Can I Still Get a J-Pouch After Multiple Bowel Resections?

Replies
Views
Iano8
Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

hey I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea if I can still get reversed I was diagnosed with UC in march had emergency surgery in April then to remove colon but I then had to have 2 revision operations for the stoma protruding 1 in June when they cut off 8cms of small bowel then another 1 in July wen another 4cms had to be cut off so 12cms in total people have been telling me that what small bowel was cut off is the length they would need for the jpouch surgery.

ladyjane
Dec 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Was that a prolapse you had?  I have a huge prolapse that I am having a very difficult time managing, and they told me the only thing they can do is cut off the protruding part, and that it can reoccur.  I am nervous about having this surgery as I already lost 2/3 of my large intestine and almost died due to respiratory failure after the initial surgery.  They also told me mine was reversable, but I don't know if I will have the reversal surgery, I have to wait and see, because I have Stage 4 Colon Cancer.  I would be interested in any feedback on this topic also.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.