Switching from BCIR to Traditional Ileostomy Due to Tumors

Replies
Views
Prince Velvet
Jun 06, 2016 2:44 am

Hello all, F.A.P. is genetic on my dads side. I got a total colectomy on October 1st 1997. Bout 12 years ago my BCIR started having continence issues. I found out this past December that the reason is I have 2 Desmoid Tumors, one of which is attached to my BCIR and has damaged it. The other is tangled up in my small intestine. So the 22nd of June (this month) the Intestinal Transplant team in Pittsburgh PA will be removing the tumors. Since my BCIR is damaged and intestines are precious, my Dr has decided to remove my BCIR and give me a traditional Ileostomy.

Has anyone switched from a BCIR to a traditional Ileostomy & can you share any wisdom to me?

Past Member
Jun 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Prince Velvet--have you spoken with the surgeon who performed your BCIR.  I'm sure that Dr. Rehnke and/or Susan Kay in Palms of Pasadena in St. Petersburg, Fla would be able to give you relative information regarding that switch.  Good Luck

Peace

Nancy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.