A first since my surgery

Replies
Views
Laura59
Feb 20, 2012 3:22 am
I finally got up the nerve to take a hot bath..... I've been nervous to do so since the surgery.   I figured tonite was my night to change wafer, so why not chance a bath.  If it ruins the seal, no big deal.   It was glorious!!!  My first soak since surgery

Login to see image

.   I'm happy.  LOL
funnygurl
Feb 20, 2012 4:04 am
i love water.  I swim and go in hot tubs a lot.  My tub is my fav place.  I haven't actually found anything my ostomy prevents me from doing.  You go girl!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ridge
Feb 21, 2012 3:39 am
If water proves to be a problem, try blow drying the tape edges when you are done. And don't ever waste money on the expensive water proof tapes as good old fashioned black electrical tape out performs them all.
Gt Grandma
Feb 21, 2012 5:42 am
Hello so glad you enjoyed your wonderful bath, I don't shower either. I have an Ileostomy and I

do remove the sticky outer seal part prior to getting in the tub as it makes a hard mess to clean off. I have had mine 10 years nearly eleven and enjoy my bath, must admit not every day as I would have to re-do the whole system I try for Monday and Friday and change system right after. Enjoy:-)
winter
Feb 21, 2012 6:36 am
maybe i should take the plunge. i've been nervous to do so.....it's been 2 1/2 years for me. thank you so much.i have no one to talk to about that stuff, so it is good to talk to you. have a great day.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
nogutz
Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm
Laura good for you ,it is a big move and with that attitude your going to be right back at it in no time,those struggles seem so long ago.I say if it feels like the right time then proceed with caution,good luck!

Winter you sound new to this site, I think you will find all your questions and answers right on this site.So do not hesitate to ask!good luck as well.

take care
renee851
Feb 22, 2012 12:25 am
I am glad you enjoyed your bath. I haven't tried it yet. Your post is giving me the confidence to try it. Thanks.
Laura59
Feb 22, 2012 2:47 am
Thanks to you all.    It was actually coming onto this sight that has helped with my courage to try a few things.
tim1948
Feb 22, 2012 3:10 am
A BATH?? C'mon...I scuba dive.  Noooo Problem

Login to see image

Big H
Feb 23, 2012 1:22 am
I have had an ileostomy for many, many years.  I swim, soak in a hot tub without worries.

A few years ago an e.t. nurse recommended a product called Sure Seal Rings, a very thin adhesive ring that fits around the flange. Its completely waterproof, non irritating and helps me keep my appliance on 3 or 4 days longer.

Perhaps when you have had your ostomy a bit longer and feel more secure you can try this remarkable product. The place where you get your equipment from will send you a sample.

Good luck.
christiesdad
Feb 24, 2012 4:40 am
I had a reversal after one year,  but when I wore the bag...........I would take a tub bath right after I "emptied" and then go for a while with just the stoma exposed.  Seemed to help some with the irritation.  Let it dry for a while and just keep an eye on it.  Had a few close calls, but nother major.

Good luck to you!
tim1948
Mar 26, 2012 9:40 pm
Can I ask a dumb question?  I am new to the site.  I have a colostomy, but I hear iliostomy mentioned frequently.  Just what IS an Iliostomy?
Primeboy
Mar 26, 2012 11:47 pm

There are no dumb questions here; maybe some dumb answers once in a while. I am pretty sure my answer isn't one of them since I went to a truly authorative source:"about.com." Here goes:

Different types of ostomy are performed depending on how much and what part of the intestines are removed. The surgeries are called ileostomy, colostomy, and ileoanal reservoir surgery. When the colon and rectum are removed, the surgeon performs an ileostomy to attach the bottom of the small intestine (ileum) to the stoma. When the rectum is removed, the surgeon performs a colostomy to attach the colon to the stoma. A temporary colostomy may be performed when part of the colon has been removed and the rest of the colon needs to heal.

Welcome to this site, and we hope to see more of you.

PB