Has anyone on the forum joined Gilda's Club, for support

Replies
Views
hometown
Feb 29, 2012 4:41 am
Hi All,  I finally took the big step and joined Gilda's Club for Cancer support.  I will have my first meeting on Thurs and I am happy and nervous at the same time.  I have no support at home and this battle with cancer and a colostomy has been a very hard journey for me.  If anyone has ever been in this support group let me know   Thanks   Joyce
Past Member
Mar 01, 2012 4:04 pm
Joyce,

I have not joined a support group. It saddens me that you do not have any support. But, you have joined the ostomates website and here, you will find that you have more support than you know what to do with. There are trully some amazing people on here.  I, thankfully, have the most wonderful support system at home with an awesomely amazing husband, three teenage children that are really helpful and caring and a several amazing friends. I am here to say, if you ever need an ear to bend or a shoulder, you can count on me. I am on here every day because of the awesome people here. I certainly hope that your support group offers you everything you need, are looking for and more than that, you find comfort and support.

Hope your day is full of sunshine, rainbows and giggles. If not, I got plenty to send to you.

Mandy
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

hometown
Mar 01, 2012 9:14 pm
Hi Mandy, thanks for the support.  I sent you a reply but don't know if you got it or not.  I am getting ready to attend my first meeting tonight.    Joyce
atlarge
Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm
Know what you mean about lack of support for us cancer survivors with ileostomies and reversals from family, etc. Let me know how this support group worked out.
NJ1215
Mar 06, 2012 8:24 pm
Hi Joyce,

I go Gilda's Group in Hackersack, NJ.  I started at the support group on Tuesday afternoon but than stopped going and joined the Tai Chi class on Monday afternoon's.  The instructor is very good.  I have not been their in awhile because of car problems.  Is the group that you are attending on Thurs?  If so, you will like it....great support and great people to meet.

Cathy

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
hometown
Mar 06, 2012 9:19 pm
Hi Cathy, boy was I happy to see someone that goes to Hackensack Gilda's as I have never met anyone from around here.  I did go last thurs and it was several people who are with non curable cancer and I felt so sorry for them.  The only thing I didn't care for was I felt like I was in school as the woman who runs the thurs said the meeting starts promptly at 6pm and dismisses at 730pm sharp, and at 730pm everyone litteraly ran out.  I will try it again and would hope to meet people to chat with.  Do you go to Hackensack John Theurer Cancer Center?  Thanks for sending out the mail      Joyce