Bladder Wafer Wax Buildup - Changing Daily to Prevent Leaks

Replies
Views
Smalls67
May 15, 2018 12:30 am

Anyone ever have the wafer on their  skin barrie have a wax built up  in one day I am changing it everyday . If I don't change  it it leaks

mild_mannered_super_hero
May 15, 2018 1:13 am

have you tried a different brand barrier? is the skin under the barrier nice and healthy or red and weepy?  the key to a good seal is healthy skin, proper skin prep and a properly sized barrier of a brand thats proven to work well with your skin type. some of it is trial and error till you find what works for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
May 15, 2018 5:30 am

Hello Smalls67.   I get a 'wax-like' substance as a residue, mostly around the edge of the wafer. I assumed this was the adhesive hardening and becoming useless. It also  comes loose nearer the stoma but there it is a gooey, sticky mess. Fortunately, between the inside and outside,  there is a circle of adhesive which usually stays in place so I don't bother too much about it and get rid of it with medical adhesive remover spray and a dry wipe. ( toilet tissues are hopeless for this job) In my case, I put it down to the fact that I sweat a lot and nothing much sticks to my skin for long. For certain purposes, I've designed and developed my own baseplates with a two-belt system and no adhesive against the skin. This works better for me and makes all the proprietory stuff last very much longer than the single day use that used to be.

As MMSH says. you need to experiment ans find out what works best for you.

Best wishes

Bill  

Smalls67
May 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Thank you

Smalls67
May 15, 2018 7:30 pm
Thanks for the advice

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play