End Colostomy and Mucus Production Query

Replies
Views
Rosherau
Jan 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi all, if you have an end colostomy and the lower colon is removed, do you still produce mucus out of the anus. Do or are they able to completly remove the lower part of colon and rectum all the way down to inner anal sphincter so that it dosnt produce mucus?

Thank you

Bill
Jan 20, 2017 6:24 am

Hello Rosherau.

As I understand it, they can remove the the whole of the lower colon and sew up the anus so that you have nothing there to produce mucus.

When I discussed the matter with my surgeon he told me that the reason he did not do that straight away was:

1) There might be a chance of a reversal

2 Because he could do the stoma with keyhole surgery but the other operation would need him to open me up which is more complex and has many more risks.

I opted for just  the stoma and cope with the  mucus issue.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.