Gram Parsons

Replies
Views
bmeup
Sep 17, 2012 4:16 pm
Hey are there any fellow ostomates going to the 15th Annual Gram Parsons Guitar Pull and Tribute next month.  If so let's meet! Gonna be an awesome weekend!

http://www.gramparsonsguitarpull.com/
Pinky
Oct 17, 2012 7:20 pm
There might now be many people on this site who know who Gram Parsons is, since many are either too young or don't live in the USA (or do but still don't know who he is - he was a bit obscure and lived way too short a life).

I have several of his albums both with the Flying Burrito Brothers and his solo albums.  I love his duets with Emmy Lou Harris.

Did you read Keith Richard's biography "Life"?  The section in there where Gram lived with the Stones was sad and interesting.

I live only about 100 miles from Joshua Tree and have always planned to visit the places there associated with him.

I'm a big fan of Townes Van Zandt and feel that he, like Gram, has always been overlooked for contributions to the world of "Nashville rock" (?)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bmeup
Nov 12, 2012 3:17 pm
Hey Pinky!

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.  Wow, you should go to Joshua Tree some time.  I was in LA a couple of times but never made it out there and I would still like to go.  My trip to Waycross was fantastic.  I actually drove down there with a facebook friend who I picked up in Atlanta.  She spent about a year or two living in Joshua Tree and it changed her life, but then she is a huge Gram fan.  I love his music and he was a very sad character, but a really interesting musician and wonderful songwriter.  I've seen a couple of movies about his life and in one documentary about him there is a significant amount of time spent dealing with his Keith Richards friendship.  It is very sad that he died so young and before he could really come to maturity in his creative endeavors.  I love the EmmyLou duets.  Theirs was a magical musical chemistry that only happens occasionally, but when you hear it you are mesmerized.  I picked up a copy of "Twenty Thousand Roads" and it is my next read when I finish my current one. Waycross is a tiny little town and I could certainly understand how someone could feel the need to get out and see the world after growing up there.  The festival was awesome and really laid back.  You might consider going next year.  I thought I might be surrounded by a bunch of hippie freaks but most of the people there were around my age (40-50-ish) and there were lots of children.  The musical performances were very good and for me the highlight was Saturday night when Dr. Ralph Stanley and The Clinch Mountain Boys played and then Jim Lauderdale.  After Jim was Ian Dunlop who I met later and he is a very interesting and engaging person.  The whole experience was so great and it was my first time venturing out to this kind of event since I got my little buddy.  I was worried about having an issue and told my friend about it so she wouldn't think I was rude if I suddenly had to bolt.  Turned out she was very familiar with our issues because her brother has a pouch due to Crohn's.  Small world, huh?  So I felt very safe and didn't have to worry about a thing.  Overall a great experience and maybe I'll see you there next year!