Skin trouble

Replies
Views
peaches
Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm
I need some help. I've had my ileostomy for over 30 years. Now for some unknown reason, the stoma seems to be flattening out and goes under the bag and then my skin gets so torn up and I have to change more often, which doesn't help my skin either. Should I contact a surgeon and see if he is willing to pull that small intestine out a little? I've been dealing with this problem for almost 6 months now. Anybody have any suggestions? Look forward to anyone that can help.

Peaches

PJT
Aug 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Sounds like you may need a stoma revision Peaches. I've had my ileostomy for 33 years and have had 2 revisions. I would consult a surgeon if I were you.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

peaches
Aug 12, 2011 11:48 pm
Thank you. I think I will.Peaches
noodlepip
Aug 13, 2011 1:27 am
For short-term relief before getting to surgery though,Ask your stoma nurse for the pre bag adhesive rings. FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY-ask her for the pre bag pastepowder(couldn't tell you the names of them, but if you fill her in she'll know which ones.Had the same problem recently, verrry acidic and relentless output. Almost in tears its awful! You poor thing!Powder-Paste(not too thick or spread out! It's fine if it touches your stoma so you'll have a really effective and healing sheid)-adhesive ring then bag! Leave them of for 2/3 days the first two times, it'll be back to normal in no time, and pain relief instantly!Hope you're ok :(xxNoodlepip :)
mooza
Aug 14, 2011 7:01 am
Hey peaches yes please see your stoal therapy nurse asap any one who has experience ok....Also there is eakin seals you can use they have different width's great i know a few numbers for codes i have used eaken 839005 ,839002 some are thicker than other some from other compoanys you can uctually shape it yourself to fit the stoma also i cant use a flat pouch anymore my stoma shape changed after having it moved a couple of times and it kept leaking and iots hell so i do inderstand a right pain in the arse (lingo sorry) i use a shallow base plate so it pushes the stoma out so it cant flatten out also there is a DEEP base plate but my skin ripped no good for me but the Coloplast Sensura shallow base 15537 thats for 25cm stoma Coloplast should pay me lol sorry Oh stoma powder is terrific 25510 cheers mooza please go get help xxxxxxxx

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
mooza
Aug 14, 2011 7:01 am
sorry bout my spelling as well xx please get it checked out there are many products im from Australia so im giving information on What we actually get from our Associations Eckons seals i think Hollister have them and some new companys here aswell good luck please all thses answers are great but to see a a stomal thareapist might give you somthing wonderful a new xxxx mooza xx make life more bearable xx
Past Member
Aug 14, 2011 4:13 pm
Hi Peaches.. i agree with pjt, sounds like you do need to consult you surgeon and see if he can sort this problem out. theres nothing worse than having the skin burnt so badly from leakage from stoma, ouch ive had that happen to me.Dont hesitate to ask you maybe suffering for nothing if something can be done about it..tc ambies..