Newbie has been "initiated"

Replies
Views
beatrice
Jan 08, 2010 2:51 pm
Hi all -- now I feel initiated

Login to see image

-- had my first mess/leakage!

Can't truly call it leakage ... more "operator error". Here's what happened.

Woke up about 4:30 am. Didn't have to pee, so just layed there and touched my bag to see how full it was. I could feel alot of gas. So .... not turning on the side lamp, still in the dark under the covers, I do the burp the bag thing.

Ok -- it didn't register that there may be stools right there over the stoma because I've been laying like that for awhile and maybe the stool hasn't had a chance to get into the bag part (my stools are fairly thick).

Along with the gas came some stool. Felt wet. My soiled hand comes away from the bag and touches the sheets. Getting out of bed, I get other parts of the sheets dirty.

Change my appliance and go back and wipe off the sheets (actually not as much on them as on me). Will do till a sheet change tomorrow. Would have done it right away, but dear Hubby sleeps like the dead.

I know this leakage story is pretty tame but it just made me shake my head at myself ... not looking forward to my first leakage when I'm out of the house!

Anyone else want to share their 'first leakage' story?
gutenberg
Jan 08, 2010 4:20 pm
I wish I could say congratulations but that would be just plain mean. But I'll bet it won't happen again, at least until you forget and then you are truly initiated. After six years I now feel confident, but not until I had a few messes to clean up. Stay positive, and healthy. Ed

PS: Love that dog, only wish I were able to look after one the way they deserve.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Jan 08, 2010 4:59 pm
Oh Beatrice - isn't it just a joy? You surely are now one of the gang...

Not my first, but I think my most awful one was whilst at a staff conference (Kempton Park Racecourse, quite posh) when I was still working. Just had main course at lunch and had stood up to go and queue for the lovely looking desserts they had when I 'sniffed' something .... looked down and spreading across my pale pink top was ... well you can guess! Problem is, I have found that when I start leaking, there is no alternative but to just go home and deal with it; if I start peeling layers off, (and I always wear trousers) it just seems to get worse and I get more covered.... so it was a case of get coat, hold it in front of me, make my apologies to my boss and get in the car. Only thing was, Kempton Park was an hour and a half away from home, so off down the M3 I went at great speed (thinking of what I could say if I got stopped by the Police)! By the time I got part way home, ugh was just everywhere, including running down the side of me on my car seat, so I stopped and rummaged about the car and ended up sitting on a carrier bag to try contain some of it! Made it home in record time and dealt with it.... It has fallen off in restaurants, whilst shopping, dog walking, and many times during the night - I always sleep on a towel now to minimise things in case it does. I've thrown out 3 duvets and had to have some major dry cleaning of my very large and heavy bedspread ........

Quite often I can feel if I am about to leak as I can feel it 'creeping' through the flange and it sort of itches, but nowadays it seems to be the seal between the ring and the bag itself which gives way first. Ho hum....
gutenberg
Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm
Beatrice: Forgive me for butting in (pun Intended).

Rachel: I just gotta know, have you ever gotten an answer to that problem with the ring seal coming apart. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a flaw in production. ED
Gus
Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm
My worst leakiage was when iw as driving interstate . I had gone to bed in the sleeper of the truck and stupidly had been eating sugar free lollies all day. Those nasty little bastards give you gas and the squirts real quick. Anyway I had slept for about 6 hours and woke witj what I call a zeppo. Zeppelin shaped bag solid with gas and liquid and as i ent to get up  it pop open. Shiit and shra[nel went every where and i was covered in it. So I got out of the truck with my wipes and 2 water bottles and stripped my clothes off. I was washing myself down when a highway patrol car pulled into the parking bay. He saw me pulled up behind me and asked me why the f*** I was naked . I showed him my bag and the nice copper got paper towel out of his car and threw them to me. let me clean myself up and fget dressed and was very polite. So yes it will happen and in all honesty don't let it woirry you those baby wipes can do a great job of cleaning you up

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
gutenberg
Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm
Hey Beatrice, if we both have blowouts at the same time maybe we can cover Canada from the East Coast to west and everything meets in Ottawa, nobody would notice, ya think?

