep from internalizing things.  I used to freak out whenever I had a leakage problem and what's changed is now when I yell and scream, I'm also laughing, as I know I'll get things cleaned up and in a short while it will all be behind me.  As PB basically said, attitude is everything.
nesteka
Oct 11, 2011 9:01 am
My first Blow out was at a Flea market.... no fun let me tell you!

But my worst one was  when I went to dinner at TGIFs.  My God it was everywhere and just kept coming on the whole ride home...no stopping it.  I had to wrap shopping bags some how around my middle and clench my arms around myself to try and stop it from oozing down and getting on the Interior of the car. The owner of the car was nervous and driving as fast as he could. LOL

We had to roll the damn windows all down for the smell was horrible....what a diaster that night was. I was crying from embarrassment and laughing at the same time...it was just ridiculous!

My problem was never the bag letting loose, it is always the waste seeping out under the Wafer.

Now I have started irrigation......much better.....no more accidents. I wish I would have tried this from the start. I'm not crazy about the process of irrigating but the results and getting control back of when I go potty is worth it, plus the added bonus of not stinkin up someones car!!!!!
Past Member
Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am
The lady I met who introduced me to the Irrigation equipment told me that one thing about our bags & various equipment - we rarely make the same mistake twice -- because we know what happens!!!!   Except -- I'm a slow learner and HAVE had the same problem twice.  But, it does make you more aware of how your equipment works, what causes leaks, etc.  I don't go out all that much except to go grocery shopping or to Wal-Mart, so I've become a bit lazy at making sure I have extra equipment in my purse ------ except I do have a whole 'kit' in my car!!!!!

And, I totally understand the one lady who said she went in the shower clothes and all.  I did that, too.  I can't remember the actual circumstances - but I do remember taking the shower with my clothes on.  At least, it was easy to clean them and me up!!!!!!!!!

Do any of you use liners in your bags??  Colo-Majic Enterprises in Canada (B.C.) makes them.  They have a site online if you want to check them out.  They are easy to dispose of and extends the life of your bags, which saves money on bags!!!!

There are also 'diamonds' that you can put in your bags that help solidify your waste, I believe (I don't need to use them)  You can find them at ostomycareandsupply.com  The only e-mail address I have is ****.  (Andy is a girl)  They are also in B.C., Canada.

Without a sense of humour our days would be very long and daunting, some times!!!!!

Keep laughing at yourself and smiling at the world -- keep everyone wondering what you're up to!!
bfraser1999
Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am
Hi, I don't know if you can get this in the UK. but I also have a dip on the lower left side of my stoma and I use Convatec/Cohesive Slims. I have to use one and a half. I cut one ring in half and apply it to where the dip is and then apply another whole ring on top. It works great. I know it is more product but it is the only thing I found would keep my flange on and stop me from leaking. I tried other thicker rings of the same brand but the slims worked best. Hope this is of some help. I have had 4 blow outs but luckily in bed.in the middle of the night. A mess yes but I survived.  We all do have a special sense of humor. Thank the Lord for that.
Lalu
Oct 12, 2011 3:39 am
I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just don't know exactly what constitutes a blow-out.  I was thinking of it as a major leak and can't believe so many people have been able to go so long without one.  Is that the same definition other people are using for blow-out?
MarkP
Oct 12, 2011 7:00 am
I don't know how people lasted so long without a leak. My first was in hospital 2 days after the op the bag came of and went everywhere as I was sedated so didn't realise for several hours luckily I was in a single room so no one else was affected.
kenkd
Oct 12, 2011 4:28 pm
I dunno, but I've been using ostomy belts which seem to help me avoid blowouts. Ever since I started using them two years ago I haven't had a single blow out, (although the bag can still come loose from the wafer if enough resistance occurs). I reinforce the method by using centerpoint lock 2 piece systems by Hollister.. If the bag comes loose when it is too full (like during the night), the method seems to minimize the mess, and that's only happened on two occasions with me.
stickfloatdave
Oct 13, 2011 10:36 pm
thanks kbd

never mind the first blowout

read your post late last night and guess what the first one in two years.

great fun ha ha

Login to see image

gutenberg
Oct 13, 2011 11:20 pm
Blowout: If you have shit anywhere not in the bag, you have a blowout, if you get up to go to the bathroom and the pouch gets there 3 feet before you do, you have a f@*&%#@ blowout, just a matter of degrees, Ed
bag_n_drag
Oct 13, 2011 11:45 pm
A friend of mine had a "wine blowout" once when she drank a glass of wine right before bedtime.....gives a whole new meaning to the old Ernest and Julio Gallo moniker; let's see.... "We will blow no bag o'wine before its time!"

