Considering Ileostomy Reversal: Seeking Positive Experiences

Replies
Views
andread
May 10, 2016 8:18 am

I desperately want to get a reversal and can but not sure until next week when I see my surgeon when I can have it done.  I have an end ilestomy, surgeon did this even though it was going to be temporary because I had had a massive rectocele repair job and he wanted that to heal so didn't want to do a loop and I still have stool going on the wound.  I am aware that the surgery for an end is bigger than for a loop.  I am terrified of more surgery but want it done ASAP so I can get on with my life.  I want to hear positive stories and how did you cope with pain after op, how long did it last.  I haveno disease so insides will heal.  Is the op a lot worse than having the ilestomy formed.  I suffer terrible anxiety at the moment knowing that I have one more surgery Togo and sorry for that sounding selfish because I know many people would love to e in that boat.  I really need some positive stories please.  Is it really that bad?  Thank you and happy healing to everyone.

Past Member
May 10, 2016 4:37 pm

andread, please make sure you get ALL the necessary information from your surgeon.  Being reversed also carries it's own series of possible problems that can require ongoing surgery. THIS IS NOT TO DISCOURAGE YOU--I'M ALL FOR RESECTION.  But be sure you are aware of any and all possibiitites.  Also, ask your surgeon about BCIR--it is the Barnett Continent Intestinal Resevoir.  Do some research for yourself online, and gather all the information you can for yourself about all of the procedures before you speak with your surgeon.

Peace

Nancy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.