Wound Care Progress and Dealing with a New Hernia

Replies
Views
Emra
Sep 11, 2016 2:21 pm

First off...thank you all for your previous kind and very informative and supportive responses. My colostomy is now 4 months old...I count that day as my new birthday. Surgery was done emergently secondary to a perforated sigmoid secondary to a pesky diverticula that decided it needed to expand and grow! Anyway...I had many issues - primarily with leakage and then developed an incisional infection.

After much trial and error, and some engineering input from my precious mate, the leakage problems are now nonexistent for 3 months (convex wafer and matching paste rings on stoma and wafer)! My ongoing issue is the incision wounds...the incision had to be opened and drained followed by 3 times a day showers with dressing changes. Now...much of the area has healed, and yes, the scars have flattened considerably; however, I still have two areas that are draining - they are classified as chronic wounds. I now attend a wound clinic, using Fibracol plus "stuffing" and praying that this will work. The reversal will not take place until these two areas are securely healed. I'm getting on with it...taking things one day at a time. Remaining calm and positive.

So I was looking at my stoma and it looked a bit roundish...showed it to my surgeon and he said I've got a hernia which many folks get (which I knew from this site!!!), which, in essence, was surgically made when he gave me my lifesaving stoma. He will fix it up when he does the reversal. Everything is working fine and I am focused on having a return of good health...whatever it takes.

Good news is that my colonoscopy came back clean and I do not need to have another for 5 years...I don't know if that time frame will change after my reversal.

I am looking out my back window into my garden...winds are blowing and leaves are falling from some of the trees. I've now gotten through two seasons, Spring and Summer, with my new status...and whilst I may look a little different...my inside soul is returning. Like the garden, I've gone through changes...but changes do not mean the end...just a new beginning. Without you folks and some wonderful caregivers, this would not be possible. I came here at my lowest point...I didn't want to go on...but that little voice inside, the same one that told me to get up and walk after the surgery despite my wanting to stay in bed and never get out...well, that little voice told me that there were others out there like me and maybe, just maybe, they could give me some answers. I was so right and remain grateful for finding you.

Thank you all!

mild_mannered_super_hero
Sep 12, 2016 1:43 am

attitude is 90% of life, hopefully a little good luck will make up the difference. sounds like you are well on your way to success ! well done

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Sep 12, 2016 5:38 am

Hello Emra. Thank you so much for updating us on you situation and I'm so glad that you got something positive from coming and chatting to us.

You are so fortunate to have a 'little voice' that tells you to stay positive and to keep looking forward. This is a part of the 'attitude' that MMSH refers to and it can be a lifesaver.  We all need a little help at times, especially when we hit a low. However, the main effort comes, not from others, who are willing to give a little input to help you up, but it comes from inside yourself. This is the thing that gives other people inspiration to do it for themselves and this is the reason that it is so important for people like you to share their experiences.

Best wishes

Bill