Managing Skin Irritation Around My Stoma

Replies
Views
Katerina.kits
Apr 23, 2017 11:16 am

hi everyone, it has been a while since I posted in here. 

Just to recap, I had a panproctocolectomy in September due to  colitis and low grade dysplasia cells found in my rectum. However, my colitis has been in remission for 6 years and I just needed the surgery for precaution. I will be having my reversal (j pouch) in may. 

I have a continuous problem of the skin around my stoma being red and sore, I saw my stoma nurse and she put it down to being allergic to the Brava mouldable rings I was using. We changed them to the Adapt rings and my skin started to get better after a week, however I quite regularly leak and output seeps under the bag, my skin then gets really irritated again. It's a vicious circle, just as I get my skin to start healing, I leak and I'm back to square one. 

Any ideas how I can prevent leaks so often or help the skin heal? I have tried the powder and the cream and none make a difference. My output is normal too. Many thanks xx

Bill
Apr 24, 2017 5:29 am

Hello Katerina.

Have you tried a 'stoma-collar' called 'Dermacol' made by Salts healthcare, based in Birmingham UK. www.salts.co.uk

A brilliantly designed device that is a soft rubberised collar, moulded and attached to a ring a bit like the adapt ones.

Although I do not use it for this purpose, I found that it guides the output away from the surrounding skin, which is what seems to be the problemn in your case.

A Salts rep. gave me me samples at a meeting I went to so I presume that the company would send you one or two to try if you contacted them.

MIne are 35mm which fortunately fit precisely around my stoma but I am presuming they do them in different sizes so it might be worth knowing your size before you contact them.

I hope this works for you

Best wishes

BIll

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Katerina.kits
Apr 24, 2017 11:41 am

Many thanks Bill. You are right about the adapt rings, I do find these are what's causing the problem but my nurse wanted me to wear them so I haven't tried without a ring. I look in to what you suggested. Thank you x

DonBrown1943
Apr 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Katerina, as long as I used paste I had sore skin, as long as I used rings I had leaks. I now use barrier strips, cut them to length, form them to a circle exactly the size of my stoma, and I don't have leaks or sore skin. I also use no sting skin barrier and stoma powder. I'll be glad to describe the process if you want me to.