Dealing with Hernias After an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
jooly
Nov 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi,

I've had an illeostomy since August 2007.It has taken a lot of getting use too.I developed a hernia in 2012 which I had repaired in 2015.It reappeared 2 months later which was very hard to accept.I now sometimes have problems where it becomes very hard and painful I massage it and eventually goes back to normal.I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know what can cause this.

OldCrohnie
Mar 14, 2017 8:42 am

Hi,

I've had two parastomal hernia repairs done. They say they are caused by straining, lifting something too heavy. The muscle wall is weakened by the stoma so you have to be careful when doing anything physical. Talk to your local Stoma Therapy nurse about support garments. There are all sorts of products on the market like belts and undies that help support your stoma and abdomen ☺

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.