Sudden Ostomy Appliance Leaks After 32 Years - Help!

Replies
Views
sooziq
Nov 18, 2010 10:06 pm
Any ideas on how to stop this leakage problem I have developed after 32 years with an ileostomy? I have gained weight but just all of a sudden my ostomy appliance will leak day I change or next day? I used to get 6 to 7 day wear time with torbot facepalte ,and sealtite gasket,eakin ring and paste now I"m lucky to get one day if that! I have a dip now on left side of stoma and my stoma has always been flush.I went to stoma nurse, she helped me 32 years ago and also has ileostomy, but It just is not fixing my leaks,she told me try Hollister New Image and I did with  belt still 2 days and leaks?Any ideas or information will be gratly appriciated.
weewee
Nov 18, 2010 10:35 pm
there is medical adhesive and using a hair dryer one the wafferget it really warm and apply
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

sooziq
Nov 18, 2010 11:07 pm
By medical adhesive do you mean the Eakin seal? Sorry to be ignorant after all this time they change appliances it seems?Just really frustrated now!
airforce1
i had that problem i wear a two piece and a belt
airforce1
i had that problem i wear a two piece and a belt

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
sooziq
Nov 18, 2010 11:08 pm
So how many days can you get? the belt seemed to help with 1 day but when I am used to 67 days?Thanks
sooziq
Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm
So how many days can you get? the belt seemed to help with 1 day but when I am used to 6-7 days?Thanks

OOps not 67 6 to 7 days.
KennyT
Nov 19, 2010 12:12 am
I had pretty much had the same problem as you sooziq. After my ileostomy operation this year I found that due to a slight dip around one side of my stoma I was suffering from leaks within a day of putting on a new pouch. After discussing these issues with my stoma nurse she recommended I try a Pelican pouch. I tried these pouches and found that using them with Eakin seals I no longer had problems with leakage and could wear the same pouch for days on end. They are one piece drainable pouches and the backing plates are very pliable meaning they follow the contours of your skin very effectively. They gave me a great sense of security and confidence and I was longer apprehensive when it came to leakages.

These pouches are manufactured by Eakin and if you want to try them ask your stoma nurse about Pelican Drainable pouches code no 839336.

Ken
airforce1
Nov 19, 2010 12:35 am
when you frist said 67 days i thought man thats a long time i can get 4 days with that and i also wear a convex seal with it i put it around the stoma
weewee
Nov 19, 2010 12:52 am
yes the spray is made buy hollister 7730 medical spraY THERE IS AN ANOTHER ONE CALLED CEMENT ALSO YOU CAN FIND STUFF CHEaper online then buying at the medical supply
ron in mich
Nov 19, 2010 4:37 am
hi sooziq have you tried wafers with convexity? also with a belt to force the stoma out more to drain into the pouch,call the suppliers for samples of the differant brands.   good luck ron in mich.
janice
Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am
I use the coloplast sensura/assura with convexity.  I recieved my first shipment in July and have had exactly TWO leaks in 5 months!  I also use the eakin seals.  You can cut off a little slit from the eakin seal and put it in the dip in your skin.  That may help some. I get 4 - 5 days weartime but that is my CHOICE to change that often, not because of leakage.
southerngal
Nov 19, 2010 3:24 pm
I had a permanent ileostomy 04/09. I wear the Coloplast SenSura one piece (no. 15522) and use barrier adhesive wipes.  This is the only style I have used and am not familiar with other products.  Initially, I could wear my pouch 4 - 5 days.  Since I have been more active it seems I need to  change my pouch every other day.  Can anyone recommend a product that will last longer even after showering?  FYI, I use regular Dial soap with no lotions or perfumes.
butterfly48
Nov 19, 2010 4:50 pm
I know this sounds crazy, but because of  weather changes I notice my flange has started leaking always in the same place.  So I just squirt the paste right up where I see and know

where its going to leak.  Usually it takes a day and I will see the gap, I also use tape.  I found

that if I use rubber pants and tape around my waist line I can have a decent shower.  I purchased a special product to wear for showering, it kinda works but it takes longer to put on then my shower so I just stay with the rubber pants, it is made with the same material as a shower cap.  By wearing these pants you can't clean yourself 100% so I have to hand wash

where I need to,  but least you don't get your pouch or bag wet, and can benefit with taking a shower.    So I can still get 4 to 5 days or more with the same flange.  Unfortunately this is a learning process for all of us and between weather changes, stress, eating different foods etc, it seems to affect our stomas and the way they behave.

Login to see image

Butterfly48
southerngal
Nov 19, 2010 5:03 pm
Thanks to Butterfly48.  You've given me info that I wasn't even aware of.  I have never used paste with my product since I was told it wasn't necessary.  Is the tape you use "over the counter"?.  Same question for digestive enzymes.  All food seems to go right through me (except fat, of course) and I empty my pouch 5 - 7 times a day.
Past Member
Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm
I use the Hollister 14202 Flange and 18182 pouch. They work great for me. I tried Coloplast but then I got a hernia at the stoma and it made the Colo[last not fit anymore. My ET nurse brought me samples of the Hollister to try last year and that's all I use now. I do apply the paste around the cut. It hasn't come loose on me in the shower, not yet anyway. I wash myself with Axe body wash before changing the pouch and flange, and then wash that area with Ivory soap.
magpie
Nov 21, 2010 2:23 am
I have had my ileostomy for 29 yrs. and never any problems with leaking until the past year and found that switching to pouch with convexity completely solved the problem.  Wear time 4 days with no problems.  I'm convinced!  Perhaps this would work for you

Login to see image

Lalu
Dec 30, 2010 6:17 am
Hi, Soozig.  I know I'm chiming in a little late, but I have bulges and dips.  The area around my deepest dip has been a problem.  Before putting on a barrier, I warm up a small piece of Adapt Barrier Strip by Hollister and kind of flatten it a little, then just put it into the dip.  After I put on the barrier, I use the Genairex Barrier Strip over it.  Despite the cost, I started using the Genairex strips around the whole barrier - "picture-framing" the barrier.  It definitely helps me feel a little more secure.

Good Luck