Post-Stoma Surgery Fatigue: How Long Did It Last for You?

Replies
Views
Past Member
Aug 18, 2022 10:49 pm

How long were you tired for after your stoma surgery? I'm 2 weeks post op and still feeling like I ran a marathon. 

Homie With A Stomie NS
Aug 19, 2022 12:01 am

Hunny I'm ileostomy since March/22 and just getting some energy back....its a progress you can't rush... eat sleep rest do a little more daily even if it's 5 minutes you will get there.... 

slow and steady wins the race girl....I finially was able to cook 4 times this week for hubby and myself he has been house husband for months... 

You got this, stay strong and carry on

Tracy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Aug 19, 2022 3:36 am

I don’t think most of us realize the degree to how much our bodies have been beat with whatever got you to getting an ostomy. Then, add in having the surgery and even though it’s better, you’re still beat up. I was told(for what I had done) from my surgeon and ostomy nurse that it would take months to heal. So, your 2 weeks is just the beginning of your healing, take Tracy’s advice, relax, and let your body heal up. 

ron in mich
Aug 19, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi Emmie only 2wks. out from surgery you are still in the healing stage and your body is using all its resources for that witch translates to tiredness for you and depending on why you had surgery and what shape your health was all adds up. when i had my original surgery a long time ago the crohns/ colitis had me so worn down all i did was sleep eat and empty my pouch for 2mo. it was slow going but eventually it got better and i went back to work part time for month then full time but i would be exhausted when i got home from work.

Past Member
Aug 19, 2022 7:04 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. It's reassuring to know the tiredness will get better. I had pancolitis with severe inflammation from rectum to transverse colon so I am recovering from that too. Still wake up dehydrated and feeling like I ran a marathon but the days are better because I can sip on drinks throughout.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play