Summer Ostomy Care: Dealing with Sweat, Burns, and Infections

Replies
Views
TullyArabian
Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm

During the summer I sweat and it causes burning and infection around the stoma.  It is about 4" out in some areas.  Someone suggested the Arglaes Powder, but if I put the powder on my barrier will not stick to the skin and I will get more leaks and burns.  Does anyone have a sugestion about how to treat this area?  

vdahl
Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

I spray the skin barrier spray right over the powder and it helps the adhesive to work without further irritation. When I'm especially irritated, I do the 'crusting' thing with 2 or 3 layers of powder/spray.

Hope it's feeling better... your hot weather is just starting to be HOT, isn't it?

As many people have suggested as well, letting the air soothe the skin around the stoma for 15 minutes or so helps.

Good luck, Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ron in mich
Jun 07, 2017 3:03 pm

hi tully are you sure you are not allergic to the barrier youare using, i cant wear the type of barrier that has the tape like bandaid, i have to use the waxy solid barriers from convatec.

LadyHope
Jun 08, 2017 2:15 pm

I have a similar reaction duriing the summer months with my wafer.  I found if I changed barrier wipes, the reaction lessons. During most of the year I use Cavillon. During the Summer I change to either Sensi Care or Brava.  The problem with the latter, my supply company does not stock them so it is a bit of a hassle to call another company to order them.  Also, last year, I began using the adhesive remover more oftern because my wafer would begin to peel after a day or so.  It was a hot summer last year and I aggressively wiped the stoma area and caused a huge, itchy burn reaction on my skin.  It took weeks before it went away.  Ugh!  I will never do that again.  Hope this helps.  Take care.  LH