Painful Redness Around Stoma: Seeking Relief Suggestions

Replies
Views
Firefly
Jun 03, 2017 8:02 pm

i have a raised angry red area around one side of stoma. It is extremely painful to the touch and whenever liquid or food passes through the stoma. I have had my iliostomy for ten years without problems until now. I am currently using stoma powder and barrier wipes. The pain occurs even immediately after appliance change. 

Any info as to a product to alleviate this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Angelicamarie
Jun 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Hellofirefly call your stoma nurse like yesterday and have her  take a look a look at your stoma of course tell her what's going on I'm sure she will be able to instruct you from that point!!! Have a pleasant day!!! angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

LadyHope
Jun 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi,  I usually have issues in the warmer months.  The barrier wipes and adhesive remover causes irritation around my stoma.  I found switching products in the summer months help.  Also, if I perspire more because of being out in the sun, I willl definitely have concerns.  When I change my wafer, I try and give myself 15 minutes for my skin to breath without an appliance.  I have a little fan that I stand in front.  My skin goes from bright red to just about normal with no irritation.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!  Sincerely, LadyHope

Ewesful
Jun 06, 2017 12:31 am

I had one and the stoma nurse knew instantly that it was time to move into the concave bond on the bags.  It solved it in a week with noticeable difference in 24 hrs.  Until its healed use the wipe, powder, wipe -- and keep it open to the air when possible.   I wish you the best...

Pooter
Jun 06, 2017 12:52 am

Try using compound tincture of benzoin for skin irritation.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play