Ed
lottagelady
Jan 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Ed, no haven't heard anything - keep meaning to email them but forget......! Thanks for asking. xxx

Gus, that is one hell of a story, will take a bit of beating that one! xxx
beatrice
Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm
Hey Ed!

It is a big country ... but I think we could do it!

Login to see image

beatrice
Jan 08, 2010 10:27 pm
Rachel -- my leakage/mess was a small blip compared to your story!

You sure are dealing with your 'stuff' well. I'm doing ok since my ileostomy ... but that's largely because things have been going along without mishap.

And I think I'm on a bit of a high right now ... the realization that I can handle this and that my life can be fun and pretty darned normal even with a poop bag at the front of my body.

I'm sure the sh*t will hit the fan in many ways for me in the years to come ... hope I handle it as well as you all.

Gus - you do crack me up.

Ed - She's a Blue Chow Chow. My 'kid'.
Gus
Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am
Just remember beatrice,, give it a name and its always ya front bum, cos the back one is broke

Login to see image

Past Member
Jan 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Oh Gus thats funny, roflmbo

Login to see image

thats roflmfrountbo

Login to see image

Hi bea, I have an
ileostomy also 2 yrs now, my first experience with leakage was when I had the car reparied and I was waiting for it. I had felt the bag and noticed it was getting sort of full, in doing so, I also felt a lil wet, running to the BR I check it. Oh Shit !! the wafer was popping off also. Ahhh, I had to laugh, it was a public BR so I had no privacy to change, I cleaned up the bag and around the wafer, and grabbed as many paper towels as I could and put them over the bag and around the wafer, and was greatful for once that the contents was a lil thick, then put my coat on to hide things, ran to manger saying I got an medical problem and when will u be done, I had to wait another half hr, but luckly things didn't get worse, I was so glad when they were done, and I could get out of there, I never drove so quickly to get home, need less to say, I lucked out, the paper towels worked but still had a lil mess to clean up after. ahhh won't forget that one ...

Login to see image

beatrice
Jan 10, 2010 12:19 am
Gus: where did you get that great avatar (I'm not a techie ... but would love to download it)

LovingLife2: That is the sort of mishap that will REALLY initiate me! Anything that happens at home just isn't in the same category

Login to see image

eddie
Jan 10, 2010 12:20 am

Login to see image

The worst problem I got into was at work I'm a nurse I went to the bathroom that is in a hallway that is less traveled to "dump" I was very busy so it was really full when i opened the clamp it went every where all over my panties and scrub pants.  There was noway to get my scrubs cleaned up.  I had to wait half naked peeking out the door hoping to see someone anyone.  Mean while my beeper  keeps going off finially I saw a houskeeper that had no idea what I was talking about but she brought me a clean pair of scrubs from surgery.  I have alot oif accidents but that was the worse.  And yes I did exactly what you did once!!!!

Login to see image

eddie
junopete
Jan 11, 2010 2:57 am
Ed

You were mentioning some defective "ring seals".

A time ago I had several dozen Convatec bags. The extended ones for large capacity, with the tubular drain.  By the way I  went to the large capacity not because of the stool, but because of gas at night.  Some nights I was fine.  Other nights I was awoken, thank my lucky stars, with a football attached to me stomach.  Why that thing didn't burst is beyond me.  It never did.  I will tell you, getting to the bathroom a person would have thought I had a hand full of gold dust and I was not about to let any slip away!

Right where the bag was bunched up and connected to the tube I was getting leakage.  It wasn't like a blow out or anything just a wetness.  It took me several bag changes to actually see where the leakage was.

