Gastro with a Bag

Replies
Views
wookie2005
Sep 12, 2012 5:51 am
Hey, i know i havent been on here in a long time, but i have recently got Gastro and everything i do seems to make it worse. Im not sleeping at night because i am scared that i will wake up to a leaking bag,and need to change all my sheets and wake my husband up ect. I am still experiencing leaking bags throughout the day and in the ast 24 hrs i have needed to change it 7 times, with emptying every half hr or so. I am trying to find things to settle the acid down and the cramps i am getting. If anyone has experienced this please let me know what you have done to help it. Im almost at the point of going to Hospital as i am so weak...

thanks

Brooke
Past Member
Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm
maybe if you're that weak then a trip to the hospital becomes a should
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

notexpectingthis
Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Emptying the bag that often has got to get you dehydrated - it did me!!!!!  Try Gatorade it helped me alot - I drank the G2 "rain".

I lost my bag several times throughout the day. Have you tried a Marlin bag with shallow convexity? This helped me alot!! My skin was totaly shredded from the bag falling off so many times.

Sinful is right - make that trip to the ER for hydration if you feel you need to. That is nothing to play around with. Get an appointment with a GOOD ostomy nurse.

Will keep you in my thoughts!

Melissa
Past Member
Sep 13, 2012 1:53 am
I had similar symtoms and ended up in the hospital 4 times after my ileostomy surgery for dehydration.  I now take up to 18 immodium's a day and I drink metamucil and I have a prescription for a powder to drink to bulk up my output.  I am just considered a "high output" patient and I have to take very special care of myself.  I also have an ostomy nurse and when I was leaking as much as you are leaking, she finally measured my stoma over and over again and it had shrunk.  I have pre- cut appliances now because I could not cut the hole properly.  I just kept leaking.  It has finally toned down, but I could not have done these things without all the professional help I got.  Try and get some help asap,  especially the gastro docs and the stoma nurses.  They helped me so so much.

Good luck,

Betty