Login to see image

three
Oct 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Blowout: If you forget to empty the bag, and Convatec's velcro closure forgets you are walking down the sidewalk in a posh shopping district with crowds everywhere, and your jeans forget they shouldn't exert pressure on a full bag with each step you take, you have a f@*&%#@ blowout, just a matter of degrees, David  

Login to see image

gutenberg
Oct 14, 2011 2:21 am
In keeping with the theme Blowouts, here's a story I posted a while ago and now I think its funny.

One day a couple of years ago our daughter came over to make a crock of homemade beans for us. Now I like beans but these were especially good, three helpings good, and you're probably ahead of me by now. Anyway about three in the morning I woke up with my pouch stretched to the max, as I made my way to the bathroom gently holding onto the pouch and as I made it into the bathroom, WHOOPS, there she blows, about three feet ahead of me on the floor lay the pouch, after backfiring all over me and now all over the floor, what a F*&%# mess, and I had to clean up the bathroom before I could get in the shower clothes and all, my tee shirt and pajamas were all lathered up before I even thought of removing them. After getting all cleaned up and was ready to put on the new flange, you guessed it, spurt, spurt and down my leg and onto the floor, luckily I still had the mop and bucket there and after more cleaning I finally got the flange on and put on a new pouch and as I was putting on the clip, just in time as I felt this huge squirt, ha, betcha, asshole, but now it seems funny and now I never have more than two helpings, and that's my story, Ed  

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

kbd
Oct 14, 2011 6:33 am
Eating Beans, nothing like living on the edge

Login to see image

KBD
Lalu
Oct 15, 2011 4:13 am
Ken, no matter what's going on, it seems that part of me is always aware of the pouch, partly watching for leaks, partly just because it's there.  I always thought that wearing a belt would just be one more thing that I'd always feel, so never tried one.  Do you eventually stop noticing the belt after a while?

Ed, Dave, Darla, David  -  Thanks for the laughs.  I had forgotten all about this until Ed brought it back to me.  Sometime within the first few months after my surgery, I asked my husband to bring home 2 bean burritos from Taco Bell for me.  I didn't get the 1/2 pounders, but there were still 2 of them.  Never thought about the consequences and won't even mention what happened as it's too obvious.  That was the last time I ever had 2 of 'em.
bag_n_drag
Oct 15, 2011 4:25 am
Laurie - Boy I miss those bean burritos with green sauce from Taco Bell.....extra cheese, no onions!  I have not had one of those in over a year now...for obvious reasons.  After I have my reversal and do my several months of "time" on the john afterwards trying to get regulated, I will dive into those bean burritos again!  Hopefully not literally, tho!

Login to see image

kbd
Oct 15, 2011 4:57 am
I also wear a belt and you do stop noticing it is on after awhile, but you definitely notice when you are not wearing it after wearing it. The belt makes me feel more secure.

KBD
Past Member
Oct 25, 2011 12:51 pm
I know this thread is a bit old now, but I just had a read through it.

I've had a few blow out so far, two at home and one while I was out. Luckily it happened just as I was getting out of the car at the grocery store. So I just hopped back in cleaned up a bit and drove back home to finish cleaning.

Primeboy said it great that readiness is all. If you're prepared that this might (will) happen at some point it makes it that much easier to deal with.

Hearing everyone's stories certainly helps. It's nice to know you're not alone, that there are many others that have experienced the same thing you have and likely even worse. Helps keep things in perspective.
kbd
Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm
I take a small case with me most places packed with supplies for emergencies. Recently I feared a blowout when stuck in traffic and my bag was expanded to the max with gas. I had this image in my mind of a balloon full of air when you let it go without the end tied and it goes shooting across the room

Login to see image

luckily my bag didn't blow and I got it changed as soon as I got home.

KBD
three
Oct 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi kbd ~ the Osto EZ Vent is great in situations like this:

http://www.kemonline.com/content/administration/ProductInfo
kbd
Oct 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi kbd ~ the Osto EZ Vent is great in situations like this:

http://www.kemonline.com/content/administration/ProductInfo      

That does look like a good product. I have a tab on my two piece system that I can open to let air out, but wouldn't want to do it in a car with two other people inside

Login to see image

KBD