Rick.....
tiger227
Jan 11, 2010 11:50 am
HI my my Dear Friends

My worse leakage was when I was playing bridge at my local bridge club.

when you play bridge it can last 3 to 3half hrs, and if you are not able to finish the game then it leaves yr partner without anyone to finish the game.

Anyway I am playing at the table and suddenly smelt this horrible smell, I thought some-one had let one go, little did I know it was me.

I made my excuses to leave the table and go to the bathroom, when I went to change my bag it it exloded everywhere, all over the toilet on the floor over my clothes, i was in a terrible mess, the only thing I had to wipe the mess up was the toilet roll, which of coarse was wafer thin.

I was so long in the toilet one of the players came to see if I was ok, the smell hit her for six and she had to wait outside, I managed to clean up the mess give the toilet a spray with the spray I keep in my bag, and made a quick exit, I had used my last bag that I had in my bag, so had to cover my stoma up with toilet tissue until I got home.

It haven't stopped me playing bridge, but I am always on tender hooks incase it happens there again.

I have had a few while I have been out but manage to get to the nearest toilet and sort it out, but never one as embarrasing as at the bridge club.

Love and Hugs to you all

Jean
beatrice
Jan 12, 2010 5:28 pm
I am still trying to find a name for it!  I wanted to call it Miss Poo ... but that is our dog's nickname and has been for years - so that won't work.

Was out with sis ... and she asked me "how's your pouch" (had been out with her before and was glad she asked, as I was full and didn't realize it).

Ugh - don't like the pouch word in public. Would have been so much nicer if she could have said, "how is XXX" doing?
beatrice
Jan 12, 2010 5:31 pm
Wow Jean - that's quite the story (I don't think I'll take up bridge anytime soon

Login to see image

Exploding bags ... do they have to be really full to do that (what I call "operator error") or was it bag malfunction - "mechanical failure"?
Gus
Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm
A lil tip,, dont eat prok if youhave an ileostomy. It creates the foulest smellin gas and can cause what I call a Zeppo. Also a good chance you'll have a major blow off with shit and shrapnell flyin everywhere lol. I have 2 names for mine depending on how its behaving,, Stomy or squirter. self explanatory really,,

The emotes I use are in the smiley thingo on this chat box thingo lol

Login to see image

beatrice
Jan 14, 2010 8:46 pm
The name that seems to be 'sticking' is little guy. Don't ask me why ... but I said to my hubby the other day "just let me check the little guy" before we went out. Sounded good. Told me sis, she said it worked.

So, Little Guy says Hi!
lottagelady
Jan 14, 2010 9:17 pm
Having thought about it since my first post, I would like to warn all you ladies out there who might use a combination of pouches with a velcro type closure and sanitary towels which are sticky on the underside ......

I remember a couple of years ago, in the midst of one of my already 'bad' days, I was sat on the loo... I'd had a pee and was just going to stand up to empty my bag (just cannot manage to do that sitting down!)

Unbeknown to me, when I had initially pulled my knickers down, my sticky towel had stuck to the velcro closure of my pouch and had pulled it down, opening the pouch ..... When I stood up, I found that all the contents of the pouch (which was pretty full and liquidy!) had already emptied into my trouser leg and was starting to seep through my socks and into my shoes. I can laugh about the ridiculous set of circumstances now, but at the time............. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
beatrice
Jan 15, 2010 6:21 pm
Hi Rachel,

This recently happened to me! My sanitary pads are sticky on the underside and have sticky 'wings' that wrap around the crotch area of my panties.  There always seems to be a bit of sticky section that doesn't get stuck to the panty.

I was getting ready to sit on the toilet to empty (I can only do it sitting so far) and pull down the knickers. Thank goodness I pulled down slowly and was looking down - and stopped with I saw that the bottom roll-up area of the pouch was quite securly stuck to my pad.

