Daughters' Graduation - Seeking Fashion Advice for Ostomates

Replies
Views
pammer
Jun 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello, I am seeking advise from all you ladies because of

my daughters upcoming graduation.  I am embarrassed 

to say I am a little round at my belly.  Does anyone have a suggestion or know of a product I can get that may

help hold my belly in a little without crushing my bag?

I obviously know I can't wear spanx but is there anything 

to help us ostomates?  I just want to look good on this special day.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you,  Pammer

NotDeadYet
Jun 17, 2017 4:44 am

Pammer-

Are you trying to fit a particular outfit? If not, maybe you could just rethink your wardrobe.

I was a lifetime skinny girl but at 50, cancer added weight (I'll blame it on cancer, not my family's obvious genetic propensity to go from "skinny" to "rubenesque" in the first year of menopause).

I have some dresses that are made of cotton that is a little too thin, so I got some leggings and had my local dry cleaners hem them into "shorts." Never tried Spanx, but I'll guess that leggings hemmed into Spanx are far less effective at tummy-toning, but far better (as they are more forgiving) at bag-toning.

Go ahead and book a few days to go shopping with a friend. It takes a lot of trying-on to get really good at shopping for your body style. Start with color tones, then work toward necklines, arm lines, waist lengths, best belly treatments, best butt treatments... Have you ever seen those women who are 300 lbs but look fabulous? It's not the body, it's the cut of the clothes that make you look like a full-bodied Amazon queen.

I was a tall, thin, shapeless, flat-breasted girl. Looked awkward. Then I figured out the flapper-girl look, and found out that I could wear a full-length shift that fit like a condom that would be obscene with any other girl who had anything more than "Aspiring A" boobs, and I was good to go.

Now, with my new barrel-shaped tummy, colostomy-stretchy-waist requirements, and breasts that got kind of fat so after 50 years of neither wanting nor needing a bra I have to have at least a tank underneath... I'm learning! And shopping!

My point is don't work against what you have, work with it. Start with the most flattering colors (that whole 80's "Color Me Beautiful" with spring, autumn, etc. was actually pretty worthwhile stuff). Then head toward necklines. Never mind the outfit you try on—what does the neckline do to you?

Then arms, then length—gently belted? Two-piece that can still hide a bag? Full length?

I find that patterns hide bags well, but very dark colors do, too. Hours in the changing room.

And, on your special day, if you really feel like the wardrobe isn't good enough, go for a distraction... a dressy corsage, a distracting showy scarf, something to draw compliments. But don't expect a lot of compliments for graduation... everyone is just really focused on their own kids. And your kids will see that you made an effort in your dress or makeup or jewelry or prominence among mommies, and they'll be cool with that.

You'll show up. Lots of parents won't.

Have fun!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

almelia
Jun 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I haven't tried the Spanx brand but I do have some shape wear briefs - I challenged myself to go back to some of my pre-ileostomy 'fitted' dresses - I found just going up a size in the underwear works in holding the pouch flat without crushing. 

There are lots of high street brands out there so you could try beforehand. Or perhaps a pair of the sports shorts would just do the trick? 

honeygirl
Jun 18, 2017 5:55 pm

I too have had challenges with clothing.  As mentioned previously, finding the perfect colour, neckline, length, etc. is key to making you look and feel like a million dollars.  I have found that dresses and also tops with ruching on the side where my ostomy bag is hides alot and is quite flattering.  It even sometimes helps to hold the bag in place and keep the rustle of the bag quieter.  It has been almost 6 years now and I am still searching for clothes that work with and for me.  For panties (underwear) I have purchased some from Weir Comfees www.weircomfees.com .  These are almost made to measure and work well at keeping everything where it should be.

I do like the earlier suggestion of taking leggings and making them into shorts for under a dress or skirt.  I am going to give that a try myself.

Good luck and enjoy graduation day!  I just celebrated with my granddaughter at her graduation and it was wonderful!  I wore the Weir Comfee panty under my dress and it was a carefree day.

LadyHope
Jun 19, 2017 2:51 am

Hi Everyone,  I wanted to share a new product that I found at Walmart.  It is called Slip Shorts.  It reminds me of running shorts but much thinner materital and less tight.  The length is mid thigh, smooth and supportive.  I stumbled upon it the other day and bought a pair to see how it worked and, guess what.... it does.  Just wanted to pass along the information.  Take care.  LH

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play