I'm so careful now!
Mike
Jan 20, 2010 3:40 am

Oh Gus thats funny, roflmbo

Login to see image

thats roflmfrountbo

Login to see image

Hi bea, I have an
ileostomy also 2 yrs now, my first experience with leakage was when I had the car reparied and I was waiting for it. I had felt the bag and noticed it was getting sort of full, in doing so, I also felt a lil wet, running to the BR I check it. Oh Shit !! the wafer was popping off also. Ahhh, I had to laugh, it was a public BR so I had no privacy to change, I cleaned up the bag and around the wafer, and grabbed as many paper towels as I could and put them over the bag and around the wafer, and was greatful for once that the contents was a lil thick, then put my coat on to hide things, ran to manger saying I got an medical problem and when will u be done, I had to wait another half hr, but luckly things didn't get worse, I was so glad when they were done, and I could get out of there, I never drove so quickly to get home, need less to say, I lucked out, the paper towels worked but still had a lil mess to clean up after. ahhh won't forget that one ...

Login to see image

when I had my colostomy surgery I came home from the hospital and  My dr ordered Home health,For 3 weeks And It was fine on the last day I was going to show the home healthhow well I've learned ,SoShe told me to put the bag on by myself I thought I did ok but for one thing I forgot to peelo odff the paper on the back of the wafer so to make a long satory short the bag & wafer fell off
beatrice
Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm
That's what you get for trying to 'show off'

Login to see image

, Mike.

When I was feeling cocky about how well I was changing stuff ... I emptied my pouch onto the bathroom floor -- luckily not in front of anyone.
Mike
Jan 20, 2010 6:36 pm
It's nice to know I'm not alone LOL

Login to see image

Putz
Jan 20, 2010 7:44 pm
Hi All, yes I am a newbie and a newbie here too, My worst mess and first leakage was shortly after surgery and spent the night with a gentleman friend, things went fine all night, but come morning what a mess, woke with waffer lose and everything a wet, Poopie.. sheets, me and him.  No way to sneak out and clean up, he had his arm around me and I couldn't move without waking him..... needless to say i found out what kinda friend he was that morning.

Login to see image

jonnyt41
Jan 20, 2010 11:38 pm
Beatrice, I'm sorry you had to go through that. You will learn some ropes as you go. One suggestion I would make is, before going to the bathroom for the last time every evening, move around! Do a little hula dance or something and get things moving for one last time.

Best of luck to you,

Jon T.
Gus
Jan 20, 2010 11:53 pm

It is your best friend in the whole world Putz,,You can have so much fun with it,, and it's a great ice breaker when you degas in a lift. lol

Login to see image

beatrice
Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm
Hey Jon T!

Things are getting better everyday -- it's not all so new -- and life goes on and I'm doing most of what I want to.

Thanks for the tip about moving around before the last empty of the day.

Another thing I learned is not to have carbonated drinks after about 5pm -- if I want to avoid waking up with a gas balloon by around 3am .  I love soda ... now I only have part of one, or one can (and leave it opened for a bit before drinking, so it's semi-flat). Same goes for Perrier which I also love.
Past Member
Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

It still counts. Congrats! More on overcoming and moving on.
Past Member
Feb 22, 2011 3:59 pm
My worst fear is to discover a leak when I'm visiting, or, in a public loo, when some impatient person keeps trying the door handle, thinking I've been in there far too long. It hasn't happened yet,  but, one of these days it surely will.   At home, within seconds of discovering a leakage,  I can be depositing on the floor, up the walls, trickling down my legs, I try and take off my shoes before starting to investigate the damage..having already thrown out several pairs of slippers. The stoma quickly gets very angry looking, and surrounding skin starts disintegrating if I can't get to sort it quickly, then a new bag is difficult to fit and most likely will come off too. I try and have at least two of everything ready incase of failure, rather than having to be searching for replacements one handed, the other clutching my stomach.

Now, does anyone want me to come and visit them??

Login to see image